HP 35s bad keyboard
07-19-2015, 03:23 PM
HP 35s bad keyboard
I had my 35s for a few months and already the '+' key is no longer operating properly. Basically it works every 3 pressures. I'm used to type on calculators the same as on PC keyboards and my 15C is still perfect after more than 3 decades.
So I will no longer recommend the 35s to new comers for that simple reason.
I still have the 50g ok but having seen the inside of the case, I no longer trust this is durable fabrication.

I have a question: is there a calculator with a decent keyboard on the market, even non Hp?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2015, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2015 09:28 PM by Marcio.)
RE: HP 35s bad keyboard
The first 35s I bought had this very same problem with the division and the ENTER keys. It drove me nuts. It was a huge let down for me as I simply can't trust a machine that misses keystrokes. I hate having to check the screen to see if the data was actually registered. So I got rid of it and bought a new one, which seems to be working as expected.

Anyway, although I sympathize with your bad experience, I don't think that is a common occurrence.
07-20-2015, 05:51 AM
(07-19-2015 03:23 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I had my 35s for a few months and already the '+' key is no longer operating properly.

I am using my 35s since September 2007, i.e. for almost eight years now, and the keyboard still is perfect. Mechanically it's the best calculator keyboard I've ever used, comparable to my good old 41C when it was new. I really like it.

(07-19-2015 03:23 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I have a question: is there a calculator with a decent keyboard on the market, even non Hp?

Yes, it's called HP35s. Too bad your sample turned out to have a defective keyboard. Since it's only a few months old you may have it exchanged by HP. In any case the problem you described is neither common nor typical. Get another 35s and everything should be fine.

Dieter
07-20-2015, 06:10 AM
(07-19-2015 06:56 PM)Marcio Wrote:  [...] I don't think that is a common occurrence.
Don't know. Mine has a cursor key that needs a firm pressure, but I always thought this was due to those four keys not being hinged (excellent argument against this silly game-controller arrangement everyone seems to expect nowadays).
07-20-2015, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 06:27 AM by Marcio.)
I can't comment about the vintage models, but I would say that every HP calculator line released after 2000 had units with defective keyboards. I heard the 49g's was simply disgusting. For me, the keyboard of the 50g has been the gold standard when it comes to tactile feedback and responsiveness. And guess what, I have seen people complain that some keys won't register.
07-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Compared with the 30b the 35S' keyboard is perfect.

About HALF the 30b models (total acquired c 37) I've bought had defective keyboards & were rapidly replaced by HP - good service, poor product.

About ONE FIFTH of 35S (total acquired c 36) have defective keyboards, again service worked admirably.

QC must stand for Quantity Completion.
07-20-2015, 08:53 AM
(07-20-2015 06:19 AM)Marcio Wrote:  I can't comment about the vintage models, but I would say that every HP calculator line released after 2000 had units with defective keyboards. I heard the 49g's was simply disgusting. For me, the keyboard of the 50g has been the gold standard when it comes to tactile feedback and responsiveness. And guess what, I have seen people complain that some keys won't register.
I had the same issue on the 50g but it was related to the keyboard scan frequency (KEYTIME).
07-20-2015, 09:58 AM
(07-20-2015 06:19 AM)Marcio Wrote:  I can't comment about the vintage models, but I would say that every HP calculator line released after 2000 had units with defective keyboards.
I don't remember anybody complaining about an HP Prime defective keyboard.
07-20-2015, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 11:21 AM by Marcio.)
(07-20-2015 08:53 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 06:19 AM)Marcio Wrote:  I can't comment about the vintage models, but I would say that every HP calculator line released after 2000 had units with defective keyboards. I heard the 49g's was simply disgusting. For me, the keyboard of the 50g has been the gold standard when it comes to tactile feedback and responsiveness. And guess what, I have seen people complain that some keys won't register.
I had the same issue on the 50g but it was related to the keyboard scan frequency (KEYTIME).

Actually I have seen people return their machines (50g) because of dead keys, keys that won't work at all, no matter how many times or how hard one presses them.

I suggest you replace your 35s with a new one if you like the scientific kind. The Casio FX 115 ES plus is a good calculator, costs about one third, offers more features, doesn't have as many bugs (if any at all) - I think the same applies to the TI 36x Pro - but they are not RPN nor programmable. If you ask me, the solution here is to pack the 35s with 3rd party programs to compensate for the missing features and some of the bugs related to loss of accuracy. I know there is a bit of work involved but you are rewarded with a durable RPN scientific with good keyboard, lots of memory, retro look and easy keystroke programming. A very good tool for everyday work that has all features readily available on the keyboard, not buried in menus like the Casio or the TI.
07-20-2015, 10:47 AM
(07-20-2015 09:58 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 06:19 AM)Marcio Wrote:  I can't comment about the vintage models, but I would say that every HP calculator line released after 2000 had units with defective keyboards.
I don't remember anybody complaining about an HP Prime defective keyboard.
I do: many people including myself complained about the colors that require black light to be visible.
07-20-2015, 02:35 PM
[/quote]
many people including myself complained about the colors that require black light to be visible.
[/quote]

My eyes are almost 60 years old and I can read the prime's keyboard just fine. Granted, in dim light it's a little hard to read. If you would just throw out those compact florescent bulbs and get some good ol' 100 watt incandescent bulbs, everything will be fine. Smile
07-20-2015, 03:08 PM
many people including myself complained about the colors that require black light to be visible.
[/quote]

My eyes are almost 60 years old and I can read the prime's keyboard just fine. Granted, in dim light it's a little hard to read. If you would just throw out those compact florescent bulbs and get some good ol' 100 watt incandescent bulbs, everything will be fine. Smile
[/quote]
Or have a keyboard that you can use in dimmer light, like all other calcs but the Prime.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)