Doubts about the Home View
04-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Doubts about the Home View
Hi,
Sorry for my bad English.
On the home view, when I change between textbook input modes or algebraic to RPN input mode and RPN mode to textbook modes or algebraic, the history of past calculations disappears. For example, if I am in RPN mode and go to the textbook mode or algebraic, what was the history of elapsed calculations disappears and I can not use the data to continue the calculations in textbook modes or algebraic, if I go back again to the RPN what was the history of past calculations will reappear. It is as if there were two views in home mode.
I'm doing something wrong, or is that really how it works?
Best regards.

Software Version: 2015 6 17 (8151)
Hardware Version: C
CAS Version: 1.1.2-11
Operating System: V0.038.532
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2016, 02:24 PM
RE: Doubts about the Home View
There are two separate histories.

I am curious why you'd want to switch back and forth. Is it just to get the 2D display for algebraics on entry? Are you using the shifted parenthesis function to insert ' '? When your cursor is inside it, that becomes an algebraic object with full 2D display/editing capabilities.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Tim, I believe he is referring to RPN mode vs non-RPN mode. In non-RPN mode, the history is the same as the Home view. In RPN mode, the history is actually a completely separate history from the Home view.

Technically, there are three histories: RPN, Home, and CAS. RPN is completely separate from Home and CAS (although I think the OP was referring to changing input modes that force switches between the RPN history and the Home history).

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
04-15-2016, 07:13 PM
Tim and Han, thanks for the reply.
What I tried to explain it was exactly what you wrote Han.
I use the home setting to switch between RPN entry and Textbook/Algebraic entry.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-15-2016, 07:24 PM
So my question here is "why are you switching between the two?" I am trying to understand your work process here so I can perhaps make a suggestion.

If you are purely trying to be able to enter an algebraic in 2D form while in RPN mode, this is currently possible by simply doing SHIFT-PAREN to give the ' ' marks while in RPN mode. With your cursor inside the ' ' it will work in 2D algebraic form. If it is for something else, then please explain further. I ask because you are the first person to ask this specific question (at least that I've ever seen) and express a desire for frequent switching, so I'd like to understand what is driving your desire.

TW

04-15-2016, 07:40 PM
Tim,
Using an algebraic expression in RPN mode is exactly what I want to do.
Thank you for your tip to use ' ' marks.
04-15-2016, 07:59 PM
(04-15-2016 07:40 PM)Ernesto_R Wrote:  Tim,
Using an algebraic expression in RPN mode is exactly what I want to do.
Thank you for your tip to use ' ' marks.

Great!

Note that Prime is a bit more intelligent about being in ALG mode while in RPN. For example, on the 50g if you press '' or _ , it drops into ALG mode and anything you type continues going into the edit line and stops behaving in an RPN manner. For example, if you press + you get a plus instead of immediately attempting to evaluate the +.

On prime, it recognizes if your cursor is inside the ' ' or a unit object _( ) and similar things. If you move your cursor in and out of the algebraic object, you'll see the ALG indicator appear/disappear as you move in and out. Once outside, pressing + would once again immediately evaluate.

TW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)