Formatting output (Terminal)
04-30-2015, 03:56 AM
Formatting output (Terminal)
Hello!

I'm new to the Prime and to this Forum.
Sorry, if this question has already been answered but I did search the www and this place and could't find something.

I want to format the output of a program with escape sequences.

Example:
PRINT("some text:\t"+var1+"\t"+var2);
Assumed "\t" would be "tab".

I tried the example in the manual with "\n" for a new line but in terminal view it prints literally.
I enter backslash via the Chars-menu (Latin 5c 92) and put the sequence inside a string. Am I doing something wrong or are escape sequences not supported?
(Software version 2013 8 13 (5106))

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2015, 05:46 AM
RE: Formatting output (Terminal)
Hello Michael,

I've tried to use CHAR instead of "\t", but it seems, that escape sequences are not supported yet.
Code:
EXPORT testtab()
BEGIN
 local var1:="test tab";
 local var2:=5;
 local tab:=char(9);
 PRINT("some text:"+tab+var1+tab+var2);
END;

Maybe HP could add this to the wish list. @Tim ?

The software in your prime is very old, you should do an update.
The actual software version is 2014 12 3 (6975).

Thomas
04-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Hello Thomas,

thanks for your input.

(04-30-2015 05:46 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  The software in your prime is very old, you should do an update.
The actual software version is 2014 12 3 (6975).

I know, but I have the "problem" to own an OS X-machine without bootcamp or parallels or any Windows on it. Furthermore my computer only has USB 3.0. So I guess updating with my equipment will not work. I managed to install the CK on my workstation at work (thanks to the IT), but without admin-powers the kit can not access the www.

Michael
04-30-2015, 04:45 PM
(04-30-2015 04:09 PM)Michael K-K Wrote:  I managed to install the CK on my workstation at work (thanks to the IT), but without admin-powers the kit can not access the www.

Michael
The firmware is also available for download at http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/.

Here (http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=257593) is a thread about "How to update PRIME Firmware using Files on PC".
Thomas
04-30-2015, 08:13 PM
(04-30-2015 04:09 PM)Michael K-K Wrote:  Furthermore my computer only has USB 3.0. So I guess updating with my equipment will not work. I managed to install the CK on my workstation at work (thanks to the IT), but without admin-powers the kit can not access the www.

The issue with the USB 3 was that in one mode (the updater mode) it reports itself as a mass storage device to the system and the other normal mode as HID. However, in each mode the "product" number was the same. When used on some usb3 ports, the "switch" between the two modes was not being recognized by the system as a change even though there was a power down. The system thinks that the same device is still there and doesn't load the new driver for it.

There is a documented process that involves going into the device manager and manually "removing" the driver. The system then recognizes it and works fine.

You could try just starting in "updater" mode by holding down the SYMB button and doing a pinhole reset. Don't have the connkit started yet. Once in the "update" mode, plug it into the computer and it will load the driver. Then start the connkit and it will ask if you want to update.

Note that it *does* require admin rights since you are doing a direct disk write over the USB. So if admin stuff is locked down on your end by IT then the whole thing may still be an issue! :-)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-02-2015, 06:01 AM
So at the moment there seems to be no way to structure the output on terminal with tabs?

OT:
Thanks for the discussion about upgrading my device - I spend hours and days on this issue before buying the HP Prime and I see no solution. The best would be a CK for Mac. The second best would be to know that the CK and updating would work on my Mac with Parallels and Windows, I would then spend the extra money.
The PC at Work (Windows 7) is no option because of my user-rights (can't even change the wallpaper).

Michael
05-02-2015, 11:25 PM
(05-02-2015 06:01 AM)Michael K-K Wrote:  The second best would be to know that the CK and updating would work on my Mac with Parallels and Windows, I would then spend the extra money.

I cannot vouch for Parallels, but I have only Mac's (and Linux) machines. I use VMware Fusion for Mac running Windows 7 and have no problems using the CK and doing updates on my Prime.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)