Help me choose next calculator
02-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Help me choose next calculator
My beloved HP 48GX died. I'm thinking of either an e-bay direct replacement of my 48GX, a new 50G or a new Prime. Please help me decide. Here is what is and is not important to me:

Features I want, in order of importance:
*RPN is a must
*Easy unit conversion, which is available on my 48GX, is very important to me.
*It would be nice to have something that handles fractions such as a construction calculator would. My 48GX does not do this but it would sure be nice to have. Maybe the prime will have an app avilable for that.
*Time Value of Money calculations

Features that I don't care about
*symbolic input or solving symbolically
*Graphing
*That it's allowed for testing

I am an engineer, not a student. I am not likely to ever be a power programmer of the new calculator, just simple function definition is probably all I'll ever do.

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2016, 02:35 PM
RE: Help me choose next calculator
IIRC, the 48 does do fractions very nicely. 50G is a 48 plus CAS, so would be virtually no learning curve and a nice upgrade. Prime is a different animal and not really RPN centric, though it is RPN capable. You should try a Prime app or emulator and decide for yourself.

Here's how to work with fractions on the 50G. Should apply to the 48 as well:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publi...-c01943918
02-02-2016, 02:52 PM
What are the symptoms of your broken HP-48GX?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Quote:Posted by Steve Simpkin - Today 09:52 AM

Will not power on even with new batteries. I've had this calculator for about 15-years so I can't complain about it's reliability.

Quote:Posted by Dave - Today 09:35 AM
Here's how to work with fractions on the 50G.
By 'handle fractions like a construction calculator' i mean easily enter feet, inches, and fractions of an inch and return similar answers to the nearest 16". I'm sure none of them have this feature natively but I could probably find a program or 'app' to do so; at least on the Prime.
02-02-2016, 04:12 PM
(02-02-2016 02:35 PM)Dave Wrote:  IIRC, the 48 does do fractions very nicely. 50G is a 48 plus CAS, so would be virtually no learning curve and a nice upgrade. Prime is a different animal and not really RPN centric, though it is RPN capable. You should try a Prime app or emulator and decide for yourself.

Here's how to work with fractions on the 50G. Should apply to the 48 as well:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publi...-c01943918
+1

I think you'll like the 50g for this very reason quoted above. Yours needs, however, call for a 35s, if you like the scientific type too.

Also, browse the forums for WP-34s. You'll love it if you are RPN addicted. The keyboard on the 35s is one of the best though.
02-02-2016, 04:18 PM
(02-02-2016 02:13 PM)dockthedog Wrote:  My beloved HP 48GX died. I'm thinking of either an e-bay direct replacement of my 48GX, a new 50G or a new Prime. Please help me decide. ...

Your comments say RPN is a must, but 48 & 50 are RPL. If you program, there is a huge difference between them. If not, you should consider the WP-34S as well.

But assuming staying with RPL, based on your criteria, I suggest the 50g. Here's why:

The Prime has only fundamental RPN capabilities, and while an amazingly powerful machine, its advantages do not align with your needs.

A 48GX, in good condition, costs between $200-300, assuming you would get one with Black LCD (needed for aging eyes). And all of these are 30 years old, even if slightly used.

You can get a NEW 50g for $50, it's MUCH faster than a 48, has more memory, uses cheap SD cards for expansion, works with the same ConKit (but works with native USB - better for modern PCs), is essentially fully compatible with the 48G, yet adds many more built-in functions.

After 15 years of using a 48, the 50g will initially feel odd, with different keyboard layout, small [Enter] key on bottom-right (vs. double wide button in the 'right' place), and a slightly less satisfying key-press feel, but most people quickly become used to these changes and the advantages quickly outweigh the disadvantages.

All that said, IMHO the 48G still is one of the best 'feeling' calculators ever made, and you may want to stay with the same model if familiarity is very important.

Let us know which way you go, have fun choosing.

--Bob Prosperi
02-02-2016, 04:29 PM
(02-02-2016 02:13 PM)dockthedog Wrote:  My beloved HP 48GX died. I'm thinking of either an e-bay direct replacement of my 48GX, a new 50G or a new Prime. Please help me decide. Here is what is and is not important to me:

Features I want, in order of importance:
*RPN is a must
*Easy unit conversion, which is available on my 48GX, is very important to me.
*It would be nice to have something that handles fractions such as a construction calculator would. My 48GX does not do this but it would sure be nice to have. Maybe the prime will have an app avilable for that.
*Time Value of Money calculations

Features that I don't care about
*symbolic input or solving symbolically
*Graphing
*That it's allowed for testing

I am an engineer, not a student. I am not likely to ever be a power programmer of the new calculator, just simple function definition is probably all I'll ever do.

Thank you!

The HP-Prime is very painful to use with units. The 50G will be as good as the 48GX on that subject.

My 48G+ won't turn on either when I press the ON key. But it always power on when I press both ON and 'A' at the same time. Try it, who knows.

