Took the plunge (DM-**L)
02-20-2016, 12:16 AM
RE: Took the plunge (DM-**L)
(02-19-2016 11:43 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  A 42s with a Arm CPU and 104k of RAM?
Even if it were in a triangle format I'd buy one!

That made me laugh so hard I almost fell off the chair. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2016, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 03:27 AM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(02-19-2016 11:43 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Besides, landscape format is a winner.

But maybe I'm biased for using the 15c for 25+ years.

+/- is in the wrong position, however. It should be placed above "E", not at left.
This might be troublesome when switching to and from the 15C. I would never buy a landscape 42 with that layout.

Gerson.
02-20-2016, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 08:41 AM by Ángel Martin.)
The display LCD shown in the video is a great improvement over the DM41 implementation - that's a huge plus in my book... and one would expect they have by now figured out how to eliminate keyboard glitches given their experience, so this could be a sweet winner.

now if they'd also crack the nut and offer direct 41 Modules download... then he could pretty much ask any price for that beast - too bad the 42 doesn't have a flexible BUS design like the 41 did.
02-20-2016, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 09:03 AM by Thomas Radtke.)
(02-20-2016 03:24 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  +/- is in the wrong position, however. It should be placed above "E", not at left.
This might be troublesome when switching to and from the 15C. I would never buy a landscape 42 with that layout.
Swiss Micros might not be satisfied themselfes, their mail reads: "The positions of the keys might change before it's released for sale ..."
02-20-2016, 11:13 AM
(02-19-2016 11:48 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 11:43 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  A 42s with a Arm CPU and 104k of RAM?

Even if it were in a triangle format I'd buy one!

Besides, landscape format is a winner.

But maybe I'm biased for using the 15c for 25+ years.

This is an opportunitie of a lifetime. C'mon guys, let's support SwissMicros!

Cheers

JL

I don't need landscape repurposed calcs.
Portrait is the way to go! Tongue

If the Layout is done right ans also the softkeys are in the right position, I'd actually quite like a landscape 42s
02-20-2016, 12:21 PM
(02-20-2016 11:13 AM)Harald Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 11:48 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I don't need landscape repurposed calcs.
Portrait is the way to go! :P

If the Layout is done right ans also the softkeys are in the right position, I'd actually quite like a landscape 42s

I was obviously speaking for myself...
Oh, and regarding the support to SwissMicros: I already bought 8 calcs from them, I can wait for a proper portrait model. :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-20-2016, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 02:54 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(02-19-2016 10:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 08:37 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Or, maybe, since they sell them even in landscape format, they won't feel any urge to change it...
I won't buy it as is, as I did for the 41L.

Agree, this is likely, but we can hope they'll see the light and introduce a portrait model the way HP and God intended.

Although for the Voyager models the trailing "L" in the model name means "Large", for DM42L, I guess it means "Landscape". Sigh...

Maybe I will hold off...

Just received feedback via FB from Michael: all my lamentations for a portrait calc are not unheard! :D BIG grin!

I'm in line now: get it out and take my money!

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-20-2016, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 06:01 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(02-20-2016 09:02 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  
(02-20-2016 03:24 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  +/- is in the wrong position, however. It should be placed above "E", not at left.
Swiss Micros might not be satisfied themselfes, their mail reads: "The positions of the keys might change before it's released for sale ..."

Thank you! I received their email yesterday, but only read it this morning.
I think Egan Ford's layout is better, especially regarding 1/x, SIN, COS, TAN, R/S, Rv, x<>y, <-, ON, STO, RCL and the other 19 primary function keys at the right side of the keyboard. That is, more than three-fourths of the keys are in the right position in respect to the HP-15C :-)

Gerson.

-------------------

Egan Ford's landscape layout:

[Image: 42ct.jpg]
02-20-2016, 06:45 PM
(02-20-2016 11:13 AM)Harald Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 11:48 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I don't need landscape repurposed calcs.
Portrait is the way to go! Tongue

Michael answer on YouTube:

"With free42 anything can be reorganized and rearranged"
02-20-2016, 07:36 PM
(02-20-2016 06:45 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(02-20-2016 11:13 AM)Harald Wrote:  If the Layout is done right ans also the softkeys are in the right position, I'd actually quite like a landscape 42s

Michael answer on YouTube:

Apart from silkscreening and no provision for overlays.

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-20-2016, 07:42 PM
(02-20-2016 05:59 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  I think Egan Ford's layout is better, especially regarding 1/x, SIN, COS, TAN, R/S, Rv, x<>y, <-, ON, STO, RCL and the other 19 primary function keys at the right side of the keyboard. That is, more than three-fourths of the keys are in the right position in respect to the HP-15C :-)

Egan Ford's landscape layout:

[Image: 42ct.jpg]

Thanks for sharing this Gerson. Similarity to the 15C is very desirable IMHO for a Voyager format 42S, as this calculator is likely also used by most 42S fans, so this layout is quite good.

