Database functions on Scientific Calculator
01-11-2024, 05:17 PM
Database functions on Scientific Calculator
I wonder why no one offers a calculator also with some sort of database function. I wonder how slow a program might run, if one was created using LISTS or MATRIX or some method of holding data (like from datasheets), for easy access.

It would (or could be) just text data.

Does anyone know of a program like that? I know you could likely do it on a 71B or 75 but how about HP-41CX? Think that would be easy, or difficult. I've never seen anyone talk about this. In fact, if you search database, nothing comes up on the forum. Seems useful.

And I'm not talking about a full SQL system. Something for storing data, and a way to search for it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2024, 05:48 PM
RE: Database functions on Scientific Calculator
(01-11-2024 05:17 PM)MikeSD Wrote:  a calculator also with some sort of database function.
Does this answer your question : HP-41CX "Extended functions": EMDIR, EMROOM, CRFLD... ?

http://ti58c.phweb.me
http://clones.phweb.me
"No! Do or Do not. There is no try!" [Master Yoda]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2024, 07:07 PM
hpcalc.org shows several for the HP 48/49/50.
01-11-2024, 09:08 PM
I was faced with that problem in the early 90's.

I didn't want to deal with a database using a calculator keyboard so I bought an HP 200LX and never regretted it. It had everything my HP 41 was missing and a lot more.

My much beloved HP 41 got permanently assigned to the workbench as a system controller.

The 200LX stayed with me at all times. Word processor, spreadsheets, data base, calculator with solver, and too many DOS applications to mention, at your fingertips.

Those two devices were indispensible during my entire career. Worth their weight in gold.

Don't ask me I just lurk here.
01-11-2024, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2024 11:19 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Some old organisers such as the Psion Organiser had an "address database", but not SQL AFAIK.

I can't think of a modern calculator with such a database out of the box, but many have apps for storing and searching data or text files. They might be called Notes (Prime), Documents (TI), etc.
Perhaps some allow users to update Help files but probably not?

Many also have spreadsheets that could store text, although how compatible that would be for data entry on a PC I don't know.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2024, 09:48 PM
(01-11-2024 11:16 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Some old organisers such as the Psion Organiser had an "address database", but not SQL AFAIK.

Yes, that was what sprung to mind for me also. The Psion Organiser II is more of a calculator form-factor, whereas the 3-series was more like a palmtop. Here's a list of some database related software for it here:

https://stevelitchfield.com/library/s3graphics.htm
01-12-2024, 11:02 PM
(01-11-2024 09:08 PM)Don Williams Wrote:  I didn't want to deal with a database using a calculator keyboard so I bought an HP 200LX and never regretted it. It had everything my HP 41 was missing and a lot more.

The 95/100/200LX database was excellent and very flexible. And if you bought "Buddy" you could do things like dial a phone number from the database or jump from one record to another using a tagged keyword.

Somewhat more limited was the HP19B clamshell range which had a notes capability. The manual has a section showing how they can be used to store addresses, for example.
01-13-2024, 12:42 PM
I had a Casio FX-770P with had a scientific calculator, was programmable in Basic and also had a databank function. The database was accessible by Basic. You could store record and search for them from the main interface but also using dedicated Basic instructions. It was a good machine but I had to repair a couple of time the flat connecting the screen with the main unit (it was a sort of palmtop) the last time there was no more spares (and I had bought a HP-42S in the mean time), so it was trashed.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)