2 questions about RPN mode
02-25-2016, 01:33 PM
2 questions about RPN mode
1. Is there a way to check in a program if the calculator is set to RPN, (a system variable, a flag, ...)?

2. Are there some commands like "last stack" or "last x"?

I did not find similar questions in the form, but it can depend on the query, so sorry if they were already answered...

Thank you very much

Reto
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2016, 02:22 PM
RE: 2 questions about RPN mode
(02-25-2016 01:33 PM)retoa Wrote:  1. Is there a way to check in a program if the calculator is set to RPN, (a system variable, a flag, ...)?

Reto

Check out help topic : Variables | Home Variables | Home Settings Variables | Entry

Entry:= 2 for RPN

-Dale-
02-25-2016, 02:27 PM
(02-25-2016 01:33 PM)retoa Wrote:  2. Are there some commands like "last stack" or "last x"?

I did not find similar questions in the form, but it can depend on the query, so sorry if they were already answered...

Thank you very much

Reto

page 623 (User Guide):

Ans
Contains the last result calculated in the Home or CAS views. Ans(n) returns the nth result in the history of Home view. In CAS view, if Ans is a matrix, Ans(m,n) returns the element in row m and column n.

-Dale-
02-26-2016, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2016 07:42 AM by retoa.)
Thank you very much for both your answers Dale !!!
That's exactly what I was looking for.

Actually in RPN mode Ans does not return the last calculated result, but the arguments used for the last calculation. It is similar to "last stack", better because it does not erase the last result. The explanation in User Guide is not very useful, if you read it you would expect that in RPN mode Ans would return the last result calculated, which would be useless as in RPN the last calculated result is already on top (bottom) of stack.

Have a nice day !

Reto
02-26-2016, 11:47 AM
The Ans description in the User Guide doesn't specifically address RPN mode. I think I have read somewhere in the forums that the User Guide is pretty much a work in progress. With the Prime, I don't use RPN mode. Although I have used RPN, since the HP-25, and several other HP calcs along the life's way, I feel the Prime supports RPN mainly for other, secondary, marketing purposes.

It wouldn't be surprising if you encounter other Prime RPN incidental incompatibilities. Some may have workarounds, and others not so much. The reference to Ans mentioned, was the best match to question #2, that I could suggest.

There are so many commands and functions present in the Prime, that it can be a bit daunting to find just the right one, in a moment of need. It would be cool if there was a "suggested tool" key that quickly scans the [Toolbox] catalog and attempts to guide users, as they go about processing on the Prime!

-Dale-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)