Unexpected user key/entry behavior (data loss) (8151)
08-16-2016, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2016 07:19 AM by TravisE.)
Unexpected user key/entry behavior (data loss) (8151)
I have a physical HP Prime with firmware version 8151 and just experienced something ugly while entering a program. I have a program 'USERKEYS' with the following:

Code:

KEY KSA_Space()
BEGIN
RETURN " ";
END

KEY KA_Dot()
BEGIN
RETURN ":=";
END;

KEY KSA_Dot()
BEGIN
RETURN ":=";
END

I had user key mode locked on and was editing a program. I held down both Shift and Alpha while typing alphabetic keys (to quickly enter lowercase) and while holding them, happened to press the Space key. Instead of entering a space like usual, the cursor inexplicably jumped to a random location, and a large chunk of code instantly vanished with no warning or explanation.

I find I can reproduce this in the editor or Home entry line as long as there is enough text (say, at least a few dozen characters or so), though it doesn't seem to happen if the current entry is very short. It happens when I activate either 1-user or user-lock and make the next “key” be a simultaneous Shift-Alpha-Space press (as in, pressing all three keys at once).

I don't understand why this is happening, but it's pretty dangerous. Fortunately I was able to force an On+Symb reboot to retrieve an earlier editing session with most of my lost code intact.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2016, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2016 10:43 AM by Fortin.)
RE: Unexpected user key/entry behavior (data loss) (8151)
This would happen when two or more characters are returned from a user key function, but only when inserted into a large amount of text.

Version 10077 includes the fix for this issue.
08-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Can you provide a link to 10077? HP pulled it from their site so I'm not able to find it the normal way. Installers for both the emulator and the physical calculator would be ideal, if they are still available somewhere.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks, Fortin, that's helpful to know. Though I see the issue even with a single character being returned. Also, I found it had nothing to do with holding down all the keys, but also just being in lowercase alpha-lock and pressing the assigned key (I thought I had been unable to reproduce it pressing one-by-one but turned out being wrong).

Unfortunately, I guess the user key function will be unusable to me for the time being. I was annoyed that space becomes a shifted key by default in lowercase alpha, despite lowercase and spaces being by far the most common characters in text. It's especially kind of frustrating coming from the 50g, which IMHO has the best overall alphanumeric key layout I've seen in a non-QWERTY calculator.…
08-18-2016, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2016 11:00 AM by Fortin.)
(08-18-2016 09:34 AM)TravisE Wrote:  Though I see the issue even with a single character being returned. Also, I found it had nothing to do with holding down all the keys, but also just being in lowercase alpha-lock and pressing the assigned key

I've never seen this with a single character, but I don't spend much time at all with shift alpha lock on....

(08-18-2016 09:34 AM)TravisE Wrote:  I was annoyed that space becomes a shifted key by default in lowercase alpha,

...for_this_reason. ;-)

The issue with alpha lock is likely fixed as well, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads-up!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)