30b discontinued?
01-12-2014, 10:52 AM
30b discontinued?
For two years, there were rumours about the discontinuation of this model. Normally, I don't really care for the fate of financial models but this is different IIRC. I didn't find anything reliable, however, searching the forum archives. Especially Tim or Cyrille didn't confirm unless I've missed something. Are there any hard facts available?

TIA for enligthenment.

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: 30b discontinued?
IDK if you consider these to be "hard facts", but I present the following observations as evidence that the HP 30b is no longer being manufactured:

1) I recently purchased five new HP 30b calculators, and the serial numbers on all of them suggest that they were manufactured in 2010, which is over 3 years ago. The latest date code is 046, 46th week of 2010.

2) The latest review I could find on the HP website is dated November 19, 2010.

3) All sales in the North American market are third party, such as eBay, Amazon etc.

4) There is no HP customer support for this product.

5) It is not being sold in brick and mortar stores in the USA.
01-14-2014, 08:48 PM
The 30b used to be sold in Office Depot stores in Southern California, but I have not checked recently. It kind of fell off the face of the Earth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2014, 09:18 PM
(01-14-2014 08:48 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  The 30b used to be sold in Office Depot stores in Southern California, but I have not checked recently. It kind of fell off the face of the Earth.

IMHO, between assumed nonexisting items in unchecked "Office Depot stores in Southern California" and "off the face of the Earth" a real lot of space remains, doesn't it? Wink

I find it most interesting how little response to my easy question is observed so far. I particular, the usual suspects stay quiet. I wonder why.
  • If the 30b continues to be produced, what's the reason to keep that fact secret? Hey, I don't want to know how long the 30b is going to be manufactured, I just want the state as it is now.
  • And if production ceased (or will cease soon) for any reason whatsoever, well, that's HP's decision anyway so why not speak out? I think the community would be happy to buy the last 100 units for a reasonable price.
I don't understand the silence but would like to do.

d:-?
01-15-2014, 02:21 AM
(01-14-2014 09:18 PM)walter b Wrote:  I don't understand the silence but would like to do.

Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps the (conjectured) retirement of the 30B will coincide with the (hypothetical) release of a new calculator? That would be a more ordinary reason to stay mum.

On the other hand, broadcasting your product plans, whatever their content, is probably not smiled on these days.

Regards,
Howard
01-15-2014, 03:52 AM
(01-15-2014 02:21 AM)Howard Owen Wrote:  On the other hand, broadcasting your product plans, whatever their content, is probably not smiled on these days.
Interesting point Smile Would you mind speculating a bit more on that?
01-15-2014, 04:22 AM
The classic example is the Osborne Effect.
01-16-2014, 03:35 PM
So by putting together info from several threads:
1. There's speculation that the 30b, and several other calculator models, may be discontinued.
2. When a calculator is discontinued its price on eBay skyrockets (e.g 15C LE).
3. Reconditioned 30b's are going for $11 on eBay, and NIB for $19.

The conclusion is we should stockpile quantities of cheap 30b's, sell them in a couple of years, and make a little money on the side. Does that sound right?

Dave
01-16-2014, 08:35 PM
That may be right IF the speculation in clause 1 materializes.

d;-)
01-17-2014, 05:54 PM
(01-15-2014 03:52 AM)RMollov Wrote:  Interesting point Smile Would you mind speculating a bit more on that?

There's not a lot of material to speculate on. Firstly, they might not be retiring the 30B after all. Given the assumption they are, they might decide the niche they were after with the 30B is not worth filling. Finally, if both of those assumptions break the right way, the only clue I can see to any possible follow on calculator is the feature set of the 30B. The 30B has a rather unusual combination of business and math functionality. It's also dead cheap. My guess is that fact that you can flash it may not be a big factor in product plans for that particular niche.

