3D-printable battery covers and battery packs?
08-14-2015, 02:43 AM
RE: 3D-printable battery covers and battery packs?
I follow up in thanking Dave and Nate. Realy great and generous work.

My set arrived within merely 2 weeks including overseas shipping.

Side and port covers fit perfectly. Greater remover of port cover might get you into trouble with an attached card reader. Cannot check at the moment as it is 4 am here and getting to a reader will wake up children/wife. Then I have more troubles than a HP41 with missing parts ;-).

Holding down clamp of battery holder is a little bit to wide on my copy. But nothing you cannot fix within seconds with a cutter.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2015, 06:20 AM
(08-05-2015 03:06 PM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  I've just ordered a complete set (4 port covers, side cover and battery tray) taking advantage of a discount coupon available on facebook (50OFF; suposedly gives you 50%off, but it gave me about 25%... not sure why;sent the guys an email).

Got the answer from shapeways; 50% discount was limited to US$10 before taxes, so the price they applied me is correct.

(08-05-2015 04:18 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Here's a source for battery contacts, thanks to Sylvain.

My parts should be delivered today/tomorrow, I'll have to look for for battery contacts... only two are needed for the tray; will these do the work? How do you keep them in place? I don't think that glue is an option...
08-14-2015, 11:26 AM
I got mine today, seems that shipping came from Netherlands.

So my CL now has got a new yellow coat. Smile

[Image: clgialla.jpg]

Thank you very much to all who worked on this project!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2015, 12:08 PM
(08-14-2015 06:20 AM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  My parts should be delivered today/tomorrow, I'll have to look for for battery contacts... only two are needed for the tray; will these do the work? How do you keep them in place? I don't think that glue is an option...

Of course you can use yours'. They are the same, only unnecessary counter parts left off. As > 20 € shipping costs are too much I played around with these, these and these, soldering together pairs with silver wire and a drop of super glue where necessary. Works. Original battery springs are not fixed at all. Maybe when bowing a little bit spring force of duals is enough for glueless solution.
08-14-2015, 12:09 PM
(08-14-2015 11:26 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I got mine today, seems that shipping came from Netherlands.

Seems that the picture is not available... :-(

Yellow is a good contrast for Black... it will look like a Fluke now... :-)
08-14-2015, 12:13 PM
(08-14-2015 12:08 PM)Sadsilence Wrote:  Of course you can use yours'. They are the same, only unnecessary counter parts left off. As > 20 € shipping costs are too much I played around with these, these and these, soldering together pairs with silver wire and a drop of super glue where necessary. Works. Original battery springs are not fixed at all. Maybe when bowing a little bit spring force of duals is enough for glueless solution.

Whops! I had USA "pre-selected" as delivery country (sometimes I order goods to be delivered to my company office there if I have a scheduled trip, and save shipping costs). But US$27 seem quite a lot for shipping to Europe... I'll indeed choose other option, thanks!
08-15-2015, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2015 02:20 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(08-14-2015 11:26 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I got mine today, seems that shipping came from Netherlands.

You need a car to go with your CL. Smile

[Image: UFbCe-wPhJGvPnqdpHjHyjdn6H5n7DwBS09xSqaa...61-h709-no]
08-15-2015, 11:45 AM
(08-14-2015 12:09 PM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  Seems that the picture is not available... :-(

I copied the picture URL (right click on the empty space) and pasted it into a new browser tab. It works at least here in Germany on a hotel wifi network. YMMV

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
08-15-2015, 12:30 PM
This is just an attempt to get Massimo's photo to display here. If it does, click it for the full size version. If it doesn't, please ignore this posting.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
08-15-2015, 01:04 PM

Massimo - What is the cable for? It looks like a CAT5/6 from its size - have you created some form of Ethernet interface for the 41C? ;-)

--Bob Prosperi
08-15-2015, 01:39 PM
I have received this week my HP-41 3D Print covers.
Unfortunately, they forgot to print the yellow side covers and thats why it is missing in the pictures album.

HP-41 3D Print Covers
https://flic.kr/s/aHskeN7AMv
The pictures name are showed when you hover the mouse over one and let it stay there for a second.

In general the components are very well made but as you will see in the pictures there is sometime a little inconsistency in the final result.
As an example, the yellow battery cover fit nicely but the red battery cover did not fit, I had to cut some part to make it fit and even after that you really have to push hard to insert it in the available space.
Also, the spring holder extrusion is missing in the model, resulting in the springs dropping on the floor when the batteries are not there to hold them.
Finally, the battery space is very tight, unfortunately not enough tight to hold the batteries if no metal battery tighter is there and too tight if it is.
In conclusion, with little modifications to the battery holder model, it could be great, now it is a very nice workable first version.

