News from Swissmicros!
12-20-2015, 04:38 PM
RE: News from Swissmicros!
rprosperi date[align=justify' Wrote:  line='1450628233']

Walter was referring to a post in another Forum (Not quite HP Calculators - but related) within this same site.

There are no forums at TOS - most TOS customers use these forums.

Thank you! But still trying to guess what TOS means... E-bay was TAS, but TOS...
[/align]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2015, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 05:22 AM by d b.)
(12-20-2015 04:38 PM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  But still trying to guess what TOS means... E-bay was TAS, but TOS...

TOS = That Other Site that must not be mentioned here - google for HP41 and you'll find it.

BTW, your double question was already answered [Formerly a link to a another thread which said nothing but split to two more threads, all three being written by walter. Yes, he likes to quote himself] a bit earlier.

HTH

d:-)
12-20-2015, 05:23 PM
(12-20-2015 04:42 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(12-20-2015 04:38 PM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  But still trying to guess what TOS means... E-bay was TAS, but TOS...

TOS = That Other Site that must not be mentioned here - google for HP41 and you'll find it.

BTW, your double question was already answered here a bit earlier.

HTH

d:-)

Sorry, I don't know how that could happen... Maybe posting from my handy had something to do....
12-20-2015, 07:42 PM
(12-20-2015 04:42 PM)walter b Wrote:  

Can someone explain how TOS became unmentionable here? Was there some sort of fallout between WF and DH over the documents, perhaps? Even with TOS, I still consider the museum document set indispensable because it can be very difficult to find something in the middle of a manual using TOS's HTML interface.
12-20-2015, 10:49 PM
(12-20-2015 07:42 PM)quantalume Wrote:  
(12-20-2015 04:42 PM)walter b Wrote:  TOS = That Other Site that must not be mentioned here - google for HP41 and you'll find it.

Can someone explain how TOS became unmentionable here? Was there some sort of fallout between WF and DH over the documents, perhaps? Even with TOS, I still consider the museum document set indispensable because it can be very difficult to find something in the middle of a manual using TOS's HTML interface.

The history is old and not really too exciting; best to just search old posts where it has been explained many times and read it, rather than dredge it up again.

TOS also offers a DVD with full PDF manuals (not page-by-page). Warren updates it about every other year or so, depending on how many contributions he receives. As you would expect, the TOS DVD is narrower in focus, but it is also deeper in that area. In general, there is not too much overlap except for very basic manuals, etc.

Like the MoHPC USB drive, the TOS DVD is easily worth it's low cost, and every fan should have both available.

--Bob Prosperi
01-07-2016, 09:03 PM
I suggest to remove all the offtopic stuff: Please stay focused! I have ADHD and you make me remember my worst situations in conversations Big Grin

Any news about Swissmicros? I would love new hardware for WP34S/WP36S/WP43S/WP999S Big Grin
01-15-2016, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 06:34 PM by Namir.)
Swiss Micro Products on Amazon
Amazon is now offering Swiss Micro's DM-15 and DM-41 credit card sized calculators!! Good move for Swiss Micro!

Namir
02-01-2016, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 09:55 PM by PANAMATIK.)
Bug report:

The original HP-15C could offer a maximum of 448 program steps. The DM-15L version M1B contains up to 232 registers, which can be configured to offer up to 7*229 = 1603 program steps (calculated with my DM-15L Smile ), thus the DM-15L can handle more than 1000 program steps. But the original microcode, although prepared for memory expansion, cannot display 4 digits as step number, although the new LCD display could do. Additionally, program step 1000 doesn't show its program code correctly, it shows 000 - 000000 instead. Program steps above 1000 will be shown correctly, except for the only 3 digits program number.

Interestingly, as far as I tested it with a short program and only two labels, program step 1000 and steps above will be executed correctly.

Great job. ... and I don't expect you to change the HP microcode.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
02-09-2016, 03:46 AM
I read somewhere here recently that SM had released the DM11L, but I now see they've also introduced the DM12L. Seen on the Home page and Order page, it costs 121USD like all the other Voyager L models.

It appears to be a 12C, not a 12CP.

Congratulations to Michael and SM for completing the classic Voyager line in full size!

--Bob Prosperi
02-09-2016, 07:56 AM
(02-09-2016 03:46 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  I read somewhere here recently that SM had released the DM11L, but I now see they've also introduced the DM12L. Seen on the Home page and Order page, it costs 121USD like all the other Voyager L models.

It appears to be a 12C, not a 12CP.

Congratulations to Michael and SM for completing the classic Voyager line in full size!

Don't you miss the DM10L?

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2016, 03:20 PM
(02-09-2016 07:56 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Don't you miss the DM10L?