On the other hand, the wish lists of this community have often shown up in HP products before now. The 15CLE is a prime (ahem) example. But we've also seen keyboard improvements, default RPN modes, large enter keys on the left and a public SDK for designing new calculators on top of an inexpensive, reflashable machine. It may not be entirely due to sympathetic engineer's desires.* This community is small, but influential. We tend to be evangelists for the traditional style of HP calculator. That makes us a marketing resource for HP in a social network sort of way. If we all joined Facebook we could amplify our influence and get more freebies. (I'm ducking my head in anticipation of outraged responses to that idea. Smile

* That's not to say that the same persons may not be sympathetic to our interests and smart enough to see the marketing advantage in our advocacy.

Regards,
Howard
01-20-2014, 02:06 AM
Or perhaps the model is:
  1. Order a production run
  2. Sell calculators
  3. Repeat previous until nearly sold out
  4. Evaluate continued sales potential
  5. Repeat from top if justified by expected sales

By stockpiling calculators you may contribute to their continued availability. Smile
01-20-2014, 03:27 AM
Thanks, my views are quite similar...
02-22-2014, 12:33 AM
It's alive, it's alive !

So, today I was shopping at my local Office Depot store for a new wireless router, and guess what I saw on sale there ? If you said the HP 30b, you'd be correct. I looked at the backs of the packages, and saw on two of them the serial numbers 4CY321xxxx, which I believe correspond to a manufacturing date in the 21st week of 2013. This is about 9 months ago, and suggests that maybe manufacturing hasn't completely stopped on these. A third HP 30b on display had the s/n 4CY02402547, which would be the 24th week of 2010, and is consistent with the five I bought from Larry Bach.
02-22-2014, 12:50 AM
One data point not mentioned yet is what HP.com says is available from HP. The current site (in USA) does NOT have the HP 30b listed. In fact the only 7 models listed there are Prime, 10bII+, 17bII+ (Silver), 12C Platinum, 35S, 12C, and 50g.

This does not mean all other models are formally discontinued of course, but it is a clear message of what HP is trying to sell. If other models remain "in production" it is likely (imho) they won't be for long.

Too bad, too as the 30b is an inexpensive and sweet little machine, both as-is, but also as a platform for these custom projects (which keep growing :-) )

--Bob Prosperi
02-22-2014, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2014 01:21 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
I checked Office Depot's website and what they're hyping is a 30bII.

A new model? Nope, just mental inertia. Ancient history.

Dave
02-22-2014, 08:09 AM
(02-22-2014 12:50 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  One data point not mentioned yet is what HP.com says is available from HP. The current site (in USA) does NOT have the HP 30b listed. In fact the only 7 models listed there are Prime, 10bII+, 17bII+ (Silver), 12C Platinum, 35S, 12C, and 50g.

This does not mean all other models are formally discontinued of course, but it is a clear message of what HP is trying to sell. If other models remain "in production" it is likely (imho) they won't be for long.

Too bad, too as the 30b is an inexpensive and sweet little machine, both as-is, but also as a platform for these custom projects (which keep growing :-) )

I checked HP.com (of USA) right now and got 9 models listed. This site is well known for quality Wink The corresponding German site lists 12 models. Neither one, however, mentions the 30b.

Anyway, I share your feelings concerning the 30b. It's a very (!) nice playground. If the community had any significant funds it should stock (stack? Wink ) what it can get hold of this model for further developments since this is the only available model featuring a decent keyboard, small size, and some display flexibility. We never had something alike before. Thanks to Cyrille and Tim! It would be even nicer with a display like the one of the 17bii but that's another story.

Still no definitive statements about production status though.

dUndecided
02-22-2014, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2014 09:46 PM by rprosperi.)
Curious that we get different results from the same(?) USA website.

I type in: http://www.hp.com/calculators and it ends up at:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/calcul...umn&page=1

...and it still shows me only the 7 models I noted.

Walter - where did you go (typed what and ended where)? and what other models are listed on "your" view of the hp.com (USA)?

Also, which other models are shown on the German site?

Of course there are regional differences, the difference between 7 and 12 models is notable and interesting.

Thanks

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)