HP19BII: Is it still worth anything?
06-18-2015, 02:46 AM
HP19BII: Is it still worth anything?
I have an HP 19BII in its original packaging that I purchased back in 2005. I was wondering if this calculator is still worth anything to anybody. It was purchased when I enrolled in a MBA program at a local university. There is a long story why this calculator was never used, stored in a box and forgotten. I found it in a box with some other items about a year ago and have been wondering since then what to do about it. It still has the price tag on it, and the local store I got it from is not around anymore. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2015, 07:21 AM
RE: HP19BII: Is it still worth anything?
(06-18-2015 02:46 AM)celsoglima Wrote:  I have an HP 19BII in its original packaging that I purchased back in 2005. I was wondering if this calculator is still worth anything to anybody. It was purchased when I enrolled in a MBA program at a local university. There is a long story why this calculator was never used, stored in a box and forgotten. I found it in a box with some other items about a year ago and have been wondering since then what to do about it. It still has the price tag on it, and the local store I got it from is not around anymore. :-)

If it is such a late model, it will probably have the new battery door (in the back, instead of in the side as earlier models). This makes it quite desirable, as the side battery door is prone to failures (both in the door and in the calculator body). It also has a bit darker body plastic.

If you take a look arround auction sites you will see that those calculators often sell between $100 and $200, or even more in "new old stock" units as yours. They are interesting models for collectors... (apart from fantastic models for users, as they combine with the obvious, and complete, financial functions, a big 3 line screen, HP solver application, full set of scientific functions, list based statistics...).
06-19-2015, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the input. I did look on eBay just before I created this post, and there were some HP 19BII listed. However, I was not sure if they were selling. I noticed the prices were all over the place from $40 to over $200. What I am going to do is to watch some of those eBay auctions for now and see how much people are paying for them. I may also try to sell it locally through Craigslist since there are a couple of universities and community colleges in my area.
06-19-2015, 02:53 AM
(06-19-2015 02:32 AM)celsoglima Wrote:  Thanks for the input. I did look on eBay just before I created this post, and there were some HP 19BII listed. However, I was not sure if they were selling. I noticed the prices were all over the place from $40 to over $200. What I am going to do is to watch some of those eBay auctions for now and see how much people are paying for them. I may also try to sell it locally through Craigslist since there are a couple of universities and community colleges in my area.

Well, I'm interested in buying it, although I am kind of broke after buying a 41cv, but if you not sell it in month or so I can buy it for a reseanable price. I live in Brasil, if you not care to send it here, shipping cost is for my account, of course.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
06-19-2015, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2015 03:14 AM by John R.)
(06-19-2015 02:32 AM)celsoglima Wrote:  Thanks for the input. I did look on eBay just before I created this post, and there were some HP 19BII listed. However, I was not sure if they were selling. I noticed the prices were all over the place from $40 to over $200. What I am going to do is to watch some of those eBay auctions for now and see how much people are paying for them. I may also try to sell it locally through Craigslist since there are a couple of universities and community colleges in my area.

You can filter eBay search results to display only sold items. The sale price gives a much truer picture of the actual market value than the asking price. ("Ask and ye shall receive" certainly does not apply to eBay.)

The current going price for a rear-battery-door HP-19BII in good condition seems to be about $125. A side-battery-door variant in good condition will net around $75. A side-battery-door variant with battery-area damage might go for $25. You'll get more for any of these if you are selling with the manual, accessories, or box....

John

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)