Cost of custom calculators
05-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Cost of custom calculators
From a message by Omar Deen in another thread is this interesting item:

Quote:About four years ago I ran into this web site that motivated me to start writing programs for my HP50g

https://www.calculated.com/productcart/p...UQpcpOPWgQ

It's a calculator for a machinist!

I find it interesting that this custom calculator costs only $70, and they have a bunch of other models available as well, across various industries, each with customized labels and keys, and with a variety of displays and keyboard layouts.

Granted, these are probably fairly basic cheap hardware from some Chinese factory, and maybe not up to our expected durability standards, but it demonstrates that someone's able to find a source for customized calculators for something much smaller than the mass market, while still at a reasonable price.

It also demonstrates that, at least in some applications, there is still a demand for physical calculators instead of virtual apps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: Cost of custom calculators
I've seen lots of the Construction Calc and Heavy Calc. They're stoutly made and do the easy functions. The keys aren't click and rotate but I've not heard complaints about them failing. I don't know of any that are programmable but I haven't played with the new smart phone apps from Calculated Industries. Many companies buy them for formen who can scream but not think. They fill a nitch.
05-03-2015, 09:44 PM
RE: Cost of custom calculators
(05-03-2015 03:24 PM)Brian D Wrote:  From a message by Omar Deen in another thread is this interesting item:

Quote:About four years ago I ran into this web site that motivated me to start writing programs for my HP50g

https://www.calculated.com/productcart/p...UQpcpOPWgQ

It's a calculator for a machinist!

I find it interesting that this custom calculator costs only $70, and they have a bunch of other models available as well, across various industries, each with customized labels and keys, and with a variety of displays and keyboard layouts.

Granted, these are probably fairly basic cheap hardware from some Chinese factory, and maybe not up to our expected durability standards, but it demonstrates that someone's able to find a source for customized calculators for something much smaller than the mass market, while still at a reasonable price.

It also demonstrates that, at least in some applications, there is still a demand for physical calculators instead of virtual apps.

If you're willing to buy a run of 3000 scientific calculators they can be yours for only $21000. This is on the more expensive end of the scientific calculator spectrum at alibaba.com...

My guess is that you could probably produce a calculator with custom firmware for even less if you shopped around for suppliers.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)