help my hpprime does not start [solved]
09-11-2015, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2015 12:55 PM by primer.)
help my hpprime does not start [solved]
Hello,
I got my hpprime today.
when I unpack it, I tried to switch it on, nothing occured.
then plug it to power, then I could switch it on. I checked firmware version (6975).
I played a little, and switch it off about 4 hours to let the battery to be charged.

then I unplug it... try to switch it on... impossible, battery didn't charge at all !?

then I decided to update firmware, I installed CK (20150617) after a lot of difficulties I finally get the 8151 firmware installed on the calculator (despite I used USB2 port...)

I let the calculator plugged to check if battery is charging.. (is there a diagnostic builtin tool to know if the batterie is at least working, I only get 100% indicator)
after about 20 minutes plugged, I unplug the usb, hpprime directly stop... batterie didn't charge even few %

I'll charge for 8 hours to see..

Please, I need help.
it's a brand new calculator I've just buy from amazon, do you have such experiance ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 09:47 PM
RE: help my hpprime does not start
(09-11-2015 09:19 PM)primer Wrote:  it's a brand new calculator I've just buy from amazon, do you have such experiance ?

Can you try one thing for me? Please open the battery case in the back (the two small screws), remove the battery and then put the battery back in. Leave the back cover off for a while during our test. Now try plugging in the calculator again and see if it charges. Leave it for at least 5 minutes and then remove the cable and see if it remains on. It will most likely report that your battery is low but not immediately power off.

If so, screw the battery cover back on, plug it in to charge for an hour or two and you should be good to go.

If not, please report back here.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-11-2015, 10:01 PM
(09-11-2015 09:47 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Can you try one thing for me? Please open the battery case in the back (the two small screws)
is there any risk that avoid the waranty ?
09-11-2015, 10:25 PM
The simple act of undoing those two screws to open the battery can in no way void the warranty. Now if you started opening the whole unit and taking it apart that would be a different thing. The battery is meant to be user serviceable if needed.

TW

09-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Hi Tim, I did it,
(09-11-2015 09:47 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  ... It will most likely report that your battery is low but not immediately power off.
(...)
If not, please report back here.
Bad luck, it went immediately off.

and I test it twice...
09-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Ok, now please do the same thing but while the battery is out, connect the usb cable. The calculator should power on. If it powers on, now put the battery back in the calculator. Leave it plugged in for a few minutes and remove the cable.

TW

09-11-2015, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 11:38 PM by primer.)
hpprime went on, then I put back battery, but Still not OK....

strange by the way to see 100% displayed while battery is removed.
09-12-2015, 04:36 AM
I think you will have to contact support. I don't see anything else to try. Sorry about that. :-(

TW

09-12-2015, 07:41 AM
(09-12-2015 04:36 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I think you will have to contact support. I don't see anything else to try. Sorry about that. :-(

On the provided "limited warranty customer care" document, I found the phone number I must call from my country (france) : 01 4993 9006

But this number is not assigned !

:-(
09-12-2015, 01:32 PM
(09-12-2015 07:41 AM)primer Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 04:36 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I think you will have to contact support. I don't see anything else to try. Sorry about that. :-(

On the provided "limited warranty customer care" document, I found the phone number I must call from my country (france) : 01 4993 9006

If I were you, I'd not bother trying to deal with HP and just return the calculator to Amazon for a refund. In my country (USA), you can return defective items to Amazon for a refund within the first 30 days of ownership and they will pay the shipping costs.
09-12-2015, 07:26 PM
(09-12-2015 07:41 AM)primer Wrote:  On the provided "limited warranty customer care" document, I found the phone number I must call from my country (france) : 01 4993 9006

Please send me an email and your contact information. I really would like to recover that unit so we can examine it in detail to determine what went wrong. A contact email to reach me direct is calchelp <at> hp.com and I'll get back to you with information.

If you do decide to just return that it is your choice, but I hope you will contact me so we can try to determine what went wrong with it.

TW

09-12-2015, 09:38 PM
(09-12-2015 01:32 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 07:41 AM)primer Wrote:  On the provided "limited warranty customer care" document, I found the phone number I must call from my country (france) : 01 4993 9006

If I were you, I'd not bother trying to deal with HP and just return the calculator to Amazon for a refund. In my country (USA), you can return defective items to Amazon for a refund within the first 30 days of ownership and they will pay the shipping costs.

I guess it is even better. Consumer rights in the EU warrant, that the dealer owes you a working article. Within the first half year after purchase it is assumed that a non working article was broken at time of delivery. Therefore there is no need to bother with HP. **

I think it is worthwhile to follow Tim's suggestions first in order to learn what caused the error. But eventually Primer should return the Prime to Amazon for an exchange. My experience with Amazon's (Germany) behaviour on exchange of defective goods is very positive.

At least we can state that this a very strange behaviour, not normal for the Prime.

** This is valid for Germany, but I believe it is valid for France too.

HTH Günter
09-12-2015, 11:17 PM
Hi,
thank all of you for your support,

To be honnest, I was very sad, yesterday night...
I buy that calc for my daughter. I'm a former hp48sx and gx users, and I loved it.
I knew that issues remain on hpprime, not nothing that a firmware upgrade can fix, so I was confident this device will become stronger. First I had to fight against teacher advices, also it's not on shelves store here... we were very exited to get it. But when we start to understand battery was dead... even my wife told to take casio 9750gii as advised...
I was so disapointed and... sad.
So, thank you for today proposals.