François
02-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Marcio: I actually bought a HP35 some years ago to replace my original HP48 (I've had two) and would have kept it if it had better capability handling units. The 48GX has many, many, units pre-programmed and converting between them is very easy. I'm a mechanical engineer and I have to convert units a lot!

rprosperi: I don't know the difference between RPN or RPL. In any event I'm familiar with what the HP48GX uses. I'm intreagued by the WP34S. Any idea on it ability to handle units?
02-02-2016, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 05:16 PM by Marcio.)
(02-02-2016 04:38 PM)dockthedog Wrote:  Marcio: I actually bought a HP35 some years ago to replace my original HP48 (I've had two) and would have kept it if it had better capability handling units. The 48GX has many, many, units pre-programmed and converting between them is very easy. I'm a mechanical engineer and I have to convert units a lot!

rprosperi: I don't know the difference between RPN or RPL. In any event I'm familiar with what the HP48GX uses. I'm intreagued by the WP34S. Any idea on it ability to handle units?

While Mr Prosperi drinks his coffee, I will try to get this one.
Well, in short, RPN machines use a 4-level stack which works with 4 registers: x, y, z and t. Both the 35s and 34s are RPN. RPL machines use an infinite stack and offer a lot more options + a large screen for graphing, such as the 48 and the 50.

Ps. The 34s has a quite large unit conversion set though not as large as the one on the 50g, which, in my opinion, is the machine you should get. It will probably outlive you. Can't go wrong with it.

Marcio
02-02-2016, 05:10 PM
I can't help but think the opening post is a toe in the door to a soon to be raging case of calculator acquisition syndrome.

Wink

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
02-02-2016, 05:11 PM
(02-02-2016 05:10 PM)TASP Wrote:  I can't help but think the opening post is a toe in the door to a soon to be raging case of calculator acquisition syndrome.

Wink

Just wait until he gets hooked on RPN. Smile
02-02-2016, 05:46 PM
[quote='dockthedog' pid='50197' dateline='1454427452']
Quote:Posted by Steve Simpkin - Today 09:52 AM

Will not power on even with new batteries. I've had this calculator for about 15-years so I can't complain about it's reliability.
[quote]

Try pressing firmly on the area between the bottom of the display and the top row of keys and then press the ON button.

If that does not help, also try the reset procedures listed by HP support.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpia5166
02-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Get a HP 50g. It is currently selling for less than the 35s, and has all the features of the 48gx plus a lot more. I just bought my third one for only $47.99.
02-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Well, based on your suggestions I fished my 48 out of the trash, reinserted the batteries, and.... 'beep' - "try to recover memory?" She works fine now. Mind you, I didn't get to any suggestions to fix her, just put the batteries in again.

Thanks for all your help. Even with the 48 working again I'm thinking about a 50 before they get expensive too.
02-02-2016, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 06:29 PM by Steve Simpkin.)
(02-02-2016 06:11 PM)dockthedog Wrote:  Well, based on your suggestions I fished my 48 out of the trash, reinserted the batteries, and.... 'beep' - "try to recover memory?" She works fine now. Mind you, I didn't get to any suggestions to fix her, just put the batteries in again.

Thanks for all your help. Even with the 48 working again I'm thinking about a 50 before they get expensive too.

Excellent. If it stops working again, try the suggestions above.
There is a foam piece under the front cover of the case (between the bottom of the display and the top row of keys) that keeps the keyboard circuitry connected to the main board. As this foam ages and shrinks, it can cause some keys (particularly the ON key) to not respond. If this occurs, pressing on the area often makes the keys work.
02-04-2016, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 12:36 AM by Voldemar.)
(02-02-2016 05:11 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Just wait until he gets hooked on RPN. Smile
Big Grin
I have HP 50g and HP 35s. Good.
02-04-2016, 06:12 AM
(02-02-2016 04:38 PM)dockthedog Wrote:  I don't know the difference between RPN or RPL.
RPL is more or less the operating system you've enjoyed with your 48. It uses mostly RPN, among other entry systems (but depends on the calculator model-the 18C is w/o RPN!).

RPN has never been standardized before RPL, where it is much easier to use with less pitfalls.
02-04-2016, 12:13 PM
1.) A new HP48GX
2.) If you have only few equations: HP32SII
3.) If you have lots of equations: HP35S
4.) If you have equations without trigs: HP17BII

BTW: the best solution is a 48GX in 32SII case - HP, please: DO IT for us!
I wanna back that era when engineers designed the calculators for engineers.

Csaba
02-04-2016, 02:33 PM
(02-04-2016 12:13 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  I wanna back that era when engineers designed the calculators for engineers.

Csaba

Don't hold your breath!
02-04-2016, 03:07 PM
(02-04-2016 12:13 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  I wanna back that era when engineers designed the calculators for engineers.
Blessed are those engineers getting paid for single calculations instead of using tools doing many magnitudes more of them ;-).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)