HP-75 - SRQ/interrupt and HPILCMDS.LEX?
07-20-2016, 08:28 AM
HP-75 - SRQ/interrupt and HPILCMDS.LEX?
Hi,

I have two questions:
1) Is it possible to use HP-IL SRQ interrupts with the HP-75?
The series 80 machines have the ON INTR ...do something... statement, while the HP-75 seem to have no such capability. The only way to implement something similar seems to be a polling loop.

2) The only place where I found the HPILCMDS.LEX file is at Vassilis Prevelakis series80 web site. It hosts the 1252 bytes version which works fine. I read somewhere that there was a slightly improved version which is 1253 bytes long. Does someone have this version?
In the old days the original HPILCMDS.LEX file was obviously withdrawn from the swap disks due to copyright issues. Thus is it not part of the collections that I checked out.

Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2016, 11:22 AM
RE: HP-75 - SRQ/interrupt and HPILCMDS.LEX?
The IO ROM for the 75 adds an 'ON SRQ' command that allows the 75 to respond to incoming SRQs. The IO ROM also contains all of the commands in the HPILCMDS LEX, but the "LEX number" is different so if a BASIC program was written using the LEX it will not find the corresponding commands in the ROM. The easiest way around this is to convert the file to text with the LEX file loaded and convert back to BASIC with the LEX file removed and I/O ROM installed.
07-20-2016, 01:27 PM
(07-20-2016 11:22 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  The IO ROM also contains all of the commands in the HPILCMDS LEX, but the "LEX number" is different so if a BASIC program was written using the LEX it will not find the corresponding commands in the ROM. The easiest way around this is to convert the file to text with the LEX file loaded and convert back to BASIC with the LEX file removed and I/O ROM installed.

Thanks Paul for clarifying the differing 'LEX IDs', I had never considered this. When I first got my I/O ROM, I had this exact issue (program built with LEX file not working with ROM) and assumed something was simply not working right and abandoned it. As a 71B guy, I frequently run into brick walls on the 75C, and usually assume the limitation is just my lack of 75C knowledge. Today, I don't even recall what I was trying to do, but this explains what happened.

--Bob Prosperi
07-20-2016, 01:36 PM
(07-20-2016 08:28 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  2) The only place where I found the HPILCMDS.LEX file is at Vassilis Prevelakis series80 web site. It hosts the 1252 bytes version which works fine.
I read somewhere that there was a slightly improved version which is 1253 bytes long. Does someone have this version?
In the old days the original HPILCMDS.LEX file was obviously withdrawn from the swap disks due to copyright issues. Thus is it not part of the collections that I checked out.

I was not aware of the 1253 bytes version.
I have verified my electronic and magnetic card copies and they all contains the 1252 bytes version.
Out of luck! Sad
Sylvain
07-20-2016, 09:04 PM
(07-20-2016 08:28 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  2) The only place where I found the HPILCMDS.LEX file is at Vassilis Prevelakis series80 web site. It hosts the 1252 bytes version which works fine. I read somewhere that there was a slightly improved version which is 1253 bytes long. Does someone have this version?

Martin,

Score so far:

2 x HP-75C, 2 x HP-75D, 3 x Original HP " HPILCMDS I/O Utilities" Mag Cards, labeled "00075-82023 Rev. A"

Good card reads on 2 sides: 0

It appears side-1 of all cards were erased by prior owner.

However I did succeed in reading side-2 on one of the cards and it confirms a file size of 1252 bytes. So, Rev "A" is 1252 bytes, which I guess indicates we are looking for Rev "B".

I will also examine original copies of the Atlanta Conference swap disks, plus another disk I got from Mike Markov in early 1990, which appears to not be one of the later "Swap Disks".

Where did you find a 75C LEX file on series80.org ?

--Bob Prosperi
07-21-2016, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2016 03:35 PM by Martin Hepperle.)
(07-20-2016 09:04 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Martin,
Where did you find a 75C LEX file on series80.org ?

Bob,

I was led to this the LEX file by searching through the old forum. I am not sure whether this file is accessible through the web site front end, but it is still there. This is the 1252 bytes version.
see this thread

I am still trying to find the PPC/CJoPPC/Datafile/TN/... document where I read about the improved Version [see Edit below]. I think it said that a few additional HP-IL mnemonics had been added resp. replaced some empty definitions in the first version. Nothing very important as we can use the "raw" Format to output any desired frames.
I found it interesting/frustrating that this specific LEX file is quite hard to find and not among the many LEX files contained on the various available swap disks.
BTW: there seems to be no web page dedicated to the HP 75 - it is overshadowed by its little brother 71B (for good reasons, yes, but nevertheless it was a milestone machine).

Martin

Edit: ... found the reference (emphasis added by me):
Quote:Computer Journal of PPC V2N5, p.11

I wish to call attention to a NOP on older versions of the 75C LEX program HPILCMDS which comes with the I/O Utilities solution book. The problem is in the Extended HP-IL Command Capability; the Identifier, "DA" (for DATA Frame), is a NOP. In many cases one can substitute the Identifier, "DS" (for DATA WITH SERVICE REQUEST Frame), to send a DATA Frame. However, there may be situations where "DA" is necessary for proper operation.

The version of HPILCMDS I have with this "DA" bug is 1252 bytes long, has a time stamp of 11:23, and a date stamp of 18 December 1982.

I wrote to HP about this and received a reply confirming the bug and a magnetic card with a revised HPILCMDS.

This newer version is 1253 bytes long, has a time stamp of 00:00, and a date stamp of 15 July 1983. "DA" does work on this version.

