I saw a HP-48SX at flea market and I couldn't resist.
05-22-2014, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 04:38 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
RE: I saw a HP-48SX at flea market and I couldn't resist.
(05-22-2014 01:12 PM)jebem Wrote:  Hi, Gerson,
Thanks for sharing those nice adverts from HP written in the language of Camões, Erico Verissimo, Paulo Coelho and so many others to name here.

Aquele Abraço daqui de Portugal!

Olá, José!

You're most welcome! I imagined you would like them.

Um grande abraço aqui do Brasil também!

(05-22-2014 01:12 PM)jebem Wrote:  P.S. - From the prices hand written in the adverts, I assume it were related to the Cruzado currency, right?

No, in 1992 the Cruzado (actually Cruzado Novo then) had already been replaced with the Cruzeiro (only to be replaced with the Cruzeiro Real the following year and finally with the Real in 1994. Interestingly both the Cruzado and the Real were ancient Portuguese currencies, except that Real is now intended to mean real (as in real money), not royal. (I'd like to believe we don't have a New Real anytime soon, but I'm not so confident about that)

[Image: CRampHP-42S_zps311bb3d7.png]

http://www.gazetadopovo.com.br/vidaecida...il-ao-real (In Portuguese)

Cheers,

Gerson.

Edited to fix a typo (in a Portuguese word, oh well)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2014, 06:44 PM
(05-22-2014 02:00 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 01:04 PM)jebem Wrote:  For instance, a espresso coffee (small cup of strong black coffee that in Lisbon city is known as "bica" and in Porto city as "cimbalino")

Probably from "La Cimbali", an italian espresso machine maker... Wink

Si, Massimo, that's the story they told me there in my first stay as an adult in Porto city.
Because in the beginning they imported those coffee machines directly from Italy to start offering espresso coffee in the restaurants, it was only logical to call it Cimbalino Smile

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-22-2014, 06:59 PM
(05-22-2014 06:44 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 02:00 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Probably from "La Cimbali", an italian espresso machine maker... Wink

Si, Massimo, that's the story they told me there in my first stay as an adult in Porto city.
Because in the beginning they imported those coffee machines directly from Italy to start offering espresso coffee in the restaurants, it was only logical to call it Cimbalino Smile

Oh well, it was just a shot in the dark...
Thank you for confirmation José. Smile

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-22-2014, 07:06 PM
(05-22-2014 02:44 PM)walter b Wrote:  (...) Sometimes I'm guessing a bit, and genders in Portuguese ... Wink And Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese show quite some overlap which is no wonder looking at their histories.

d:-)

True.
Once my wife travelled to Milan and she tried to use English in the shops an restaurants, but as no one seems to acknowledge, she tried Portuguese... and surprise, surprise communication was possible!
I have the same experience when I travel to Spain to run VMware courses there. English is the official language but after a while I switch to "portunhol" (it is a joke we Iberians do by combining the words Português and Espanhol) where I use Portuguese but with Spanish accent and believe it or not, they follow me. Of course they do the same the other way around by speaking "espanholês" Smile

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-22-2014, 08:25 PM
(05-22-2014 07:06 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 02:44 PM)walter b Wrote:  (...) Sometimes I'm guessing a bit, and genders in Portuguese ... Wink And Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese show quite some overlap which is no wonder looking at their histories.

True.
Once my wife travelled to Milan and she tried to use English in the shops an restaurants, but as no one seems to acknowledge, she tried Portuguese... and surprise, surprise communication was possible!
I have the same experience when I travel to Spain ... I switch to "portunhol" (...) where I use Portuguese but with Spanish accent and believe it or not, they follow me. Of course they do the same the other way around by speaking "espanholês" Smile

Sim. I never believed it as a student* (nor would I ever have admitted it), though a solid base in Latin obviously helps you around southwest Europe. Once found me interpreting between Catalan and Italian on a business trip many years ago.

d:-)

*no, the other kind of Wink
11-30-2015, 06:02 PM
(05-21-2014 09:28 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Those were the days, those were the price tags...

I remember when I got my first computer (Dell Dimension XPS Pro200n) for $4000 USD. So the price tag of $350 for a computer-in-your-hands was relatively cheap!

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
12-01-2015, 02:34 PM
(05-22-2014 07:06 PM)jebem Wrote:  English is the official language but after a while I switch to "portunhol" (it is a joke we Iberians do by combining the words Português and Espanhol) where I use Portuguese but with Spanish accent and believe it or not, they follow me. Of course they do the same the other way around by speaking "espanholês" Smile

I use to speak in "itañol" (or "itagnolo", from italiano-español or italiano-spagnolo) when in Italy.

Unfortunately, spanglish does not work so good.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)