Connecting x49gp to real HP50G
09-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Connecting x49gp to real HP50G
I'm scratching my head with this one, frankly. All I can find on the subject is to mount the SD card image on Linux, copy some stuff to it, then unmount it and fire it up in x49gp. I can't see any way to connect to the hp50g instance (i.e. via a USB cable).

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Funnily enough, HP's "official" emulator will do this fine.

(Post 30)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2015, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 09:14 AM by Gerald H.)
RE: Connecting x49gp to real HP50G
A near answer:

If you want to connect a 49G to a 50g you can use the standard cable delivered with a new 49G connected to this

http://commerce.hpcalc.org/serialcable.php

connected to the 50g and adjust I/O settings.
Find all posts by this user
09-23-2015, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 01:02 PM by Claudio L..)
RE: Connecting x49gp to real HP50G
(09-23-2015 08:49 AM)brickviking Wrote:  I'm scratching my head with this one, frankly. All I can find on the subject is to mount the SD card image on Linux, copy some stuff to it, then unmount it and fire it up in x49gp. I can't see any way to connect to the hp50g instance (i.e. via a USB cable).

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Funnily enough, HP's "official" emulator will do this fine.

(Post 30)

You can't.
I don't see why it would surprise you that the official emulator is more polished. This was an open source project done by one developer to provide a more accurate emulation of the hardware on the 49g+ and 50g (the ARM models). This emulator is the only one out there that can do that. It succeeds at this task, but the front end is not very user-friendly (more developer oriented).
All others emulate the Saturn processor directly, so they are also faster than x49gp, and that's perceived by the final user as an advantage.
Unless you need to emulate special programs with direct hardware access (like C programs, or grayscale, etc), an end user will probably be happier with another emulator.
While there has been a maintainer over the past few years, very little was done since the original author dropped the project.

It wouldn't be too hard to add a couple of menus in the UI to open/save calculator images, to do a hard reset or mount/unmount SD cards, and even copy/paste things into the stack, it just needs a dedicated developer willing to do it. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened in all these years. It's a shame, x49gp is a great project, but that's the world of open source.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)