Connectivity Kit Program view/edit - STO arrow
10-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Connectivity Kit Program view/edit - STO arrow
Using the program viewer/editor in the connectivity kit I cannot figure out how to reproduce the STO arrow other than the typical highlight and copy one that already exists. Is there a special key combination while entry via a PC keyboard using the connectivity kit program editor that does this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2015, 05:48 PM
RE: Connectivity Kit Program view/edit - STO arrow
(10-05-2015 04:55 PM)gregreenwood Wrote:  Using the program viewer/editor in the connectivity kit I cannot figure out how to reproduce the STO arrow other than the typical highlight and copy one that already exists. Is there a special key combination while entry via a PC keyboard using the connectivity kit program editor that does this?

You can use another assignation (these do the same):
Code:
3▶A
sto(3,A)
A:=3

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. However I am not sure it specifically answers my question so let me rephrase. What PC keyboard combinations or sequences will reproduce the right arrow assignment? I am intrigued by the first example you gave assigning the value of 3 to A. I think you got that by copy and paste from the connectivity kit viewer. My question deals with how to create that arrow without using the calculator keyboard and not already having a copy somewhere else.

In my specific case I am trying to assign an equation to one of the solver equation locations so my program would look something like:
"my_equation" (right arrow) E1;
10-05-2015, 06:53 PM
There are different ways. Google for entering unicode chars in Windows.

http://unicodelookup.com/#▶/1

But using sto or := is way easier. Unicode will get you in troubles when copying and pasting, etc if one of the apps don't fully support it

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Thanks again.
Trying the different suggestions I can see that:
sto("A=3.14*R^2",E1);
does not work although the checker finds no issue but at run it throws the error:
!No variable in the equation

However E1:="A=3.14*R^2" checks and runs correctly so I guess i will stick with that.

cheers.

Pitty HP choose to use non standard characters for programming.
10-05-2015, 09:32 PM
OK solution found. The secret.
While in the connectivity kit with the program window open to a program. If you want the right arrow assignment, hold down the ALT key on the PC keyboard and with the number pad enter 272.

by the way
the pi character is ALT+ 227
the Ohm character is ALT + 234
The later two conform to the 8 bit standard for extended characters.

Would be nice if this was documented somewhere.
10-05-2015, 09:36 PM
OPS!!! I am in erro. ALT + 272 shows an arrow but it slightly larger that the assignment arrow and throws a syntax error.
Sorry. I will check better before posting again.
10-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Hello,

> E1:="A=3.14*R^2" checks and runs correctly
You should use E1:='A=3.14*R^2'

Your version stores a string in the E1 variable. I believe (not 100% sure) that there is some code to transform the string in a function in the store command for E1, but it is better to store directly the function in E1 which is what you do by placing the simple quotes around the function.
simple quotes do a non-eval of the parameter. Had you simply types E1:=A=3.14*R^2 the A=3.14*R^2 would be first evaluated (returning a true/false depending if A is or is not equal to 3.14*R^2 and storing that boolean value in E1.

>Pitty HP choose to use non standard characters for programming.
Actually, they did. := is a store operation (which is a standard in languages like pascal).
the ▶ version of store is/was mostly used in mathematic and algorytmical circles which (rightfully so) put the focus FIRST on the calculation and second on what do to with the calculation. This is why the ▶ syntax is expression sto variable compared with the classical programming variable receive the result of expression.
I guess that |> could also be recognized as a sto to make it easier.
One of the issue is that programming did 'borrow' a number of math symbols to make them say something else (due to the small number of symbols on the keyboard), and that a lot of these symbols are overloaded already.
This makes it very hard for the calculator that has to do both math AND programmation.
For example the use of the {} for list did effectively force HP to find another way to handle program blocks (BEGIN and END in this case).
It makes life hard for all involved...

Cyrille

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
10-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Cyrille,
Excellent points. Merci!
The double quotes I did not invent. This came from the equlib program on the HP org site. Likely originated from a previous calculator version. I used it as a leg up on learning the code.
The := is also used in mathcad (my favorite app) and its collaborative version SMath.

I made the changes and all works substituting ' for " on the equations and := for the arrows.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)