Tim, where's the firmware update ?
11-26-2015, 01:11 PM
RE: Tim, where's the firmware update ?
The totally arbitrary ending date I used as deadline in http://www.tricider.com/brainstorming/2eKfifdjarx is reaching soon. What we are gonna do?

Should we all sell our primes, buy TIs and bash HP to finally kill the calculator division or should I add more days to the deadline? (lol)

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2015, 06:48 PM
(11-26-2015 01:11 PM)eried Wrote:  The totally arbitrary ending date I used as deadline in http://www.tricider.com/brainstorming/2eKfifdjarx is reaching soon. What we are gonna do?

Should we all sell our primes, buy TIs and bash HP to finally kill the calculator division or should I add more days to the deadline? (lol)

Dear Erin Ried,

I have also noticed that the "Expiration" time of the tricider.com page is approaching it's "Limit" ... ( with near only two months left by now ).

My suggestion would be to [ Extend ] considerably further its expiration, or at least keep a [ Static ] copy of the Last Actual page at somewere else.

I will start making ( local ) Backup copies ( on my computer ) at Regular intervals, in the undesirable case of inevitable Expiration.

Yours Sincerely,

with my Best Wishes to All,

Prof. Ricardo Duarte
Find all posts by this user
02-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Still no update !?!?, not good....
02-23-2016, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 03:03 AM by d b.)
(02-23-2016 01:54 PM)Digitaldreams Wrote:  Still no update !?!?, not good....

<opinions erased>
02-23-2016, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 07:43 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Which "they" told you the update would be soon? Someone qualified to be speaking for HP? If not, then it it just a "rumor" and should be treated accordingly.

Those who know cannot say. Anyone who does speak, does not really know. That is just how it is. The entire reason for avoiding "future looking" statements it to avoid setting expectations that for some reason or another may not happen.

I can make an announcement here, lose my job, and then you chances of getting an update quicker will be reduced. :-)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-23-2016, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 02:39 AM by d b.)
(02-23-2016 07:07 PM)Archanus Wrote:  [quote='Digitaldreams' pid='51154' dateline='1456235642']
Still no update !?!?, not good....

quote erased

The reason why no one will ever tell us anything about upcoming firmware updates has been mentioned far too many times (even within this single thread). But to mention it yet again, the developers cannot make forward-looking statements (i.e. cannot give out dates of future updates, for example) because it would cost them their jobs. I am not sure how you are interpreting this as an angry statement -- it's a simple fact of being an employee of a large corporation that is more often run by lawyers than engineers.

Also, what good would it do to know the date of a future firmware? I do not understand how knowing the date of an upcoming update makes the calculator work any better.

Quote:PD: And if they release a new firmware, it has only one o two bugs fixed Confused Almost a year, for fixing only one or two bugs? Sad ... If only the Casio FX400 has the Prime's Hardware....... Our HP Prime has a lot of Potential, but it lacks of a lot of features, that the Nspire & Casio have... and I said before all the features that must have...[/b][/color]

I don't think HP has ever released a single update for the HP Prime for which "only a few bugs were fixed" -- let alone just two. Usually when there is a long delay in updates, it's likely due to new features being added that have to go through extensive testing. (This statement is true regarding any sort of update, and is not necessarily targeted at just the HP Prime.) With respect to the HP Prime, if you look back at all the firmware updates, features have been added in most (perhaps all?) of them, and the bug-fixes were always a long list.

Honestly, unless there is a major bug that prevents the normal use of the calculator, I would rather not have to update my firmware every week (just making up a time frame) because the team decides to fix just a bug or two and publish updates quickly. Many people would simply get tired of having to update their firmware so often.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
02-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Bonjour

La mise à jour du micrologiciel de la prime n'est pas non plus une affaire
de secret défense, et nous pouvons prétendre en tant que consomateurs
à avoir quelques précisions.
Notez que je n'incrimine pas ici Tim ou Cyrille, mais plutôt HP.
Et puis la dernière mise à jour date de bientôt un an maintenant, il est
normal que certaines personnes s'impatientent.

Hello

The firmware update of the prime is not a matter
defense secret , and we can claim as Consumer Inquiries
to have some clarification.
Note that I do not criminalize here or Tim Cyril, but HP .
And then the last updated date almost a year now , it is
normal that some people are impatient .

