Swiss Micros announces DM42L
02-19-2016, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 10:56 PM by Namir.)
Swiss Micros announces DM42L
I got an email from Swiss Micros' Michael Steinmann today showing the prototype for the HP-42S clone, the DM42L. The calculator is based on Tom Okken's Free42 emulator and should be available in the summer of 2016. The email has a YouTube video link showing a demo with the DM42L.

The YouTube link mentions the following information, and I quote:

Quote:It uses the Intel® Decimal Floating-Point Math Library and uses IEEE 754-2008 quadruple precision decimal floating-point, which consumes 16 bytes per number, and gives 34 decimal digits of precision, with exponents ranging from -6143 to +6144

This is the most precise standalone hand-held calculator on earth, second to none! And it uses the powerful and proven RPN logic.

It runs on a single CR2032 battery. The total current consumption of the ARM Cortex-M4 CPU running at 26MHz and its LCD is less than 3mA, but most of the time it's idle consuming only about 130uA.

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2016, 11:26 PM
RE: Swiss Micros announces DM42L
See also thread 1 and thread 2

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-20-2016, 05:12 AM
This is a game changer. I've been fence sitting regarding the SM units since I never really cared for the Voyager series, but a 42L is a different kettle of fish altogether. I've been wanting a 42S because it's so pleasant to use for complex numbers, but I've been put off by the high prices on TAS. This may well become their best seller.

David Brunell
Houston, Texas
02-20-2016, 02:21 PM
I do agree there. With the WP-34S and now the 42L, the days of high prices on the 42S sure seem numbered to me.
02-20-2016, 03:55 PM
If they only clone HP28s! I am missing its 4line display and unlimited stack, to mention just a few. Still no info about 28L?
02-20-2016, 06:52 PM
This is one I may, nah, definitely will add to my collection. Provided it meets one hurdle, I most definitely would buy one.

Here's the crucial question: Is it in a Voyager form factor or is it a miniature, requiring a Palm Pilot stylus?

Thanks
02-20-2016, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 07:28 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(02-20-2016 06:52 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  This is one I may, nah, definitely will add to my collection. Provided it meets one hurdle, I most definitely would buy one.

Here's the crucial question: Is it in a Voyager form factor or is it a miniature, requiring a Palm Pilot stylus?

Thanks

"DMxxL" series is in large (Voyager) size.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
02-20-2016, 08:22 PM
(02-20-2016 07:28 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(02-20-2016 06:52 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  This is one I may, nah, definitely will add to my collection. Provided it meets one hurdle, I most definitely would buy one.

Thanks

"DMxxL" series is in large (Voyager) size.

Well, I guess my next step is placing a pre-sales order for one!

Thanks!
02-21-2016, 06:34 PM
WOW !!!!!
02-22-2016, 03:29 AM
(02-20-2016 02:21 PM)Gene Wrote:  I do agree there. With the WP-34S and now the 42L, the days of high prices on the 42S sure seem numbered to me.

This is good news indeed, but I think the 42s market will remain steady for two reasons:
1) No other clone has been able to replicate the magnificent tactile feel of the original Pioneer series.

2) I have seen an overwhelming desire for engineers of any age to re-purchase whatever calculator model they had circa age 20. I believe this is tied to neuroplasticity and lack of desire to learn a new keyboard lay out as one gets older. (This is why my grandparents could never learn their VCR remote, and why I still prefer my 48g when my 50g is superior in almost every way.)

For the same reason, I propose it would not be profitable to produce a HP-28 clone. It was only in production a short time compared to the HP41 before it and the HP 48 series after it, so your target market would essentially be a small 2-4 year span of engineers.

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

02-22-2016, 06:38 PM
(02-22-2016 03:29 AM)Allen Wrote:  For the same reason, I propose it would not be profitable to produce a HP-28 clone. It was only in production a short time compared to the HP41 before it and the HP 48 series after it, so your target market would essentially be a small 2-4 year span of engineers.