(09-12-2015 09:38 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  But eventually Primer should return the Prime to Amazon for an exchange. My experience with Amazon's (Germany) behaviour on exchange of defective goods is very positive.
This morning, I went to amazon, I found I can "return", but I wasn't interrested by refund. I didn't see "exchange", I may missed it.

After a while I had the idea to google defective phone number, and I found another one that can be called on monday (if it can help anyone, here it is : 0969 323 365) .

(09-12-2015 07:26 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Please send me an email and your contact information. I really would like to recover that unit so we can examine it in detail to determine what went wrong.
That's nice from you, but shall I sent it to you in USA ?
I emailed you.

Best Regards.
09-17-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: help my hpprime does not start [solved]
Hi,
Just to let you know at issue is now fixed, thank to the help of Tim.
It was fast and efficient. That's great, hp employes do really take care of customers.
Thank you.
Regards,
primer Wink
09-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Hi Primer,
Can you tell us what the problem was?
May be also interesting for other forum members.

— Dirk Hartland
09-17-2015, 07:44 PM
No clue. The "resolution" was getting a replacement and the other is heading back to us for detailed analysis.

TW

09-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Okay Tim,
Thanks for your answer. A very nice solutions, indeed.

— Dirk Hartland
03-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Hi,
I unboxed my physical Prime the day before yesterday. It is a "hardware version C" (G8X92AA#B1S) and is now upgraded from Rev 6030 to 8151. It indicates 100% full battery but still after hours of charging it instantly dies when I disconnect the USB cable.

I have tried disconnecting the battery and it doesn't matter if the calculator is switched on or off when the battery is put back. Problem remains Sad Is this a rare problem or am I likely to get another faulty calculator if I try to get a replacement?

I live in Sweden and sadly the only reply I got from HP support here is:
" There is no longer any support from HP for this product "

JanneF

Compatibility is just a mishap in the art of violating the standards!
03-03-2016, 03:56 PM
(03-03-2016 03:02 PM)JanneF Wrote:  Hi,
I unboxed my physical Prime the day before yesterday. It is a "hardware version C" (G8X92AA#B1S) and is now upgraded from Rev 6030 to 8151. It indicates 100% full battery but still after hours of charging it instantly dies when I disconnect the USB cable.

I have tried disconnecting the battery and it doesn't matter if the calculator is switched on or off when the battery is put back. Problem remains Sad Is this a rare problem or am I likely to get another faulty calculator if I try to get a replacement?

While waiting for Tim to notice your request and supply a more official and authoritative answer, you may try a few things.

1.- Charge the battery
I remember to read in these forums an issue with the battery level indicator reported by other users. Basically, the battery level may exhibit 100% full charge even when the battery is almost drained.
I have to say that my Prime has no such issues and the battery level works normally for these kind of devices and technology.

Also, USB computer ports may not supply the required current to charge the battery in a short period of time.

So, the first thing to do would be to put the Prime to charge for several hours (say, at least 6 hours) using the supplied AC charger.

2.- Replace the battery
The next thing to do is to make sure the original battery is not faulty, by replacing it with a good condition battery.

Well, if you already have opened the battery compartment to check the battery, then you may as well try another 3rd party battery (as long as it is compatible).
For example you may try the Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300 battery.

The reasoning here is like this:
Batteries tend to dye with aging, specially when stored in a shelf for too long without any residual charge. Or the internal battery circuitry can be faulty as well.
When these faulty batteries are put to charge, they can show full charge after a very short time, even if they didn't receive any significant amount of charge.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-03-2016, 06:50 PM
(03-03-2016 03:56 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 03:02 PM)JanneF Wrote:  Hi,

While waiting for Tim to notice your request and supply a more official and authoritative answer, you may try a few things.

1.- Charge the battery
I remember to read in these forums an issue with the battery level indicator reported by other users. Basically, the battery level may exhibit 100% full charge even when the battery is almost drained.
I have to say that my Prime has no such issues and the battery level works normally for these kind of devices and technology.

Also, USB computer ports may not supply the required current to charge the battery in a short period of time.

So, the first thing to do would be to put the Prime to charge for several hours (say, at least 6 hours) using the supplied AC charger.

2.- Replace the battery
The next thing to do is to make sure the original battery is not faulty, by replacing it with a good condition battery.

Well, if you already have opened the battery compartment to check the battery, then you may as well try another 3rd party battery (as long as it is compatible).
For example you may try the Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300 battery.

The reasoning here is like this:
Batteries tend to dye with aging, specially when stored in a shelf for too long without any residual charge. Or the internal battery circuitry can be faulty as well.
When these faulty batteries are put to charge, they can show full charge after a very short time, even if they didn't receive any significant amount of charge.

Thanks a lot Jose, you made my day Smile
The very second I installed my new Samsung battery the Prime started!!

Also, the "battery charge" icon now shows the yellow flash indicating that it is actually charging...

Again, thanks!

JanneF

Compatibility is just a mishap in the art of violating the standards!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)