Espérant que la traduction ne trahisse pas ma pensée.
Hoping that the translation does not betray my thought.

Sorry for my english
02-24-2016, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 03:33 AM by d b.)
(02-23-2016 07:34 PM)Han Wrote:  
(02-23-2016 07:07 PM)Archanus Wrote:   first taunting quote erased..

The reason why no one will ever tell us anything about upcoming firmware updates has been mentioned far too many times (even within this single thread). But to mention it yet again, the developers cannot make forward-looking statements (i.e. cannot give out dates of future updates, for example) because it would cost them their jobs. I am not sure how you are interpreting this as an angry statement -- it's a simple fact of being an employee of a large corporation that is more often run by lawyers than engineers.

Also, what good would it do to know the date of a future firmware? I do not understand how knowing the date of an upcoming update makes the calculator work any better.

Quote:PD: And if they release a new firmware, it has only one o two bugs fixed Confused Almost a year, for fixing only one or two bugs? Sad ... If only the Casio FX400 has the Prime's Hardware....... Our HP Prime has a lot of Potential, but it lacks of a lot of features, that the Nspire & Casio have... and I said before all the features that must have...

I don't think HP has ever released a single update for the HP Prime for which "only a few bugs were fixed" -- let alone just two. Usually when there is a long delay in updates, it's likely due to new features being added that have to go through extensive testing. (This statement is true regarding any sort of update, and is not necessarily targeted at just the HP Prime.) With respect to the HP Prime, if you look back at all the firmware updates, features have been added in most (perhaps all?) of them, and the bug-fixes were always a long list.

Honestly, unless there is a major bug that prevents the normal use of the calculator, I would rather not have to update my firmware every week (just making up a time frame) because the team decides to fix just a bug or two and publish updates quickly. Many people would simply get tired of having to update their firmware so often.

second taunting quote, in color and bold print complete with smilie emotocans erased
02-24-2016, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 03:36 AM by d b.)
(02-24-2016 01:22 AM)Archanus Wrote:  quote of second taunting quote, in color and bold print complete with smilie emoticons erased

It appears there was a lot lost in the translation if your reading of what I posted was that I was somehow hurt or offended by prior comments.

04-08-2016, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 01:10 PM by Digitaldreams.)
Almost a year since my first post and no bug fixes, nevermind new features. Forgive me for thinking something is wrong in the HP calculator division for users of their 'flagship' to be left wondering for so long if the function they are struggling with is down to one of the many known unfixed bugs & no fault of their own...

Financial/staff cutbacks ?. Whatever the real reason, it's highly dissapointing & I'm left with a machine I cannot totally trust.

Regards
04-08-2016, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 01:59 PM by Thomas Radtke.)
(04-08-2016 01:08 PM)Digitaldreams Wrote:  [...] I'm left with a machine I cannot totally trust.
What did you expect? The firmware is highly complex, written from scratch as of the 39gII, and sold along with the Prime in a market where such things are less important. Add to that our experiences with HP calculators since the 33S in terms of bugs (many) and their fixes (few).

No, it is neither designed to be 'totally trusted' nor can the buyer expect any other.
04-08-2016, 05:53 PM
If only the 33s and 35s had the same attention from HP as the Prime has. Different markets and priorities, I guess.

Still, despite all bugs and everything, I think the Prime is the best on the market.
04-08-2016, 06:49 PM
(04-08-2016 01:08 PM)Digitaldreams Wrote:  Almost a year since my first post and no bug fixes, nevermind new features. Forgive me for thinking something is wrong in the HP calculator division for users of their 'flagship' to be left wondering for so long if the function they are struggling with is down to one of the many known unfixed bugs & no fault of their own...

Financial/staff cutbacks ?. Whatever the real reason, it's highly dissapointing & I'm left with a machine I cannot totally trust.

