My first HP41!
11-30-2015, 09:20 PM
RE: My first HP41!
(11-30-2015 04:47 PM)TASP Wrote:  Get a PPC ROM too, it will prevent your being shunned by those who have one.

Don't tell us you don't have a CCD ROM. Are you still using the Byte Grabber to write synthetic programs?

SRSLY?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2015, 12:39 AM
I really do have a Zen hardwired in my flagship CX.

Direct key synthetics, woot !!

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
12-01-2015, 08:43 AM
120USD for something that is sold as is, for parts or repair?

And another one rebuilt to be in working order for 150USD???

Come on, these HP-1C series were produced during more than a decade, surely these components were sold by the million!
So, why such a high asking prices?

I know that we need to be patient and wait for a bargain, but how long does it takes to win an auction with more realistic prices, when there will be at least one buyer with heavy pockets wiling to pay these silly rocket high prices?

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-01-2015, 09:21 AM
(12-01-2015 08:43 AM)jebem Wrote:  Come on, these HP-1C series were produced during more than a decade, surely these components were sold by the million!

I know that we need to be patient and wait for a bargain, but how long does it takes to win an auction with more realistic prices, when there will be at least one buyer with heavy pockets wiling to pay these silly rocket high prices?

It has been so at least for the last 15 years.
Long ago I often found Matthias or some japanese collector on my way; luckily now I'm done. :)

I wish you luck.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2015, 10:16 AM
(11-30-2015 11:56 AM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  I can only say you...
"Good Luck!"
(both with wife and with bidding)

Thank you!
And I apologize for hijacking your thread here.
I should open a new thread.

(11-30-2015 03:16 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  My advice is to get a full-nut machine. (...)

We will of course expect to see teardown photos when you get your coconut machine.

Thank you for your good advice.
Also I prefer the full-nut because it is the original "real thing" sporting discrete IC's and very well documented at the hardware level in the service guide available from the MoHPC USB pen.
Basically I will get both in a near future, in a non specific order.

Of course I will have to teardown those machines myself, despite the so many great pictures of its internals available in the Internet.
But I'm afraid the dismantling will be only partial, as HP engineering choices to fix the KB PCA to the front panel do not allow a non-destructive teardown.

(11-30-2015 04:47 PM)TASP Wrote:  And REALLY, just one HP41 isn't really going to do it.

Excellent exposition, Thank you!
My ambition is smaller. Small steps, one at a time. We will see.

(12-01-2015 09:21 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 08:43 AM)jebem Wrote:  Come on, these HP-1C series were produced during more than a decade, surely these components were sold by the million!
It has been so at least for the last 15 years.
Long ago I often found Matthias or some Japanese collector on my way; luckily now I'm done. Smile
I wish you luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience here.
I was looking to sold items in eBay since some time ago and there are a few exceptions to these high prices, but again, the goods are sold as defective and/or the seller will not ship worldwide (this is common for UK sellers that refuses to ship "abroad" even if abroad is European Union).

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-01-2015, 10:32 AM
(11-30-2015 05:19 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  
(11-30-2015 04:47 PM)TASP Wrote:  And REALLY, just one HP41 isn't really going to do it.

You definitely need a CX, of course, but a C model for conversion to CL is pretty much the norm these days.

Also, just one CX won't really do, naturally, you'll keep one stock, but you'll need a second one with 2 Extended Memories built in and if you can find a Zen, put internally too, port 4 upper, and then you have a real nice machine with direct key synthetics.

Since port 4 lower is open, a card reader is a natural acquisition at this point.

And, before I forget, while the machine is opened up, good opportunity to install a magnetic switch and a capacitor for 2 speed operation.

Additionally, you're not really 'worthy' to hang around in the HP41 forum here unless you also have the HPIL module.

And really, don't get a plain one, look for (or make) one with a built in Extended I/O or Development ROM or Plotter ROM. And seriously, one of each, and a regular HPIL too is just what you need.

And then, you can't have an HPIL with out something in your loop, so get the 82162 printer. I realize they are useless these days, but a cassette drive, just for show (it doesn't have to actually work) is necessary. Better get some tapes for it though, it looks silly to not have any tapes. You can afford them with the money saved from buying a non-working cassette drive.

Oh, get a wand too.

And it wouldn't hurt to get a ThinkJet printer and the HPIL 3.5" disc drive too.

If you have a couple CXs, and a C, it would be odd not to have a CV also, so get one of them.

The HP3468 multimeter is a nice piece of eye candy to have around, even if you don't actually need one.

Also, get some extra battery packs and chargers for all that, and some extra HPIL cables too. I realize MoHPC has all the manuals on mass storage, but I've found having the actual hard copy manuals on hand to be very satisfying.

Get a PPC ROM too, it will prevent your being shunned by those who have one.

I need to run an errand now, if I think of some more absolutely must haves, I'll post again.

Yes. The 41 is a slippery slope that I would gladly fall down again. It's imperfections only serve to highlight how nearly flawless it still is.
We are really all crazy Smile in the best meaning of the word of course what a happy crazyness
12-01-2015, 10:57 AM
(12-01-2015 10:16 AM)jebem Wrote:  Thanks for sharing your experience here.
I was looking to sold items in eBay since some time ago and there are a few exceptions to these high prices, but again, the goods are sold as defective and/or the seller will not ship worldwide (this is common for UK sellers that refuses to ship "abroad" even if abroad is European Union).

You have to be patient (very patient). I have recently received a nice HP34C for sixty something euro... the faceplate is a bit scratched and battery is dead, but seems to work properly (still learing all the quirks). I'll put a new post about it whenever I can manage to get sgood pictures (in and out).

I take advantage of working in a "global" company, with offices in US and UK, among other places, so when buying things abroad I ask them to be shipped to some colleague there, and they can bring it with them when visiting the main office in Spain. Even if the seller is shipping here, transport costs can be demential (specially if using ebay global shipping Program). My 34C had free shipping within the continental US, while sending it to Spain was almost as expensive as the item itself.
12-01-2015, 12:22 PM
(11-30-2015 02:48 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(11-30-2015 11:34 AM)jebem Wrote:  No matter what route I take, I must obfuscate my credit card payments so my other half will not find the extra expense - I would say Christmas shopping is a natural obfuscation mechanism, don't you think?

what a common trial managing this kind of interests! Smile

Hi Aurelio, my best wishes for you!
Yes, this is our nature and there is nothing we can do to stop it (I tried several times and failing so far).

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-01-2015, 02:27 PM
(12-01-2015 10:57 AM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  Even if the seller is shipping here, transport costs can be demential (specially if using ebay global shipping Program).

Such eBay global shipping program has expeled me from buying on eBay. A true nonsense.
12-01-2015, 10:07 PM
(12-01-2015 12:22 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(11-30-2015 02:48 PM)aurelio Wrote:  what a common trial managing this kind of interests! Smile

Hi Aurelio, my best wishes for you!
Yes, this is our nature and there is nothing we can do to stop it (I tried several times and failing so far).
Hi jose , how are you? i've been a little bit far from calculators, work, healt, different interests, but you can't stop it.
We need maby to be placed on a uninhabited island, but it will be just for a while Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)