You are completely correct Massimo, I forgot the HP-10C. I almost always forget the 10C. And other than for collecting reasons, we should forget the 10C. It offers nothing that isn't much better in the other Voyager machines, so no reason for SM to bother making a 10L, IMHO. For original Voyagers, its low cost initially justified it's place in the lineup, but low sales led to it's early demise, somewhat proving folks prefer better functionality, even at higher cost. But since there seems to be much demand for these new "L" models, it would not surprise me to see one come out.

There were huge numbers of 11C users and even though "inferior" to the 15C in several ways, many folks prefer it, so adding this one to the SM lineup was a good choice.

After a year or so, it will be interesting to ask Michael to share a percentage breakdown of "L" sales by model.

--Bob Prosperi
02-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Does the 16L firmware have the same key response fix as the 15L? If so, I might have to order one this week.
02-10-2016, 04:05 AM
(02-09-2016 03:56 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Does the 16L firmware have the same key response fix as the 15L? If so, I might have to order one this week.

Probably has the same fix, as the 16L f/w is the same version (19) and date as the 15L version. Unlikely SM fixed one and not the other one.

--Bob Prosperi
02-10-2016, 08:06 AM
(02-09-2016 03:56 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Does the 16L firmware have the same key response fix as the 15L? If so, I might have to order one this week.

The keypress problems are removed for the DM-16L, as well.
02-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Firmware version #19 has an ugly PSE bug (cf. thread #5662) - SwissMicros is working on a solution.
02-10-2016, 02:02 PM
(02-10-2016 01:49 PM)rflesch Wrote:  Firmware version #19 has an ugly PSE bug (cf. thread #5662) - SwissMicros is working on a solution.

Duly noted. I rarely use that instruction myself. I usually want the program to run in one of two ways: as fast as possible, or wait indefinitely for me to read a result.
02-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Sure - the PSE command is essentially useless. OTOH I remember the stir in the community when HP came up with the 15c-LE and a nasty PSE bug was discovered... The big difference is that SwissMicros CARES about bugs. Whereas the LE is orphaned. Same with the iOS version of the LE. The program has bugs and nobody cares.
12-15-2016, 11:46 PM
I just received my first swissmicro calculator which is a DM16L.
The calculator came in a leatherette case in a plastic bag (zip-locking) inside of a cardboard box which is about the size of an index card and 1/2" thick.

I had an HP16C for several years back when they were current. I lost it during a move in 2001. I still have my HP32C and have been using that for long enough that I don't remember buying it.

Reading this forum got me interested in having an HP16C back. My HP32C has no HEX key, it's multiple key-presses to move from DEC to HEX and I go back and forth quite frequently. Also the HP16C has boolean calculation and masking which the HP32C cannot do.

As soon as I found out about Swissmicro and after reading the comments on here, I was pretty sure that I wanted in on this movement so I ordered the DM16L, even if it was not a clone of an HP product. Just having RPN and HEX/DEC was worth the price of admission - i like the idea of a NEW RPN calculator company! I am still happy I bought the DM16L and am looking forward to further improvements in swissmicro's offerings. However, that said, I just now also bought an HP16C on eBay for $150. The last time I looked on ebay for one of these was quite a while ago and they were very expensive (perhaps I make more money now? OR they really were more money?).

In the DM16L, keys and key-click are adequate, the display is great. One thing I noticed right off is that when programming, pressing numbers to store a numeric value into the program generates one program step for each numeric button press. I don't remember the HP16C working that way. I remember that my HP25 stored an entire numeric value in one keypress, as my HP32C does. Also, while the DM16L does put STO 3 in a single program step, when you hit STO, the screen doesn't change until you press the numeral, at which point it shows the completed instruction, like this:
008- 44 3

Perhaps I'm getting too geeky? The 16C was nicer in its presentation of the intermediate step during programming and having the entire numeric value in a single step is a nice thing while editing and debugging a program.

Is there a copy of a manual for the DM16L or the HP16C around someplace?

Tadd
12-16-2016, 03:59 PM
(12-15-2016 11:46 PM)tadd Wrote:  ...
There is a full PDF copy of the HP HP-16C Owner's Handbook in color included in the Museum Document Sets (Version 8.0) available for $38.

Obviously, the entire set contains MANY more documents than just this one manual, but you might find the set very handy.

Alan
12-16-2016, 04:13 PM
(12-16-2016 03:59 PM)striegel Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 11:46 PM)tadd Wrote:  ...
There is a full PDF copy of the HP HP-16C Owner's Handbook in color included in the Museum Document Sets (Version 8.0) available for $38.

Obviously, the entire set contains MANY more documents than just this one manual, but you might find the set very handy.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I have placed an order.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)