Regards

I wouldn't totally trust *any* computing device ever made! Every calculator has limitations and the user must be familiar with them. Limited precision and small calculation errors can make a big difference in the results. One person wrote, "Upgrading software is merely trading bugs you know for ones you don't."
He wasn't far off. Smile

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-08-2016, 07:28 PM
(04-08-2016 05:53 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Still, despite all bugs and everything, I think the Prime is the best on the market.
I think, Prime is the best after HP-50G calculator now, but after HP's cheating with HP-39GII and with other calcs some fans cant't forgive it.
04-09-2016, 04:26 AM
I don't wanna be a little bit anxious, but a comprehensive firmware update is the thing that many of us are expecting from a "long" time ago. Just commented "long" because as Tim says, there's no info about incoming releases of the FW, merely rumours or predictions. Sad

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm.
View PNG/JPG in your Prime
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2016, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016 12:40 PM by leprechaun.)
Just two things that I have in mind.

1) There was an announcement about a new manual made by Klass Kuperus some weeks ago that was legitimated by hp... So being puzzled about the missing release is natural. Plus: a major release for a manual is likely to be combined with the reason for it. Namely a new firmware... So maybe it will be a real big one or there were unplanned issues with the coming update. Or both.

2) Personally I am under the impression that during the last year hp focussed on making money. i.e. all kinds of android, ios and windows clones got a lot more attention and as a result you could imagine that the cumbersome and much more tendious rework of the prime got a lot less attention.
A simple calculation. Mobile sector means potential new buyers while firmware rework means pleased and happy hp customers - who already own a calculator...

I am checking for updates on a regular basis for mounths, too. :-)
04-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Hmmm. Maybe the sudden lack of updates is a sign a new Prime is imminent ?.

And yes to a previous poster, we SHOULD be able to trust the prime, not have a bug list along side our user manuals. I've also had substantial experience of HP scientific equipment over the year's and we could rely upon them & HP's support.

Calculators such as the Prime are used in engineering & scientific establishments, where they need to be relied upon. Come on HP, where are you ?

Regards
04-14-2016, 03:37 PM
My guess would be the delay is due to HP had some restructuring. I hope that they take windows as an example and create an "insider-preview" because I would be glad to help find bugs before they hit schools and educators. It would probably speed up their updates and produce a better end product.

It seems the people in high management are still living in the 90's, that is with updates each year. They need to give their engineer flexibility for continuous integration for the software, hardware, and allow them to interact with the dedicated HP calculator users who love to test an unfinished product and find issues. It is a sense of community that is being stripped away by not including us. Microsoft seemed to understand that, and being an insider for them has made a sort of bond and pride with the Microsoft experience I didn't have before.I talk to friend and family about the great things that "might" come in the future.

This idea of a black box in today's world will only sink HP.

What better way is there to get a "free commercial" than to have HP insiders do it for you. We will likely write blogs, post on facebook, make youtube videos.

-Luis-
04-14-2016, 04:07 PM
(04-14-2016 03:37 PM)luisphysics Wrote:  My guess would be the delay is due to HP had some restructuring. I hope that they take windows as an example and create an "insider-preview" because I would be glad to help find bugs before they hit schools and educators. It would probably speed up their updates and produce a better end product.

It seems the people in high management are still living in the 90's, that is with updates each year. They need to give their engineer flexibility for continuous integration for the software, hardware, and allow them to interact with the dedicated HP calculator users who love to test an unfinished product and find issues. It is a sense of community that is being stripped away by not including us. Microsoft seemed to understand that, and being an insider for them has made a sort of bond and pride with the Microsoft experience I didn't have before.I talk to friend and family about the great things that "might" come in the future.

This idea of a black box in today's world will only sink HP.

What better way is there to get a "free commercial" than to have HP insiders do it for you. We will likely write blogs, post on facebook, make youtube videos.

I think they already have been allowing this. In fact, twice now (to my recollection) Tim has asked for volunteers to be beta testers. I cannot find the thread at the moment, but there were two instances when HP invited people from the community to participate. In the meantime, the developers regularly read the forums and make note of any bugs that get reported here.

04-14-2016, 04:28 PM
(04-14-2016 04:07 PM)Han Wrote:  I think they already have been allowing this. In fact, twice now (to my recollection) Tim has asked for volunteers to be beta testers. I cannot find the thread at the moment, but there were two instances when HP invited people from the community to participate. In the meantime, the developers regularly read the forums and make note of any bugs that get reported here.

This one?
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1051.html

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)