Yeah, the 28 is more of a collector's novelty at this point. The 48 surpasses it in pretty much every way. The 19Bii might still hold slightly more relevance, but really, the 95LX is more capable and cheaper anyway. (Though I do keep a 19Bii on my desk at home; goodness knows that form factor isn't good for much else besides desktop use, so I may as well let it shine where it can.)
02-22-2016, 08:15 PM
HP-28s surpasses the next generations for one reason, at least:

Dedicated alpha keyboard.

It's a really pleasure to use them
02-22-2016, 09:35 PM
(02-22-2016 08:15 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  HP-28s surpasses the next generations for one reason, at least:

Dedicated alpha keyboard.

It's a really pleasure to use them

That one might be debatable. You still have to toggle in and out of cursor movement vs. soft menus, and having the alpha keyboard on the left isn't the best setup for righties. It could have been the killer feature, but in its current state, it's only a minor convenience at best. And the 48 has the distinct advantage of an alpha keyboard that's easily usable while actually holding the calculator. Smile
02-22-2016, 10:02 PM
I agree the 28 was a pleasure to use. But using one the size of a DM42L would most unpleasant.
02-23-2016, 12:25 AM
Take a small piano hinge and attach a DM12L and a DM41L and voila a clamshell all RPN. Best of the financial and scientific RPNs!

:-)
02-23-2016, 12:30 AM
(02-20-2016 02:21 PM)Gene Wrote:  I do agree there. With the WP-34S and now the 42L, the days of high prices on the 42S sure seem numbered to me.
So I should be sorry for recently acquiring this pristine, in perfect working order thing:
[Image: HP_42_S.jpg]
I don't think so...
Smile
02-23-2016, 12:38 AM
Here's a potential layout I tossed together in like 15 minutes with Visio showing how it would be very possible to keep the original 6 top keys of the 42S aligned properly under the LCD. There's plenty of room for refinement here, but this would be pretty serviceable as-is. I threw Alpha and TOP.FCN on there as primary keys, since the Voyager layout has two more keys than the Pioneer, and I also didn't bother putting the shifted labels on the keys. Assume the shifted assignments would be something very similar or identical to how they're matched up on the 42S.

02-23-2016, 01:34 AM
(02-23-2016 12:38 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Here's a potential layout I tossed together...

Nice. I think the up/down arrow keys must be along the left perimeter, shifting the rest of those 3 rows in, as frequently-used keys like this are more comfortable and easier for your fingers to find, but otherwise a nice start on a different approach than those seen so far.

--Bob Prosperi
02-23-2016, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 02:03 AM by rpn fan.)
If the availability of the WP were not restricted, yes. Buying an vintage product is certainly part of the lure for me.

(02-23-2016 12:30 AM)RMollov Wrote:  
So I should be sorry for recently acquiring this pristine, in perfect working order thing:
[Image: HP_42_S.jpg]
I don't think so...
Smile
02-23-2016, 02:06 AM
(02-23-2016 01:34 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-23-2016 12:38 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Here's a potential layout I tossed together...

Nice. I think the up/down arrow keys must be along the left perimeter, shifting the rest of those 3 rows in, as frequently-used keys like this are more comfortable and easier for your fingers to find, but otherwise a nice start on a different approach than those seen so far.

Yeah, I'm not 100% pleased with where the arrows are, but for me personally, I use them a lot while programming/debugging or scrolling through menus, so having them near the center is advantageous. Placing them side-by-side wouldn't be such a bad idea, either, maybe working backspace in around them a bit more elegantly in the process. Having them stacked in the upper-left corner wouldn't be the end of the world, of course.

I think keeping R/S near the digits is pretty important, as it's often used as an argument separator for programs where you supply multiple inputs in sequence.

XEQ is typically used in tandem with the menu keys, so keeping it in that "top row" of menu keys and also near the digits would be a good idea.

In any case, having the operator keys to the left of the digits should appeal to the 41 fans!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)