newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
06-04-2017, 12:13 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
So finally I had some time to spare to setup the newRPL at least on the desktop. If I think how much work it took, the project looks terrific. Still I see that a lot of basic things should have coverage (or covfefe?) even just to use the newRPL desktop productively.

I'm not sure if it is ok to ask here or if I should ask on the wiki.

For example: can one develop a file in notepad++ and then pass it to the newRPL desktop? I did not find ways so far.

For collecting single files, one can mount the virtual SD and read the single files, but can the newRPL desktop version just export one newrpl file relative to the program/dir in the calc that one wants to export ?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2017, 10:01 PM
(06-03-2017 06:40 PM)smartin Wrote:  Got it. But after playing around a bit (moving programs back and forth between a PC and the 50g), I found that having a command in newRPL to create a new file would be useful (analogous to SDCRDIR). I found the only way I could write a program file (ASCII) to the SD card from the 50g was if I already had an empty file to write to (which I had to create on the PC side). SDTSTO will certainly help address this issue, but still having a command in newRPL to create a new (empty) file may be useful.

-Steve

I don't understand, SDOPENWR will create a file if it doesn't exist, or truncate to zero bytes if it does. It didn't work?
06-04-2017, 10:04 PM
(06-04-2017 12:13 PM)pier4r Wrote:  So finally I had some time to spare to setup the newRPL at least on the desktop. If I think how much work it took, the project looks terrific. Still I see that a lot of basic things should have coverage (or covfefe?) even just to use the newRPL desktop productively.

I'm not sure if it is ok to ask here or if I should ask on the wiki.

For example: can one develop a file in notepad++ and then pass it to the newRPL desktop? I did not find ways so far.

For collecting single files, one can mount the virtual SD and read the single files, but can the newRPL desktop version just export one newrpl file relative to the program/dir in the calc that one wants to export ?

I could add copy/paste to the simulator, so you can paste text from an editor into the stack, and "save Level1 to a file" outside of the virtual SD card.
06-05-2017, 02:17 AM
(06-04-2017 10:01 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 06:40 PM)smartin Wrote:  Got it. But after playing around a bit (moving programs back and forth between a PC and the 50g), I found that having a command in newRPL to create a new file would be useful (analogous to SDCRDIR). I found the only way I could write a program file (ASCII) to the SD card from the 50g was if I already had an empty file to write to (which I had to create on the PC side). SDTSTO will certainly help address this issue, but still having a command in newRPL to create a new (empty) file may be useful.

-Steve

I don't understand, SDOPENWR will create a file if it doesn't exist, or truncate to zero bytes if it does. It didn't work?

Oh, that's operator error Smile. Yes, it does work. I was using the following syntax to open the file in the root of the SDcard

Code:

":3:testfile" SDOPENWR

which fails, instead of

Code:

":3:/testfile" SDOPENWR

which works.

-Steve
06-05-2017, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 03:08 AM by Claudio L..)
(06-05-2017 02:17 AM)smartin Wrote:  Oh, that's operator error Smile. Yes, it does work. I was using the following syntax to open the file in the root of the SDcard

Code:

":3:testfile" SDOPENWR

which fails, instead of

Code:

":3:/testfile" SDOPENWR

which works.

-Steve

The partition specifier is entirely optional, you can omit it and in that case "testfile" SDOPENWR will do the trick. In fact, in general I recommend you omit the partition specifier in your code, and let the user decide which partition wants to use for your data. Even with more than one partition in a card you can set the current partition, then you don't need to specify it anymore on the file name. By default the first partition is accessed until another partition is made current.
The partition specifier in the name is only useful when you use a partition but want to do one or two operations in another one, and changing the current partition is too much of a hassle.
Also, file names can be idents (with single quotes, but they are subject to the restrictions of variable names in the calc, use strings to have more freedom), so you can do 'myvar' DUP RCL SWAP SDSTO to backup 'myvar' to a file 'myvar' in the current directory.
06-06-2017, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 03:01 AM by smartin.)
Are libraries in newRPL like those in the stock ROM (in the sense that a collection of UserRPL programs can be packaged into a library and 'attached' to the running OS from which individual programs can be executed)? Are there any commands (yet) related to creating/working with libraries?

Thanks!
Steve
06-06-2017, 06:32 PM
(06-06-2017 02:41 AM)smartin Wrote:  Are libraries in newRPL like those in the stock ROM (in the sense that a collection of UserRPL programs can be packaged into a library and 'attached' to the running OS from which individual programs can be executed)? Are there any commands (yet) related to creating/working with libraries?

Thanks!
Steve

There's no RPL libraries yet on newRPL. Any library for the time being has to be coded in C and integrated into the ROM. I have plans to create a library object and a few ideas on how to implement it correctly but nothing was coded yet. Lately time has been more scarce than ever.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)