Math Books
08-06-2015, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2016 01:50 AM by compsystems.)
Math Books
Danica_McKellar

1: 2008. Math Doesn't Suck (Las matemáticas no apestan)
2: 2009, Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra …
3: 2010. Hot X: Algebra Exposed.
4: 2012. Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape.

Source
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danica_McKellar
http://danicamckellar.com/math-books
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2015, 01:21 AM
RE: Math Books
Winnie Cooper grew up and became a math star. She even has a theorem named after her, as I recall.

I used her first book when I taught a class of 3 8th grade girls algebra several years ago. They enjoyed the book, but I'm not sure they learned that much math.
08-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Whenever I see the covers of these books, I can never tell if they're trying to parody the style of trash teen magazines, or if they're genuinely copying the style as a sales tactic.

Either way, I'm all for tearing down silly misconceptions like "boys don't like smart girls".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2015, 03:50 PM
(08-10-2015 03:22 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Whenever I see the covers of these books, I can never tell if they're trying to parody the style of trash teen magazines, or if they're genuinely copying the style as a sales tactic.

Either way, I'm all for tearing down silly misconceptions like "boys don't like smart girls".

I imagine it's a little of both.

I think it's great that stars like Danica McKellar and Mayim Bialik (Blossom) are helping girls understand math, and demonstrating that anyone can really do it. Girls are just as capable as boys of learning, and sometimes loving, math.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)