Fred Lipschultz PPC # 5346
Physics Department U-46
University of Connecticut
Storrs, Connecticut 06268
07-22-2016, 02:29 AM
(07-21-2016 08:55 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  BTW: there seems to be no web page dedicated to the HP 75 - it is overshadowed by its little brother 71B (for good reasons, yes, but nevertheless it was a milestone machine).

Hello Martin,
2016 is the year of the compendium for the HP-71 and my plan, in 2017, is to make another one but for the HP-75 this time.
Also, I found a very nice macOS software that make great looking web site and the code generated is 100% client side (no special server needed).
I have started to played with it, but I need more time to master it, so somewhere near the end of 2016 or in 2017, I should be able to put online a web site for the 70 series.
Sylvain
07-22-2016, 07:52 AM
(07-22-2016 02:29 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(07-21-2016 08:55 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  BTW: there seems to be no web page dedicated to the HP 75 - it is overshadowed by its little brother 71B (for good reasons, yes, but nevertheless it was a milestone machine).

Hello Martin,
2016 is the year of the compendium for the HP-71 and my plan, in 2017, is to make another one but for the HP-75 this time.
Also, I found a very nice macOS software that make great looking web site and the code generated is 100% client side (no special server needed).
I have started to played with it, but I need more time to master it, so somewhere near the end of 2016 or in 2017, I should be able to put online a web site for the 70 series.
Sylvain

... this sounds good ... but I thought that 2016 was the "year of the monkey". So 2017 may become the year of the kangaroo...

Martin
07-25-2016, 10:20 AM
(07-22-2016 02:29 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Martin,
Sylvain

Sylvain,

maybe the attached Java program is useful for you. It can be used to quickly catalogue/list a bunch of LEX75 and TEXT75 files on a PC or possibly on a Mac. More in the readme.txt file.

Martin

Attached File(s)
.zip  HP-75-LEX-Catalog.zip (Size: 26.85 KB / Downloads: 11)
07-25-2016, 11:28 AM
(07-25-2016 10:20 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  Sylvain,

maybe the attached Java program is useful for you. It can be used to quickly catalogue/list a bunch of LEX75 and TEXT75 files on a PC or possibly on a Mac. More in the readme.txt file.

Martin

Hello Martin,
I have downloaded the file, tried it and it work perfectly on the Mac.
Thank you very much for this nice and handy tool.
Best regards,
Sylvain
12-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Quote:...
The version of HPILCMDS I have with this "DA" bug is 1252 bytes long, has a time stamp of 11:23, and a date stamp of 18 December 1982.

This newer version is 1253 bytes long, has a time stamp of 00:00, and a date stamp of 15 July 1983. "DA" does work on this version.

In the meantime I found a disassembler output listing printed in the "W&W HP 75 Assembler Handbuch" which is 1253 bytes long. I also see where the byte was inserted resp. which instruction was changed. With this information I hope to be able to recreate the binary file soon. I guess but am not 100% sure whether this is the revised version.
01-13-2017, 11:58 PM
(07-20-2016 11:22 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  The easiest way around this is to convert the file to text with the LEX file loaded and convert back to BASIC with the LEX file removed and I/O ROM installed.

How do you do this? Is there a command or LEX with the equivalent of the GET/SAVE commands of the Series 80?

BTW, the original version of the HPILCMD file supplied with the HP-75 I/O Utilities is still at:

http://www.series80.org/Misc/HPILCMD.bin

The file is in HP LIFUTIL format (DFS to LIF file type preserved xfer type), which means that the first 256 bytes of the file is the LIF header.

This link is not connected to the top-level page, as I couldn't find a way to integrate the 75 into the Series 80 site, but is going to stay there for as long as the Series 80 site is working (i.e. for a long time, I hope :-)

Best Regards

**vp
01-14-2017, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2017 03:54 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
(01-13-2017 11:58 PM)vassilisprevelakis Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 11:22 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  The easiest way around this is to convert the file to text with the LEX file loaded and convert back to BASIC with the LEX file removed and I/O ROM installed.

How do you do this?

Using the TRANSFORM command. See the HP-75 Owner's Manual and p.8 of the HP-75 I/O ROM Programming Techniques Manual.

(01-13-2017 11:58 PM)vassilisprevelakis Wrote:  BTW, the original version of the HPILCMD file supplied with the HP-75 I/O Utilities is still at:

http://www.series80.org/Misc/HPILCMD.bin

The file is in HP LIFUTIL format (DFS to LIF file type preserved xfer type), which means that the first 256 bytes of the file is the LIF header.

Translation: The file is a standard LIF disc image compatible with ILPer. The issue with the image is that the filename is WS_FILE, not HPILCMDS and typically .bin is used for ROM images. ILPer defaults to .LIF and .DAT for LIF disc images. The file has also been recently added to the HP Computer Museum, courtesy of Bob Prosperi. http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=489

Dave
01-14-2017, 03:40 PM
(07-22-2016 02:29 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  [quote='Martin Hepperle' pid='58775' dateline='1469091314']
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain, what is this for a web-software? I'm looking for a longer time after a comfortable one.

regards
Erwin
01-15-2017, 12:12 AM
(01-14-2017 03:40 PM)Erwin Wrote:  
(07-22-2016 02:29 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  [quote='Martin Hepperle' pid='58775' dateline='1469091314']
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain, what is this for a web-software? I'm looking for a longer time after a comfortable one.

regards
Erwin

Hello Erwin,

The software is called Blocs (website) and its only available on macOS.

Sylvain

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)