Next Sci Calculator
06-11-2015, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2015 05:15 PM by Marcio.)
Next Sci Calculator
Does anybody know if HP has any plans of releasing a new scientific?

I doubt they will release anything close to the 42s but they could certainly outsource to Kinpo (again) something like the 35s, you know, without all those bugs, lockups, loss of memory, bad keyboards that miss keystrokes etc etc.

Very much appreciated.

Marcio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 07:59 PM
RE: Next Sci Calculator
Interestingly, of all my complaints about the 35S (and there are a lot of them), the keyboard quality wasn't one of them.

And now we've got the WP-34S, which doesn't have any of those myriad software issues, but sticks us with a janky keyboard...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2015, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 08:52 PM by Marcio.)
(06-11-2015 07:59 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Interestingly, of all my complaints about the 35S (and there are a lot of them), the keyboard quality wasn't one of them.

And now we've got the WP-34S, which doesn't have any of those myriad software issues, but sticks us with a janky keyboard...

If I had to guess, I'd say most of your complaints about the 35s are related to the lack of complex numbers support. Well, for me, it's the keyboard. It doesn't matter how good the calc is, if its keyboard misses keystrokes, it's a real show-stopper because I have to keep checking the screen to see if the data was actually registered.

Edit: I also have a 34s and agree with you. Its hardware (the 30b) is not as good as that of the 35s but at least the keyboard has not missed any keystrokes.
06-11-2015, 09:31 PM
(06-11-2015 08:17 PM)Marcio Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 07:59 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Interestingly, of all my complaints about the 35S (and there are a lot of them), the keyboard quality wasn't one of them.

If I had to guess, I'd say most of your complaints about the 35s are related to the lack of complex numbers support. Well, for me, it's the keyboard. It doesn't matter how good the calc is, if its keyboard misses keystrokes, it's a real show-stopper because I have to keep checking the screen to see if the data was actually registered.

Edit: I also have a 34s and agree with you. Its hardware (the 30b) is not as good as that of the 35s but at least the keyboard has not missed any keystrokes.

Actually, I do very little work with complex numbers in my line of work, so I'm not terribly bothered by that. My biggest issues:

- Total data loss in certain infinite loop situations
- Questionable trig accuracy for certain ranges of input values
- No P->R or R->P functions
- 32KB of RAM that's almost impossible to use effectively due to the 32S style of label and variable naming
- Hexadecimal is an absolute chore to work with on account of some rather stupid design decisions
- Display runs too close to the lower bezel of the screen, obscuring the decimal point if you're looking at it from a low angle (e.g. 18 inches away from you on your desk)
- Excessive battery usage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2015, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2015 12:59 AM by Marcio.)
The fact that programs are identified/labeled by one character only (A..Z) also bugs me a bit. Others will complain that the display won't show all digits in ALL mode. It seems the list of bugs and quirks goes on and on.
06-12-2015, 09:19 PM
(06-12-2015 12:46 AM)Marcio Wrote:  The fact that programs are identified/labeled by one character only (A..Z) also bugs me a bit. Others will complain that the display won't show all digits in ALL mode. It seems the list of bugs and quirks goes on and on.

It's strange that the people who create the professional engineering exams would allow a calculator with questionable accuracy to be used. Even more baffling is the fact that this supposed professional engineering tool apparently received almost no beta testing.
06-13-2015, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 01:35 PM by Marcio.)
Thank you for your inputs.

Eh well, I found these in this thread - 35s program checksums.

(01-23-2015 02:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Given the 35S role as the last RPN Calculator HP will make (thus HP-35 "bookends") it is particularly sad that early on, HP chose to not fix the problems, thus more and more 'bad' machines enter the market, making a recall (or whatever) even less likely due to the increasing liability. No doubt it occurred during a management change in the calculator group (statistically likely anyhow...). Given the real cost numbers and HP's focus shift from quality to operating margin, I'm not sure I would have made a different decision were I in that seat, but I'd like to think I could have argued that treating it that way would guarantee it would be the final machine of that type.

