Bug in CAS mode
06-06-2016, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 02:15 PM by std.)
Bug in CAS mode
In CAS mode, if the CAS setting "Exact" is NOT checked,
then the MAKEMAT and SUBMAT functions do not work.

Software Version: 2016 04 14 (10077)
Hardware Version: A
CAS Version: 1.1.2-11
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 02:35 PM
RE: Bug in CAS mode
MAKEMAT(0,3,3) and CAS MODE ON and EXACT MODE OFF -> [[0,0,0],[0,0,0],[0,0,0]] OK
06-06-2016, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 04:11 PM by std.)
If you select the function MAKEMAT from the toolbox catalog and then type by hand (0,3,3) it gives error.
If you select the function MAKEMAT from the toolbox catalog, then press "Help" and from the help menu you tap on "example", then in brings MAKEMAT(0,3,3) and it works.
Check it
06-06-2016, 09:07 PM
yes, you are right: if "exact" isn't checked, from the toolbox it returns the error "make mat Error: Bad Argument value"...

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2016, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 09:12 PM by std.)
I don't know guys....
If I knew that the buttons are so hard to press (compared to a casio) or that the hard to see orange letters and the fact that there are still serious bugs I wouldn't buy it.
If only the TI-Nspire CX CAS had a touchscreen...
06-06-2016, 09:31 PM
IMHO that error depending on the "Exact" parameter checked or not isn't "a serious bug", maybe MAKEMAT() function requires (as many others commands) the "Exact" always checked (I let it always checked indeed)...
The Prime is a powerful calculator and a lot of "bugs" or issues are being corrected day per day and we can only thank the HP team for that hard work to offer us an always better software, so don't discourage with it and continue to use it: perhaps you'll love it ;-)

Salvo

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Ok I don't want to be harsh, but I bought a pro tool that I counted on for my exams.
At least I would like a list with the reported issues, so that I am aware of them and take care of them. I paid so much money in order to be cool about my calculations, not to put myself on the extra stress of "what if something goes wrong with the calculator?".
06-06-2016, 10:18 PM
If you count on a device for your exams, you already know the device can perform required tasks ... (I hope).
06-07-2016, 01:48 PM
(06-06-2016 09:10 PM)std Wrote:  I don't know guys....
If I knew that the buttons are so hard to press (compared to a casio) or that the hard to see orange letters and the fact that there are still serious bugs I wouldn't buy it.
If only the TI-Nspire CX CAS had a touchscreen...

I own several casios and nspires, including a classpad ii and a cx cas. They are good calculators; but orange buttons aside, I can attest that the prime is superior to all of them in so many ways I couldn't list them all here; so I'll list three: memory, speed, programming language.
06-08-2016, 08:25 AM
I also have both prime and TI nspire cas. I find the prime much more usable, the nspire cas is too complicated, especially for direct calculations.
They are both powerful, but I find the prime is more user friendly, not only because of the touch screen.
Bugs are being corrected on the prime.

The only real problem with the prime is the color scheme, I find it very difficult to read the blue / orange functions on white background, especially in poor light conditions.
I have sometimes problem distinguishing the {} from the [].
Blue and orange are very good on a brown background, as it was with the 32sii, 42s, 48sx, ...

But on white background it is sometimes really hand to read.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)