hp memory project, anyone?
11-29-2015, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 10:29 AM by jebem.)
hp memory project, anyone?
I could not find references here before, so here it goes. I apologize if this has been discussed here before.

I was looking for early 7-segment LED displays specifications made by Bowmar Optostic and just found out this amazing site on HP memories.

The article I was reading on optics development is worth reading if you enjoy a good story told by the people who actually worked on the project.
How LEDs Evolved from Geek Playthings to the Global Lighting Solution in Six Decades by Bob Steward

And then I could not miss this story. Amazing stuff.
INSIDE HP: A NARRATIVE HISTORY OF HEWLETT-PACKARD FROM 1939–1990, by John Minck

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2015, 01:11 PM
RE: hp memory project, anyone?
(11-29-2015 09:24 AM)jebem Wrote:  I could not find references here before, so here it goes. I apologize if this has been discussed here before.

I was looking for early 7-segment LED displays specifications made by Bowmar Optostic and just found out this amazing site on HP memories.

The article I was reading on optics development is worth reading if you enjoy a good story told by the people who actually worked on the project.
How LEDs Evolved from Geek Playthings to the Global Lighting Solution in Six Decades by Bob Steward

And then I could not miss this story. Amazing stuff.
INSIDE HP: A NARRATIVE HISTORY OF HEWLETT-PACKARD FROM 1939–1990, by John Minck

Thanks for the links.

Very interesting readings. What amazing company HP is.

Cheers
11-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Alas it was.

d:-/
11-29-2015, 05:43 PM
I haven't spent much time on there, but they used (with permission) several images from my website, including the photo of the 5082-7000 display on the page you linked.
11-30-2015, 06:38 AM
I need to spend more time in the LEDs article, but with a quick scan, I see a couple of pieces of equipment I used years ago. It does say about the Thinkjet however, "The HP 2225 "ThinkJet" Printer, only one font, no graphics," which I need to mention a correction for. I used it in raster dot graphics with my HP-71, also with compressed text, double-wide, bold, italics, underline, different line spacings, etc..

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2015, 07:52 AM
(11-30-2015 06:38 AM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  I need to spend more time in the LEDs article, but with a quick scan, I see a couple of pieces of equipment I used years ago. It does say about the Thinkjet however, "The HP 2225 "ThinkJet" Printer, only one font, no graphics," which I need to mention a correction for. I used it in raster dot graphics with my HP-71, also with compressed text, double-wide, bold, italics, underline, different line spacings, etc..

True Garth. It was a great advancement in printers and reliable as a brick.
Did you ever use the small Kodak Diconix? IIRC it was a clone of the Thinkjet but everything was crammed into a case about 40% the size of the Thinkjet so it was even more portable. They mounted the 5 C cells in the roller to save that space too. Unfortunately, they didn't make an I.L. model for our beloved 41s.
12-03-2015, 02:13 AM
This wonderful site was created by my friend Marc Mislanghe in France. He worked with and on HP equipment for many years and wanted to give back to the community. Unfortunately, he passed away unexpectedly a couple of years ago. He was looking for a permanent home for his amazing history site. HP didn't bite. I don't think Agilent did either.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)