How do I get my HP50g to print graphics on my HP82240B printer.
04-05-2016, 11:43 AM
How do I get my HP50g to print graphics on my HP82240B printer.
I have tried everything to get this to work, but to no avail. I found one item suggesting a program with ,(Menu command 107), all the print commands. When doing text no problem, graphics not on.
The You tube video succeeded in doing just this.
I have a similar problem with the Kermit program that came with the calculator, this does not work at all
Please help me, I have already pulled all my hair out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2016, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 01:26 PM by buffalo.)
RE: How do I get my HP50g to print graphics on my HP82240B printer.
[Sunshineray said]
I have tried everything to get this to work, but to no avail. I found one item suggesting a program with ,(Menu command 107), all the print commands. When doing text no problem, graphics not on.
I have a similar problem with the Kermit program that came with the calculator, this does not work at all

[my reply]
i'm not sure what you have tried so far. i don't have my printer with me so i can't test anything i recommend
(so we will have to "wing it")
i'm assuming the APPS I/O Function [Print display] hasn't worked, so moving forward
the menu 107 is leftover from the HP48.

to recall it to the top row of keys (A-F) do this

[stack display]
4:
3:
2:
1: 107
MENU <---(press ALPHA then type MENU then press ENTER)
stack mem brch test type list <---(the menu above the A-F keys mine has PRG menu displayed)

[stack display -after pressing ENTER]
4:
3:
2:
1:
PRVAR PRST PRSTC PRLCD CR PRTPA <---(these are the printing commands)

[from the video i learnt]
if you have your graphic on the calculator display & then
press & hold the [ON] key then press the [^] key (below the E key)
this is a shortcut & should print whatever is on the display (in your case a graphic)

is this the video you were refering

as regards transferring files To & From the calculator (the kermit reference) i & i think some others
use a SD card(not SDHC) ,SD card reader (it has a USB on 1 end)
you might want to do a separate post on this as it sounds like the graphics printing is your priority
with this post.
hope this explanation is not too rambelling

regards Paul
04-05-2016, 04:23 PM
(04-05-2016 11:43 AM)Sunshineray Wrote:  I have tried everything to get this to work, but to no avail. I found one item suggesting a program with ,(Menu command 107), all the print commands. When doing text no problem, graphics not on.

It would be nice to have a bit more description of what you're doing (and what's happening as a result) to assist with troubleshooting. What are the actual steps you are performing, and what happens when you attempt them?

In the meantime, check the "Delay" setting (select PRTPAR from that same menu you've mentioned above, and see what's listed). If by any chance you have a non-zero Delay value setup in your print parameters, graphics printing will slow down to the point of making the system seem unresponsive. I have found that graphics printing only works reliably when setting that value to 0. You still need to change it back, though, if initiating a series of text prints that might overfill the printer's buffer. For printing text, I use a Delay value of 1.05.

- David
04-05-2016, 04:54 PM
(04-05-2016 01:23 PM)buffalo Wrote:  [Sunshineray said]

[my reply]
i'm not sure what you have tried so far. i don't have my printer with me so i can't test anything i recommend
(so we will have to "wing it")
i'm assuming the APPS I/O Function [Print display] hasn't worked, so moving forward
the menu 107 is leftover from the HP48.

to recall it to the top row of keys (A-F) do this

[stack display]
4:
3:
2:
1: 107
MENU <---(press ALPHA then type MENU then press ENTER)
stack mem brch test type list <---(the menu above the A-F keys mine has PRG menu displayed)

[stack display -after pressing ENTER]
4:
3:
2:
1:
PRVAR PRST PRSTC PRLCD CR PRTPA <---(these are the printing commands)

[from the video i learnt]
if you have your graphic on the calculator display & then
press & hold the [ON] key then press the [^] key (below the E key)
this is a shortcut & should print whatever is on the display (in your case a graphic)

is this the video you were refering

as regards transferring files To & From the calculator (the kermit reference) i & i think some others
use a SD card(not SDHC) ,SD card reader (it has a USB on 1 end)
you might want to do a separate post on this as it sounds like the graphics printing is your priority
with this post.
hope this explanation is not too rambelling

regards Paul

I don't know if the OP just wants to print the screen but I'd like to be able to print dots on the paper from within a program. Example would be a continuous sine curve with axes (the x-axis would be down the paper, y would be the width of the paper)

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-05-2016, 07:00 PM
(04-05-2016 04:54 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I don't know if the OP just wants to print the screen but I'd like to be able to print dots on the paper from within a program. Example would be a continuous sine curve with axes (the x-axis would be down the paper, y would be the width of the paper)

Tom L

There's probably lots of ways to approach this, but the first that comes to mind is to do the following (in general terms):

- Reset your plotting environment
- Set your equation and plot it. Zoom as appropriate to optimize the data presented, keeping in mind that the plotted data will be stretched horizontally in the next couple of steps.
- Use PDIM to set the PICT dimensions to Width = (any value from 131 to 2048 [inclusive]), Height = 166 (the max that the printer can produce). Note: use binary integers here.
- Re-enter the graphing environment (to force an update). Be patient if you chose a large width, it may take a while to update.
- RCL the PICT to the stack
- Perform a VFLIP (vertical flip) and DFLIP (diagonal flip) using the utilities provided here
- Print the resulting GROB

Being a glutton for punishment, I just tried this with y=sin(x) using a width of 2048. It worked as expected. Note that when printing anything this large on the 82240B, I always expect a few lines to be shifted here and there. This test was consistent with that expectation. Out of 256 printed rows, 10 were shifted to the right by one pixel. The GROB is fine, it's simply the printing process (at least with a 50g) that introduces this kind of error. As long as you can put up with that kind of inconsistency, you should be OK.
04-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Hi Tom,
Found the gremlin, not going to believe it, it turned out to be a key in the print menu called PRTPA. This had a line named remap. Here I found a stream of characters. How that got there I cannot tell. However I hit the reset button and now evrything is working the way it should.
Learning slowly.
Thanks to all that assisted, much appreciated.
Ray
04-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Maybe you've set the "OLDPR" command which activates the remap of some characters to make the calculator able to print correctly with the old 82240A printer?

Strange because I think it should have worked. Haven't tried it in a long time though, as my 82240B is in a box somewhere (I'm using my 82240A for my daily printing, lol)
04-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Hi Lithium,
Come to think of it it may have being when I was trying to solve my problem. I did look up every command associated with printing
Ray

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)