Unusual non-HP RPN Calculator from Hungary
08-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Unusual non-HP RPN Calculator from Hungary
Here's an odd machine, listed on TAS.

Notes say it's similar to an early LED Nat Semi model, but is actually a home-grown Hungarian model from early '80s.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2016, 12:08 AM
RE: Unusual non-HP RPN Calculator from Hungary
Clone National Semiconductor 4640

Systems Analyst
48G+/58C/85B/PC1500A
TH-78A/DooGee S9
Focal & All Basic´s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2016, 12:35 AM
HP-35S clone
08-29-2016, 01:28 AM
It's not a homegrown Hungarian 4640 clone. It's just a straight NS 4640 with a partly reprinted bezel. His price is in fantasy land.
08-29-2016, 02:24 AM
(08-29-2016 01:28 AM)Accutron Wrote:  It's not a homegrown Hungarian 4640 clone. It's just a straight NS 4640 with a partly reprinted bezel. His price is in fantasy land.

This is what I thought, but I definitely don't know the Nat Semi. machines well enough to tell just looking at the pics. What gives this away? Isn't the wavy symbol above the LED window a Nat Semi design?

--Bob Prosperi
08-29-2016, 02:37 AM
The shape of the case and keys, etc. If you know the NS machines (aka Novus as well) then you'll recognize them.

I showed a lot of non-HP machines in my "These are a few of my favorite things" talk at HHC a couple of years ago. On youtube.
08-29-2016, 03:27 AM
(08-29-2016 02:24 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  What gives this away? Isn't the wavy symbol above the LED window a Nat Semi design?

Yeah that's a NS logo. It also has NS chips (with two different logo variations.) As far as I can tell, it's identical to a stock 4640 in every way, except for the print at the top of the bezel.

(08-29-2016 02:37 AM)Gene Wrote:  I showed a lot of non-HP machines in my "These are a few of my favorite things" talk at HHC a couple of years ago. On youtube.

That's one of my favorite Youtube videos.
08-31-2016, 10:48 PM
(08-29-2016 01:28 AM)Accutron Wrote:  It's not a homegrown Hungarian clone.

In the early 1980's Hiradástechnika Szövetkezet (a Hungarian electronics company) fabricated lots of calculators from major brands (like this or TI). These calculators introduced repainted faceplate and under the paint you can find the original labels of original manufacturer (eg.: Hiradástechnika manufactured PTK-1096 calculator which is same as TI-59: PTK means "Programozható Tudományos Kalkulátor" - "Programmable Scientific Calculator").

If you're perfect in Hungarian, you can find a technical summary here.

Or you can check some models on Viktor Toth's site: Just find "Hiradástechnika" at 2/3 of the page.

Csaba (from Hungary)
09-06-2016, 01:40 AM
(08-28-2016 01:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Here's an odd machine, listed on TAS.

Notes say it's similar to an early LED Nat Semi model, but is actually a home-grown Hungarian model from early '80s.

Very short description with link to the manual in English on Katie's site. (I have no connection with this auction)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)