the prime have other Hidden functions?
07-03-2015, 02:03 AM
the prime have other Hidden functions?
Hello everyone,I have a question ,the prime have other Hidden functions,For example,we can press "On"and"-"or"+"key to control the Screen brightness.I only know this Hidden function,Anything else??Thank you very much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2015, 05:18 PM
RE: the prime have other Hidden functions?
(07-03-2015 02:03 AM)dajiang1314 Wrote:  Hello everyone,I have a question ,the prime have other Hidden functions,For example,we can press "On"and"-"or"+"key to control the Screen brightness.I only know this Hidden function,Anything else??Thank you very much!

Calling [On]+[+] and [On]+[-] "hidden" is a stretch, since they are fully explained exactly where they should be:

(1) Quick Start Guide, page 10 (English edition)
(2) User Guide, page 4 (English edition)
(3) The online Help system, in the entry for the On key, which also explains 4 other On-key combinations.

HOWEVER, it would be interesting and useful to have a list of all the as-yet undocumented RPL commands, Prime keystroke functionalities, and any other "secret" features.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2015, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 12:24 PM by DrD.)
(07-03-2015 05:18 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  HOWEVER, it would be interesting and useful to have a list of all the as-yet undocumented RPL commands, Prime keystroke functionalities, and any other "secret" features.

Would: C + F + O + ON; // held at once until diagnostic screen appears.
qualify?
07-04-2015, 11:22 AM
(07-03-2015 05:18 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  HOWEVER, it would be interesting and useful to have a list of all the as-yet undocumented RPL commands, Prime keystroke functionalities, and any other "secret" features.

The SORT command appears to have an undocumented "rotate left" capability. ;-)

[Image: 19404294835_c7a5415034_q.jpg]
07-04-2015, 04:52 PM
(07-04-2015 11:22 AM)BruceH Wrote:  The SORT command appears to have an undocumented "rotate left" capability. ;-)

Nice... issue raised.

Note that I've also raised up your problem of sorting one list based on another. I am thinking an expansion to the sort that allows specifying the element, maybe a function to do the sorting with, and ability to have optional "dependent" lists to sort using the same order might be nice enhancement...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
07-04-2015, 08:34 PM
(07-04-2015 04:52 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 11:22 AM)BruceH Wrote:  The SORT command appears to have an undocumented "rotate left" capability. ;-)

Nice... issue raised.

Note that I've also raised up your problem of sorting one list based on another. I am thinking an expansion to the sort that allows specifying the element, maybe a function to do the sorting with, and ability to have optional "dependent" lists to sort using the same order might be nice enhancement...

Thanks Tim. So something like...

a) A simple option is to allow SORT to take a second list as a second parameter.

Given
Code:
name := { "Bird", "Jordan", "O'Neal" }
height := { 2.06, 1.98, 2.16 }

then SORT(name, height) would return names ordered by height. Conveniently this doesn't break any existing code as SORT currently only takes one parameter.

Dependent lists could be as simple as SORT(name, age, height) but the problem here is a conceptual one: what is the return value (as two lists are changing but only one can be returned)?

I think it will be fine just to do:
Code:
name := SORT(name, height);
height := SORT(height);

b) A more powerful version, drawing on the ANSI C "qsort" approach, allows the user to specify a comparison function e.g.:
Code:
SORTB("compare(a,b)",  { {"Bird",2.06}, {"Jordan",1.98}, {"O'Neal",2.16} } )

EXPORT compare(a, b)
BEGIN
  IF a(2) = b(2) THEN RETURN 0;
  IF a(2) < b(2) THEN RETURN -1;
  RETURN 1;
END;
07-05-2015, 05:10 AM
The "more powerful" version is already implemented in the CAS sort function
name := [ "Bird", "Jordan", "O'Neal" ];height := [ 2.06, 1.98, 2.16 ];
sort(transpose([name,height]),(j,k)->j(2)>k(2))
07-05-2015, 07:25 AM
(07-05-2015 05:10 AM)parisse Wrote:  The "more powerful" version is already implemented in the CAS sort function

Thanks Bernard. Clearly I need to learn to RTFM!. ;-)
07-05-2015, 06:22 PM
(07-05-2015 07:25 AM)BruceH Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 05:10 AM)parisse Wrote:  The "more powerful" version is already implemented in the CAS sort function

Thanks Bernard. Clearly I need to learn to RTFM!. ;-)

Hello Bruce,
I don't think that "rtfm" will be enough, there is a lot to try out,as not everything that works in xcas also works on the prime, some examples of working xcas -commands can be found in this thread. But I do not have the time to try everything.
Arno

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)