HP-28S: Key press problem
07-25-2017, 04:45 AM
RE: HP-28S: Key press problem
(07-25-2017 01:36 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  [quote='beerlim' pid='76485' dateline='1500893921']
On my 28S I have the following issue.
During the keyboard test I noticed that the whole row 'Y' to '(' and 'EVAL' to '-' are not responsive at all.

I had this problem in my 28s. It is fixable, but you have to open the calculator and change some heat stakes. As I was not secure if I could do the job, so I send mine to an expert in HP, he did the fix and gave me back with a perfect battery door , for the original was already broken!

There are tutorials for fix this problem, I'm not sure in the old forum or find a good repair expert in HP. Is Fixthatcalc still active?

Edit: I forgot to mention, the fix did not affected the exterior of the calculator, it is like new now, perfect. The 28s is one of my preferred calculator, due its former factor and the alpha keyboard, very useful and elegant. The only thing is that HP could have made it with the alpha keyboard on the right side, as some Sharps.

I know I have to open it, the question is how and with pictures. I did find a post but the pictures were gone and just with the text I won't be able to do it.
Does anyone know on how to open the 28C or 28S? Picture instructions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2017, 03:54 PM
(07-25-2017 01:48 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  Is Metakernel pre-installed on the 48's later calculators?

I think this is not true, as I have some of the last ones, black LCD, from 2001, 2002 and there's no MK.

The 49g had MK, IIRC.

You are correct, it's in the 49G, 49G+, 48GII and 50g as a core part of the ROM, but was never included in any of the 48G series. (the 48GII is not really a 48G series, just some marketing decision to make it appeal to 48G users that didn't want to spend as much as the 49G+ and 50G).

--Bob Prosperi
07-26-2017, 03:40 PM
(06-30-2016 11:51 AM)Marcio Wrote:  The ability to import and export programs is one of the best features of Free42, in my opinion. Let's hope the DM-42 has it too.

It does.

The DM42 incorporates a 6MB flash drive. You can plug the DM42 into a USB port on your computer (no drivers needed for this, it behaves exactly like a memory stick), copy over the .raw file as exported by Free42, then disconnect the DM42 and load the program into the calculator's memory.

Incidentally, the DM42 has about 10x as much available memory as the HP-42S (as well as the 6MB flash drive), now supports IR printing with a few bugs that the developers are ironing out, and runs a hell of a lot faster.

It's going to be a HP-42S on steroids with a rugged steel back.

Beta testing is still ongoing but it's getting close to production-ready.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)