Small basic
02-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Small basic
Years (actually decades) ago, I discovered the fun of coding on my TI57. I thought that may be for some readers here, the HP Prime was also a beginning. As a matter of fact, coding on modern OSes became pretty difficult compared to the early ages. Since the Prime basic almost imposes the use of a computer, I would assume you have one.
For those who are interested in a more satisfying initiation to coding without the complexity of nowadays computers you may be interested in discovering smallBasic. It is free, simple, surprisingly fast and it reminds me the old BASIC machines (Oric, ZX81,C64) on which we learned the bases of coding. Even if you're a senior programmer, you may be surprised how easy and fun it is to do small applications.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2014, 07:53 AM
RE: Small basic
(02-16-2014 09:22 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  Even if you're a senior programmer, you may be surprised how easy and fun it is to do small applications.

Looks interesting. I'm still waiting for a successor of MS Visual Basic. Never before or after it was so easy to create computer programs, complete with user interface, database access and everything.

But to spare other people (like myself) the disappointment when trying to download Small basic, let me quote the system requirements:

"To install Small Basic, you have to be running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
You also need to be sure that you have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installed on your computer.
"

No Windows, no .NET, no Small basic...
02-17-2014, 08:18 AM
(02-17-2014 07:53 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(02-16-2014 09:22 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  Even if you're a senior programmer, you may be surprised how easy and fun it is to do small applications.

Looks interesting. I'm still waiting for a successor of MS Visual Basic. Never before or after it was so easy to create computer programs, complete with user interface, database access and everything.

But to spare other people (like myself) the disappointment when trying to download Small basic, let me quote the system requirements:

"To install Small Basic, you have to be running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
You also need to be sure that you have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installed on your computer.
"

No Windows, no .NET, no Small basic...

You could try purebasic.
I never used it, though.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-17-2014, 12:04 PM
(02-17-2014 07:53 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  I'm still waiting for a successor of MS Visual Basic. Never before or after it was so easy to create computer programs, complete with user interface, database access and everything.

Are you expecting the successor to run on a different platform?

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-17-2014, 04:25 PM
(02-17-2014 12:04 PM)eried Wrote:  Are you expecting the successor to run on a different platform?

I'm not really expecting it, but it would be nice (as I have nothing that runs Windows any more). I just tried the purebasic demo an my Macintosh (it looks like a Java program, so it should run everywhere), that Massimo suggested. Doesn't look bad, apart from the slightly buggy Java user interface, but already somewhat complicated.

Regards, Max
02-17-2014, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 04:55 PM by Manolo Sobrino.)
There is a very cool official (same Z80 binaries) free BBC Basic port for the TI 83+/84+. It's a flash application that seems to work pretty well.

You can get it here: http://www.benryves.com/products/bbcbasic

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)