Video: playing Wish You Were Here with Floyd Reloaded in their rehearsal room
10-25-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: Video: playing Wish You Were Here with Floyd Reloaded in their rehearsal room
For people in France and Germany: on Arte TV this evening there is the story of "Whish you were here" followed by Pink Floyd Live at Pompei 1972.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2014, 06:13 PM
RE: Video: playing Wish You Were Here with Floyd Reloaded in their rehearsal room
We're approaching the 25th anniversary of the break down of the Berlin Wall on Nov 9th 1989. Almost 9 month later Roger Waters organized a terrific concert on the then still devastated "Potsdamer Platz". He invited a lot of artists to perform "The Wall" there, including Bryan Adams, Cyndi Lauper,Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison and others. This concert is available The Wall live in Berlin. Though it is not Pink Floyd, it's really impressive.

Günter
11-13-2014, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 08:54 PM by d b.)
The new Floyd album was just hand delivered to me by a representative of the federal government.
It's mostly instrumental and built around various keyboard tracks that Richard Wright recorded in '93.
World; don't bother me for an hour.
11-14-2014, 05:35 PM
(11-13-2014 08:54 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  World; don't bother me for an hour.

Been more than an hour. Review?

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
11-15-2014, 05:01 AM
(11-14-2014 05:35 PM)Jeff O. Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 08:54 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  World; don't bother me for an hour.

Been more than an hour. Review?

Well Jeff, you axed for it: I like it, so remember that while you read this. But "it's not your father's Pink Floyd album". Of course calling it an album puts me in at least someone's father's age group.

It's built around a bunch of the late Richard Wright's recorded keyboard tracks. That gives it as firm a foundation as any record (there i go dating myself again) could ask for. Gilmore and Mason clearly loved him dearly and this feels like a personal goodbye, stated publicly. The difference from their older work is that their other stuff is where they were then at that moment stylistically. This has flavor from Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and maybe others. Again; I like that but it does take one around the map.

It has a touch of "ambiance" (think Brian Eno) to it, which might come from Eno's compatriot / the disc's producer, Phil Manzanera. Only one track has lyrics, and those are Floyd-worthy ones at that. I've listened to it five times and it's not leaving the CD changer yet.

Thanks Dave, for having made a "not remotely HP calculators" section of the forum for things like this.
11-15-2014, 10:39 AM
After a week I still don't warm at it.
Maybe they should have stopped making PF music several years ago, after the break. Or, at least, change their name.

Sure: some of the PF sound is still there, but... they really scraped the bottom of the barrel.

That said, of course I had to have it: CD+DVD. Smile

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-15-2014, 08:00 PM
(11-15-2014 05:01 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Well Jeff, you axed for it: I like it...

(11-15-2014 10:39 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  After a week I still don't warm at it.

Well, it is good to get two perspectives. Don't know if I will buy or not.

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
11-21-2014, 06:48 AM
That video at the start was - disconcerting.
Girl playing piano, doing a great job.. then a second piano joins in.

Sure it was probably MIDI or a sequencer, re-playing the accompanying section. It was just - jarring. Like a street busker with a personal amp, suddenly being accompanied by an invisible chorus and orchestra.
09-22-2016, 05:10 AM
I gather that there are a few fans of British experimentalism and American folkloric insanity here. Massimo might like both of those. So I get to brag. I'm going to see a bluegrass band, The HillBenders, play The Who’s “Tommy: A Bluegrass Opry" in it's entirety at a festival I volunteer at in 11 days.
We're Not Gonna Take IT / See Me Feel Me
Pinball Wizard
Bluegrass; It always sounds better if you're drinkin corn squeezins.
09-22-2016, 07:15 AM
(09-22-2016 05:10 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  The Who’s “Tommy: A Bluegrass Opry"

While I loved the stage play, that sounds rather ... different. But then again, so was Zachariah, The First Electric Western (with Don Johnson!). Smile
09-22-2016, 06:25 PM
(09-22-2016 05:10 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  I gather that there are a few fans of British experimentalism and American folkloric insanity here. Massimo might like both of those.

Well, not my cuppa tea, but Pinball Wizard sounds enjoyable.

Thank you Denis.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2016, 11:50 PM
(09-22-2016 05:10 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  I gather that there are a few fans of British experimentalism and American folkloric insanity here. Massimo might like both of those. So I get to brag. I'm going to see a bluegrass band, The HillBenders, play The Who’s “Tommy: A Bluegrass Opry" in it's entirety at a festival I volunteer at in 11 days.
We're Not Gonna Take IT / See Me Feel Me
Pinball Wizard
Bluegrass; It always sounds better if you're drinkin corn squeezins.

COOL!

Tommy AND Bluegrass at the same time.

Jerry Garcia would certainly dig this, not as sure about Pete Townshend, but he probably would too; he's got pretty good taste after all.

Thanks for sharing Den, have a blast at the festival, squeezins or not.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)