48SX and Solve Equation Library "Invalid Data"
10-13-2015, 02:42 PM
48SX and Solve Equation Library "Invalid Data"
I have had the HP Solve Equation Library in my 48SX for a long time. One day recently when I turned the calculator on, I got the Warning "Invalid Card Data". Is there any way to fix this or determine if the card is bad or the ports? I've tried switching the port it is in, but I get the same message, which seems to point to the card, but why might the card go bad? I've also pulled the batteries out of the calc and let it sit for about a week, but I still get the invalid card warning.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2015, 09:36 PM
RE: 48SX and Solve Equation Library "Invalid Data"
(10-13-2015 02:42 PM)kdbeyer Wrote:  I have had the HP Solve Equation Library in my 48SX for a long time. One day recently when I turned the calculator on, I got the Warning "Invalid Card Data". Is there any way to fix this or determine if the card is bad or the ports? I've tried switching the port it is in, but I get the same message, which seems to point to the card, but why might the card go bad? I've also pulled the batteries out of the calc and let it sit for about a week, but I still get the invalid card warning.

Thanks!

Try carefully cleaning the contacts on the card (carefully slide the shutter down first) and clean with alcohol or contact cleaner. Be sure to not leave residue from the cloth or Q-tip on the contacts. This has worked on a ROM card that had similar problems many years ago.

Did the card/port contacts get wet at any point?

--Bob Prosperi
10-14-2015, 02:27 AM
(10-13-2015 09:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 02:42 PM)kdbeyer Wrote:  I have had the HP Solve Equation Library in my 48SX for a long time. One day recently when I turned the calculator on, I got the Warning "Invalid Card Data". Is there any way to fix this or determine if the card is bad or the ports? I've tried switching the port it is in, but I get the same message, which seems to point to the card, but why might the card go bad? I've also pulled the batteries out of the calc and let it sit for about a week, but I still get the invalid card warning.

Thanks!

Try carefully cleaning the contacts on the card (carefully slide the shutter down first) and clean with alcohol or contact cleaner. Be sure to not leave residue from the cloth or Q-tip on the contacts. This has worked on a ROM card that had similar problems many years ago.

Did the card/port contacts get wet at any point?

OK, tried that, but to no avail. I did try a different card in the 48SX and it read that ok, so the problem must be with the Equation library card. I looked in the manual, but all it says is if the card can't be read, it needs service. Can this card be saved? I use the periodic table function a lot.
10-14-2015, 04:46 AM
Very rarely, the metal shutter protecting the cards may become weak. What ends up happening is that instead of being properly open upon insertion of the card, the metal shutter actually makes contact with the card connector and causing all sorts of possible issues, including invalid card data. As a last resort, try using some tape to tape the shutter in such a way that it is completely open. Then see if you still get invalid card data.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
10-14-2015, 01:20 PM
(10-14-2015 04:46 AM)Han Wrote:  ...try using some tape to tape the shutter in such a way that it is completely open. Then see if you still get invalid card data.

Good suggestion. If the card stays permanently installed in your 48, you could also, CAREFULLY, remove the shutter, as it's only function is to protect the contacts when the card is not installed. I do not believe it provides any grounding, it is just a mechanical cover.

ROMs can indeed fail, but this is very uncommon, so it's likely the cause is something else.

--Bob Prosperi
10-14-2015, 08:01 PM
(10-14-2015 04:46 AM)Han Wrote:  Very rarely, the metal shutter protecting the cards may become weak. What ends up happening is that instead of being properly open upon insertion of the card, the metal shutter actually makes contact with the card connector and causing all sorts of possible issues, including invalid card data. As a last resort, try using some tape to tape the shutter in such a way that it is completely open. Then see if you still get invalid card data.

Ok, tried that and I still get the warning message. What is also weird and may point to the card having "failed" is that this card has been in the same calculator for years. Then one day I turn on the calc and I get the Invalid card data warning. I actually assumed the card had failed, but thought I'd see if there were some way to resolve the issue. I have no idea how or why a ROM card fails, but I may just need to get another one.
10-15-2015, 12:09 AM
(10-14-2015 08:01 PM)kdbeyer Wrote:  
(10-14-2015 04:46 AM)Han Wrote:  Very rarely, the metal shutter protecting the cards may become weak. What ends up happening is that instead of being properly open upon insertion of the card, the metal shutter actually makes contact with the card connector and causing all sorts of possible issues, including invalid card data. As a last resort, try using some tape to tape the shutter in such a way that it is completely open. Then see if you still get invalid card data.

...this card has been in the same calculator for years. Then one day I turn on the calc and I get the Invalid card data warning.

Do you have another 48SX you can try it in? Although another card works OK in your original machine, it does not guarantee the card is bad. Try all combinations.

--Bob Prosperi
10-15-2015, 02:05 AM
(10-15-2015 12:09 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Do you have another 48SX you can try it in? Although another card works OK in your original machine, it does not guarantee the card is bad. Try all combinations.

Yes, I do actually. I have tried the card in both 48SX calculators, and it does not work in either. I also have another equation solve card, and that works in both calculators, so my deduction was a bad card. I'm just perplexed why it would suddenly die.
10-15-2015, 02:29 AM
(10-15-2015 02:05 AM)kdbeyer Wrote:  
(10-15-2015 12:09 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Do you have another 48SX you can try it in? Although another card works OK in your original machine, it does not guarantee the card is bad. Try all combinations.

Yes, I do actually. I have tried the card in both 48SX calculators, and it does not work in either. I also have another equation solve card, and that works in both calculators, so my deduction was a bad card. I'm just perplexed why it would suddenly die.

I don't know how viable this is, but could you disassemble the case of those cards and see if there's finally a dry joint that's turned up? This of course assumes that such a procedure is (1) easy to do, and (2) easy to clip back together. If not, then I'm not sure what else to suggest.

(Post 44)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-16-2015, 01:12 AM
(10-15-2015 02:29 AM)brickviking Wrote:  I don't know how viable this is, but could you disassemble the case of those cards and see if there's finally a dry joint that's turned up? This of course assumes that such a procedure is (1) easy to do, and (2) easy to clip back together. If not, then I'm not sure what else to suggest.

(Post 44)

I actually thought about trying to open the card, but I would have no idea how to get it back together if I could even get it open without breaking something. Since it's not working, I guess it would be no loss to open it, but might be no gain either. I might try it if I get adventurous.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)