Best regards,

Sylvain
08-15-2015, 02:09 PM
(08-15-2015 01:04 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  

Massimo - What is the cable for? It looks like a CAT5/6 from its size - have you created some form of Ethernet interface for the 41C? ;-)

Hi Bob, that's Diego's USB power adapter.

Greetings,
    Massimo

08-15-2015, 02:34 PM
LOL, it's always something with me;

how about making colored versions of the clamshell bushing ?

I was going to paint one of mine, but a 3D printed one in the appropriate color wouldn't be subject to the paint wearing off.

Wink

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
08-15-2015, 06:26 PM
(08-15-2015 02:09 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Hi Bob, that's Diego's USB power adapter.

Ahh, makes sense; I've never seen one before. Thanks.

--Bob Prosperi
08-16-2015, 04:58 PM
I just realized that I forgot something very important.

THANK YOU Nate for designing these parts & Dave for putting them on Shapeways.

I have put a small piece of cardboard under the spring to hold them in place, solving the in my eyes the only major issue.
I will oder the missing yellow side cover and two complete sets (polished orange & polished white) later today.
I find that the orange is the best match for the brown case, then the yellow, red and white are great statement colours.

Thanks again and best regards,

Sylvain
08-17-2015, 01:45 PM
(08-15-2015 11:45 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  
(08-14-2015 12:09 PM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  Seems that the picture is not available... :-(

I copied the picture URL (right click on the empty space) and pasted it into a new browser tab. It works at least here in Germany on a hotel wifi network. YMMV

I probably was something related to my company's restrictive internet policy... I can see it at home. Sorry for the inconveniences...
08-17-2015, 01:54 PM
(08-17-2015 01:45 PM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  
(08-15-2015 11:45 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  I copied the picture URL (right click on the empty space) and pasted it into a new browser tab. It works at least here in Germany on a hotel wifi network. YMMV

I probably was something related to my company's restrictive internet policy... I can see it at home. Sorry for the inconveniences...

I think my provider has something to do with this...
I myself can't see it right now! :(

Greetings,
    Massimo

08-17-2015, 04:51 PM
(08-17-2015 01:54 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(08-17-2015 01:45 PM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  I probably was something related to my company's restrictive internet policy... I can see it at home. Sorry for the inconveniences...

I think my provider has something to do with this...
I myself can't see it right now! Sad

You may be rigth... I cannot see it now either...

By the way, my parts arrived today. I'm not as brave as you and ordered the classic black... the fit nicely without any adjustment, I only need to find some springs and i will be ready!

Thanks to all involved in the project!
08-18-2015, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2015 09:11 AM by emece67.)
Surely somebody can help this absolute newbie on 3D printing.

When uploading the .stl files to shapeways.com, they ask me the length units used in the models (mm, inches, m). What must I select?

I suspect they are mm (I've opened the .stl file with a text editor and the magnitude of the numbers there seems mm to be a reasonable unit), but cannot be sure.

Thanks to all.

Edit: apparently, shapeways has offices at both sides of the Atlantic, three in the States and one in Eindhoven (Netherlands). Thus I expect the shipping costs to be reasonable at both sides.
08-18-2015, 12:52 PM
(08-18-2015 09:07 AM)emece67 Wrote:  Surely somebody can help this absolute newbie on 3D printing.

When uploading the .stl files to shapeways.com, they ask me the length units used in the models (mm, inches, m). What must I select?

I suspect they are mm (I've opened the .stl file with a text editor and the magnitude of the numbers there seems mm to be a reasonable unit), but cannot be sure.

If you want to order the discussed parts, you don't need to upload the stl by yourself; they are already uploaded:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6RWPEF...li=ostatus
https://www.shapeways.com/product/T45W4Q...li=ostatus

If you are uploading your own files; it depends on what you used while designing the parts.

(08-18-2015 09:07 AM)emece67 Wrote:  Edit: apparently, shapeways has offices at both sides of the Atlantic, three in the States and one in Eindhoven (Netherlands). Thus I expect the shipping costs to be reasonable at both sides.

I ordered both items on top links (4 port covers, side cover and battery tray) and it was 36€ (shipping from NL to Spain and promotional 10$ discount included).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)