Anyhow, thank you Marcus and Didier for giving me good reasons to take out my 35S and love it a bit more. I look forward to your results.

With all due respect, could anyone confirm this?

Thanks
06-13-2015, 02:02 PM
(06-11-2015 09:31 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  - 32KB of RAM that's almost impossible to use effectively due to the 32S style of label and variable naming
What's wrong with indirectly addressing variables or labels composed from one letter and a program step?

I think this is the strong side of the 35s: Having lots of program and variable space but still maintaining easy one letter variables.

OTOH, the equation editor is terrible compared to the one used e.g. in the 27S mainly due to one-letter variables.
06-13-2015, 02:05 PM
(06-13-2015 01:26 PM)Marcio Wrote:  With all due respect, could anyone confirm this?
Only those who won't tell, if true.

Well, the 35s sells. I imagine it would be replaced only if supply of CPUs ends.
06-13-2015, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 02:36 PM by Marcio.)
(06-13-2015 02:05 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  
(06-13-2015 01:26 PM)Marcio Wrote:  With all due respect, could anyone confirm this?
Only those who won't tell, if true.

Well, the 35s sells. I imagine it would be replaced only if supply of CPUs ends.

Well yes, that is correct, but my question however was more like Is the 35s the last RPN calculator by HP?

As we have seen, the 50g is now discontinued and the Prime came out. HP could continue making scientific calcs for NCEES (whatever that is) but if what that gentleman says is right, this might be the end of HP non-graphing RPN calculators.
06-13-2015, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 03:39 PM by Thomas Radtke.)
(06-13-2015 02:34 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Well yes, that is correct, but my question however was more like Is the 35s the last RPN calculator by HP?
Oops. I left out one preliminary thought: There's a market for the 35s, and it exists because it is the best calculator allowed for a US exam [whose name I cannot remember].

Where would you place another pocketable scientific? Engineers moved to RPL long before, and even this market seems to be shrinking to a point where manufacturing the 50g is no longer justified (Edit: The Prime is no replacement imo).

It's over for good.
06-13-2015, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 04:10 PM by Marcio.)
(06-13-2015 03:36 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  
(06-13-2015 02:34 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Well yes, that is correct, but my question however was more like Is the 35s the last RPN calculator by HP?
Oops. I left out one preliminary thought: There's a market for the 35s, and it exists because it is the best calculator allowed for a US exam [whose name I cannot remember].

Where would you place another pocketable scientific? Engineers moved to RPL long before, and even this market seems to be shrinking to a point where manufacturing the 50g is no longer justified (Edit: The Prime is no replacement imo).

It's over for good.

Unquestionably. But the question remains unanswered: Did the RPN line of scientific calculators end with the 35s? R. Prosperi seems to think so.
06-13-2015, 07:15 PM
(06-13-2015 03:53 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Unquestionably. But the question remains unanswered: Did the RPN line of scientific calculators end with the 35s? R. Prosperi seems to think so.

He absolutely does. But, this is only an opinion, and you know what those are worth. I have no inside information, access to secrets, etc. It's simply a conclusion based on the pricing demands of the market, the educational focus of the Prime, and a realistic assessment of the RPN-buying market size.

I doubt very much if I'm wrong, but I really, really do hope I am. Wink

--Bob Prosperi
06-15-2015, 07:43 AM
(06-13-2015 07:15 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-13-2015 03:53 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Unquestionably. But the question remains unanswered: Did the RPN line of scientific calculators end with the 35s? R. Prosperi seems to think so.

He absolutely does. But, this is only an opinion, and you know what those are worth. I have no inside information, access to secrets, etc. It's simply a conclusion based on the pricing demands of the market, the educational focus of the Prime, and a realistic assessment of the RPN-buying market size.

I doubt very much if I'm wrong, but I really, really do hope I am. Wink

Me too.. It will be great to have a 35s replacement with the new design (30B, Prime) and in-house firmware).

Anyway, I'm already getting stock... I got an almost new 32S II for 40 euro last week. No box, no manual, just calculator and pouch (but I already have a couple of both...). That is one of my favourite models, and it would be a tragedy not to have an operative one!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)