Is the HP-75c valuable at all?
06-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Is the HP-75c valuable at all?
Hi,

My father was going through his old gear, and asked me to sell his pristine condition HP-75c for him.

I've listed it on eBay for quite a low starting price, and it did occur to me whilst listing that I could inadvertently be giving away a massive bargain if this is a super collectible item!

The calculator works perfectly, has the owners PAC magnetic strips and some games, and has all of the accessories.... Would this have a high value to a collector? Or is it just an old calculator in your eyes?

It does seem to carry some history with it as from what i understand it's the first "computer" ever made or something like that (can't remember exactly what my dad said)

Thanks for your help on this!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2015, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2015 10:54 PM by d b.)
RE: Is the HP-75c valuable at all?
The price on ebaby is usually the going price, just be definition.
Make sure you spelled Hewlett right and have all the dog whistle words included for searches like calculator (even though it isn't), programmable, card reader, works (your dad tested it for you, right?) and mention the manual if you have one. Include a good close up of the screen because when those go they are gone, and another close up of the battery compartment & mention any flaws. Folks don't mind cleaning up battery burp but don't want to be surprised. There used to be a difference between, for instance, HP75C and HP-75C. A long time ago, I think Mike D said the hyphen covered both but the unhyphenated wouldn't call up the other, so use them both somewhere just to make sure.

About the price; there was a glut in the market about 14 years ago when a bunch of these were sold for $3 per. The price has probably risen a little bit. I found one at the local flea a of year later for $6. I figured I saved on the shipping so I treated myself to a tostada de cebiche.

Have you considered buying it from him and then getting him to show you how to use it? If you do any kind of engineering, having one of these on your desk is a real conversation starter with the old timers (that's most of us here).
06-12-2015, 11:00 PM
(06-12-2015 09:40 PM)ostego Wrote:  Hi,

My father was going through his old gear, and asked me to sell his pristine condition HP-75c for him.

I've listed it on eBay for quite a low starting price, and it did occur to me whilst listing that I could inadvertently be giving away a massive bargain if this is a super collectible item!

The calculator works perfectly, has the owners PAC magnetic strips and some games, and has all of the accessories.... Would this have a high value to a collector? Or is it just an old calculator in your eyes?

It does seem to carry some history with it as from what i understand it's the first "computer" ever made or something like that (can't remember exactly what my dad said)

Thanks for your help on this!

Though debatable, HP claimed it was the first Portable Computer.

The 75C/75D was never a popular machine, due mostly to its very high cost. When the 71B came out less than 2 years later, smaller, cheaper and more modular, plus having all its internals/design info available in the IDS Docs, the high-end community moved to the 71B and didn't really look back.

There definitely were 75C fans, and a fair number of programs appeared in the PPC Journals, etc. but interest faded, and only a few fans remain, it seems. Several of us here at the MoHPC Forum dabble with them, since we couldn't get one to use back in the day. A nice machine, but it's quite different from the 71B, and going back and forth can be frustrating.

I recently observed a 75C listed on ebay for $50, working fine, nice cosmetic shape, leather case included. It ran for 2 weeks but never got any bids. A bit shocking, IMHO.

But you've found the right place to inquire and ask around.

--Bob Prosperi
06-13-2015, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 01:42 AM by Dave Britten.)
There's a general rule I use to estimate the value.

Models starting with "HP" are usually valuable, unless they also end in "B".

(With the 9100B being the exception to that exception.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2015, 08:00 AM
The only 75C I can find is already above my limit (currently 77.37 EUR) with nearly one week to go. If this is yours, you'll make a good deal imo.
06-13-2015, 10:53 AM
(06-13-2015 08:00 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  The only 75C I can find is already above my limit (currently 77.37 EUR) with nearly one week to go. If this is yours, you'll make a good deal imo.

Oh wow, yeah, that shot up over night! This could get interesting
06-13-2015, 11:47 AM
(06-13-2015 10:53 AM)ostego Wrote:  Oh wow, yeah, that shot up over night!
With some help of a certain thread I guess Tongue.

Good luck.
06-13-2015, 12:13 PM
(06-13-2015 11:47 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  
(06-13-2015 10:53 AM)ostego Wrote:  Oh wow, yeah, that shot up over night!
With some help of a certain thread I guess Tongue.

Good luck.

Tongue Given that it's quite a niche area, am sure this forum captures a lot of the target market!

Has been interesting hearing about it's history too. I'm too comfy with modern computing to ever go back to using one of these, but I know my dad used it loads for his work, and getting this was pretty much the turning point in his working life moving towards efficiency and general computing, so it was a pretty spectacular machine back in the day!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)