pyILPER: a pure Python software to emulate virtual HP-IL device for the PIL-Box
11-16-2015, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2015 07:23 PM by jsi.)
pyILPER: a pure Python software to emulate virtual HP-IL device for the PIL-Box
Hi All,

I'd like to point to pyILPER, a pure Python version of the ILPer software contributed by Christoph Gießelink. pyILPER aims predominantly to LINUX and Mac OS/X users but comes with some interesting features as well:
  • Up to 5 virtual mass storage drives with integrated directory list
  • Up to 3 virtual printers emulating the HP-71B and HP-41C character set
  • Terminal emulator with experimental keyboard support (HP-71B only)
  • HP-IL scope
  • Number of virtual devices is configurable
  • Log of scope or virtual printer output to file(s)
  • HP-IL device status display
  • Support for the PIL-Box via serial-over-usb interface
  • Experimental support for virtual HP-IL over TCP/IP (dual TCP/IP V4/V6 stack)

The main drawback is that you have to install a Python/Qt runtime. To avoid hassles I recommend the ANACONDA distribution which provides very easy installation and maintenance of
pyILPER and the Python/Qt runtime. It can be installed without any admin privileges as a local user. See the installation instructions for details. pyILPER was tested successfully on LINUX and Windows and should also do its job on Mac OS/X.

Regards Joachim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2015, 05:31 PM
RE: pyILPER: a pure Python software to emulate virtual HP-IL device for the PIL-Box
(11-16-2015 07:09 AM)jsi Wrote:  ... and should also do its job on Mac OS/X.

Mac (OS/X 10.11, Xcode 7.x, MacPorts 2.3.4) installation notes:

1. Install MacPorts (macports.org), Brew may also be an option, but I've only tested MacPorts. MacPorts (and probably Brew) will require Xcode to be installed as well as the Xcode CLI tools. Follow the MacPorts (or Brew) instructions.

2. Install prereqs (macports):
Code:

sudo port install py34-pyqt4 py34-serial
     sudo port select --set python3 python34

3. Install pyilper:
Code:

git clone https://github.com/bug400/pyilper
     cd pyilper
     python3 setup.py install --user
     export PATH=$PATH:~/Library/Python/3.4/bin

4. Run:
Code:

pyilper

I have only tested that it builds and runs, I have not tested functionality.
11-27-2015, 05:50 PM
RE: pyILPER: a pure Python software to emulate virtual HP-IL device for the PIL-Box
I have installed it on a MacBookPro running OSX 10.11 64 bits using miniconda as instructed.

I am currently testing another HP-IL project and I have included this software in the test suite.

There seems to be an issue with the HP-75.
I am able to initialize a LIF volume and able to write-to/read-from it, but I am unable to mount the volume again after an dismount.
The software says that it does not recognize the volume format.
I have seen it this morning before leaving for work, I will redo the test with the tracing active and will post the trace log here when it's done.

Sylvain
11-29-2015, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 01:31 AM by Egan Ford.)
I get the following error with a known working LIF image:

File does not contain a LIF type 1 medium.

Terminal appears to work. I have not tested the keyboard.lex emulation. IIRC, my PilBOX firmware is 1.5.

Getting this from time to time: 2015-11-28 18:15:08.352 Python[51952:22999505] modalSession has been exited prematurely - check for a reentrant call to endModalSession:

What's the point of the 'working dir' if I have to navigate to it each time when opening LIF files.

Thanks.
11-29-2015, 02:01 AM
(11-27-2015 05:50 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I am currently testing another HP-IL project and I have included this software in the test suite.

Testing ilper-linux-1.35.2.tgz by any chance? It works great with OS/X. I can send you a 115.2K patch if you need it.
12-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi all,
I released the new version 1.3.1 which introduces the following user visible improvements:
  • The virtual keyboard now uses IDY frame service request processing for a more reliable operation. This
    requires the firmware version 1.6 of the PIL-Box. See the PIL-Box project page for details.
    The keyboard does not work at all with earlier versions of the firmware any more.
    The other functions of PyILPER do not need the firmware update.
    Note: passing IDY frames to pyILPER will increase the traffic on the serial interface.
    There is a new option in the pyILPER configuration to control this feature. Thus enable it only if you use the virtual keyboard.
  • Checking the header of a LIF image file is less strict now. PyILPER issues a warning and
    mounts the file with the default medium size of the selected drive type. Please take notice of
    the online documentation of the virtual disk drive to avoid data corruption.
  • The pyILPER distribution now provides pre formatted images for various LIF image media
    (HP82161A cassette, HP9114 floppy disk, HDRIVE1 images with 650KB, 2MB, 4MB, 8MB and 16MB images).
    You can change the directory size of the sample images with the HP-71B.
    Mount a sample image file with the HDRIVE1 drive type selected and reinitialize it with the
    desired directory size and label.
  • The file open dialog to mount lif images now defaults to the working directory.
  • Much polishing and bug fixes.

With kind regards,
Joachim
12-05-2015, 12:51 PM
On OSX 10.11.1 I'm getting:

$python3 setup.py install --user
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 1, in <module>
from setuptools import setup, find_packages # Always prefer setuptools over distutils
ImportError: No module named 'setuptools'
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Th setuptools package seems to be missing. Try the recommendations found here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14426...setuptools
Regards
Joachim

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)