Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers
02-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers
Hi everyone! On the image, it seems that the first equation is solved incorrectly. The second one has a correct answer, though it is identical except I moved a term to the left side... And more interesting, if I change one coefficient, an equation is solved correctly in both cases (third and fourth equations). Is it a bug, or am I missing something?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2016, 10:11 PM
RE: Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers
(02-15-2016 08:48 PM)Oleksandr Wrote:  Hi everyone! On the image, it seems that the first equation is solved incorrectly. The second one has a correct answer, though it is identical except I moved a term to the left side... And more interesting, if I change one coefficient, an equation is solved correctly in both cases (third and fourth equations). Is it a bug, or am I missing something?

It looks to me as though all 4 solutions are correct. The first two look different but if you multiply top and bottom of the first answer by 1+2i it becomes the second answer.

Nigel (UK)
02-16-2016, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 06:29 AM by Oleksandr.)
RE: Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers
You are absolutely right, I did not notice that in the first answer i is in the denominator. I should never do any math after full workday in the evening. Thank you Nigel Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)