Commas on entry line
07-07-2015, 04:03 AM
Commas on entry line
I am new to the Prime and would like to know if there is a way to automatically enter commas on the entry line like the HP33, as a water operator we sometimes enter millions typed out as 1,000,000. Without commas I have to carefully look to see if I entered the correct number of 0's.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2015, 04:52 AM
RE: Commas on entry line
Update to last firmware and go to Settings in Home, check "Digit grouping".

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Hello,

You will NOT see the "," as you type the number, but you will see them as soon as you press enter which is already quite helpful.

You would be surprised at how many ways they are to enter numbers.
Separators every 3 digits, every 4 digits, every 3 then every 2. Using comma, points, spaces, ticks... they are basicaly too many cases used int he world to handle them all and to accept them as inputs (some being mutually exclusive of course).
Some country also accept mutually exclusive syntax depending on context!

Cyrille
Find all posts by this user
07-07-2015, 12:08 PM
(07-07-2015 04:03 AM)chrisru Wrote:  I am new to the Prime and would like to know if there is a way to automatically enter commas on the entry line like the HP33, as a water operator we sometimes enter millions typed out as 1,000,000. Without commas I have to carefully look to see if I entered the correct number of 0's.

No, it's not possible on the edit line (AKA entry line, command line, and input line). That feature is only possible on simple models which do not have edit lines, and which can assume you're always keying in numbers. No edit-line model (e.g. the RPL machines) has had, or can have, digit separation during numeric entry.

Imagine typing the list {123,456,789}. Is that a list of three numbers, or of one number with automatically-inserted commas? There's no way to tell, hence it's impossible to design a command line interface that automatically inserts commas AND which correctly parses whatever the user types in.

In case it's any consolation, your request has been made a zillion times (1.3 zillion to be exact), but nobody to date has also suggested a way to implement it without totally screwing up the command line interface.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)