One problem I see here, presuming the top-left 6 keys of this proposal were to act as the F1-F6 soft keys on the 42S, is the UP/DOWN arrow keys are needed, in addition to F1-F6, for navigating the soft menus, particularly in the Alpha menus.

I suspect (and hope) alternate proposals are likely to start appearing here, and I'd guess Michael added the comment in his announcement that the keyboard may change to stimulate such brainstorming.

--Bob Prosperi
02-20-2016, 11:04 PM
(02-20-2016 07:36 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(02-20-2016 06:45 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Michael answer on YouTube:

Apart from silkscreening and no provision for overlays.

Massimo, I was answering Harald post related to the softkeys positions, sorry for not inserting the context of Michael's words, he was referencing softkeys positions, not user defined keys.

For better understanding the context, I suggest checking the YouTube video and Michael answers to the questions.

Warm Regards from Rio!
02-21-2016, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2016 12:07 AM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(02-20-2016 07:42 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  One problem I see here, presuming the top-left 6 keys of this proposal were to act as the F1-F6 soft keys on the 42S, is the UP/DOWN arrow keys are needed, in addition to F1-F6, for navigating the soft menus, particularly in the Alpha menus.

I never tried Free42 with a landscape format, but I've just download some free skins from Thomas Okken's website. The first one I checked, 42ck, is similar to the one I found on Egan Ford's website, so I am not sure about its authorship. From the accompanying picture, I infer the primary functions of the keys 'XEQ', 'Sqrt(x)', 'LOG', 'LN', '1/x' and '7' in the SwissMicros prototype are always active, the functions in the soft menus being accessible through the key 'F6', so this might not be a problem.

(02-20-2016 07:42 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I suspect (and hope) alternate proposals are likely to start appearing here, and I'd guess Michael added the comment in his announcement that the keyboard may change to stimulate such brainstorming.

My feelings as well. Everyone's help is needed and welcome. Perhaps someone ought to interrupt his vacations, I think.

Gerson.
02-21-2016, 12:26 AM
(02-21-2016 12:06 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  I never tried Free42 with a landscape format, but I've just download some free skins from Thomas Okken's website. The first one I checked, 42ck, is similar to the one I found on Egan Ford's website, so I am not sure about its authorship. From the accompanying picture, I infer the primary functions of the keys 'XEQ', 'Sqrt(x)', 'LOG', 'LN', '1/x' and '7' in the SwissMicros prototype are always active, the functions in the soft menus being accessible through the key 'F6', so this might not be a problem.

The image posted by Didier in the other thread (here) for landscape 42S is called "Type_H" found in the file Free42AndroidSkins.zip. You can config Free42 to automatically change skins (flipping between Portrait and Landscape) when the machine's orientation changes. It works quite well, but it is a bit more intuitive with keys directly under the associated soft menus.

--Bob Prosperi
02-23-2016, 02:25 PM
For anybody in the USA/North America that's ordered from Swiss Micros, roughly how long did it take to arrive? I placed the order on Friday, so I know this is probably way too soon to watch the mailbox, but I'm not really familiar with Priority Mail international transit times. One week? Two weeks?
02-23-2016, 02:54 PM
(02-23-2016 02:25 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  For anybody in the USA/North America that's ordered from Swiss Micros, roughly how long did it take to arrive? I placed the order on Friday, so I know this is probably way too soon to watch the mailbox, but I'm not really familiar with Priority Mail international transit times. One week? Two weeks?

Typically, about 2 weeks, possibly a bit less. As in 2 very long weeks to wait for a new toy, or 2 very short weeks when taxes are due. Funny that...

--Bob Prosperi
02-23-2016, 03:44 PM
(02-23-2016 02:54 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-23-2016 02:25 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  For anybody in the USA/North America that's ordered from Swiss Micros, roughly how long did it take to arrive? I placed the order on Friday, so I know this is probably way too soon to watch the mailbox, but I'm not really familiar with Priority Mail international transit times. One week? Two weeks?

Typically, about 2 weeks, possibly a bit less. As in 2 very long weeks to wait for a new toy, or 2 very short weeks when taxes are due. Funny that...

Okay, that's kind of what I was subconsciously estimating. I should have only pulled out a non-essential subset of my hair by then, so I think I'll manage.
02-29-2016, 11:18 PM
Just got them in the mail today. The build quality is great. The keys take a tiny bit more force than I'd prefer, but the response is excellent, so it's not really a problem. I noticed they seem to miss fast keystrokes easily in 12 MHz mode, but no problems at 48 MHz. Can't wait for the DM-42L, or whatever it ends up being called.
05-29-2016, 04:35 PM
archiving
What I keep trying to encourage SwissMicros is to ensure that their products come with a good documentation that can be taken offline.

Currently, their information (think of how to install drivers, use the Javascript tool, etc) are difficult to preserve other than by webscraping.

related: https://github.com/axd1967/DM-info

48SX; 42S; 15C; DM-15; DM-41; my public HP links

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)