HP Prime app on Android issue
06-21-2016, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2016 03:02 AM by MattMercado.)
HP Prime app on Android issue
I have the HP Prime app on my Android phone. I got it to replace the TI-86 I've been using on my phone via Andiegraph. My problem is that it doesn't stop the phone from going to sleep when I've been idle. It's unusable to me. Andiegraph didn't have this issue.

Is there a fix for this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2016, 06:08 AM
RE: HP Prime app on Android issue
Am I understanding you correctly that the phone does sleep and the screen turns off, and you want to stop that behavior?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
06-21-2016, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2016 06:34 AM by MattMercado.)
(06-21-2016 06:08 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Am I understanding you correctly that the phone does sleep and the screen turns off, and you want to stop that behavior?

Yes, that's correct.

While I am using the HP Prime app, I want the phone to not sleep until I exit the app or manually push the power button.
06-21-2016, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2016 08:14 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
In my case, the screen does dim then turn off even when the screen is being written to - but I think that is a fault of Android.

When I am trying to search for a word in the documentation, my pdf reader usually suffers dementia - the screen blanks and when I* wake up Android, it is on a random page and forgets it is meant to be searching for something. Hence i often can't look up Prime documentation.

So its hardly surprising if the HP Prime has its screen blanked by Android - but there must be a way, as it doesnt seem to happen on videos.

At least the HP Prime remembers what it is supposed to be doing when the Android is awakened.

I am not sure whether the App itself is idle or starved of CPU time whilst this happens.
I havent checked that thoroughly, but my impressions vary - sometimes it seems to have continued counting, other times it seems not to have done much.

*typo corrected

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Still waiting on a solution.
06-25-2016, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2016 05:15 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
(06-25-2016 02:21 PM)MattMercado Wrote:  Still waiting on a solution.

As a workaround you could try changing the default time for screen-dimming in Android - but that would also affect other Android apps and battery life.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-27-2016, 07:10 AM
(06-25-2016 05:14 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  As a workaround you could try changing the default time for screen-dimming in Android - but that would also affect other Android apps and battery life.

Thank you for the reply but that's not acceptable.

If there is no work-around currently, I'm hoping word gets to HP and maybe they can implement it on an update. The app is almost perfect. For anyone who already has a smartphone wanting a modern graphing calculator, this is a great deal.
06-27-2016, 04:33 PM
(06-27-2016 07:10 AM)MattMercado Wrote:  
(06-25-2016 05:14 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  As a workaround you could try changing the default time for screen-dimming in Android - but that would also affect other Android apps and battery life.

Thank you for the reply but that's not acceptable.

If there is no work-around currently, I'm hoping word gets to HP and maybe they can implement it on an update. The app is almost perfect. For anyone who already has a smartphone wanting a modern graphing calculator, this is a great deal.

I don't know what the issue or problem here really is for you and you are the first person to complain about this "problem". Everything that is being worked towards for all mobile devices is *better* power efficiency and power management. Having the application stop all dimming and remain powered on indefinitely seems like its moving in the wrong direction.

Are you really trying to leave it sitting on a desk, and really need it displaying at full brightness with no dimming for 5 minutes straight? Simply tapping the screen to have it come back to full brightness after 30 seconds seems less problematic to me without sucking down battery life.

TW

06-28-2016, 05:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2016 05:17 AM by MattMercado.)
Tim Wessman,

My problem is that it doesn't just dim but it goes to the lock screen after 1 min. (which is the time set for my phone to lock). In my workflow, I do lay my calc down for 1-2 min. without using it and it's a big hassle to having to unlock my phone every time.

Other calcs don't even turn themselves off as quickly; they have, what, ~5 min. before they turn themselves off? I could, like the other poster recommended above just change my Android settings but that would affect all my other apps too.

Andiegraph, the calc app (TI-86 emulator) I previously used, has a wakelock feature which doesn't let the phone lock. The HP Prime app needs something like that.
06-28-2016, 05:23 AM
Well, i know there are android apps that can selectively make dimming not happen, and I believe locking as well for other applications. Maybe you can try one of those to see if it works.

The suggestion will be put on the list to look at, but perhaps in the meantime one of those types of programs will work.

TW

06-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks a lot Tim Wessman, I've only been made aware you're an HP engineer. Great work on the app. Could you also happen to look into haptic feedback for the HP Prime app?
06-28-2016, 02:10 PM
(06-28-2016 12:34 PM)MattMercado Wrote:  Thanks a lot Tim Wessman, I've only been made aware you're an HP engineer. Great work on the app. Could you also happen to look into haptic feedback for the HP Prime app?

That one is on the list to do as well in the next round of updates. It is there in the windows store version, but not in the ios or android version.

TW

11-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Hi... I just installed the android app on my phone.
Now I am wondering how to install a hpappprgm (including hpapp) to the android app.
Is it possible?
11-02-2016, 02:13 PM
It is currently not possible to do direct installations. Hopefully, won't be too much longer though...

TW

11-02-2016, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2016 03:51 PM by compsystems.)
(11-02-2016 06:33 AM)ttegoeh Wrote:  Hi... I just installed the android app on my phone.
Now I am wondering how to install a hpappprgm (including hpapp) to the android app.
Is it possible?
I like the system file transfer of droid48-reader for droid48 (emu hp48 on android-os)
http://www.drehersoft.com/droid48-reader/
I think this feature should clone
11-14-2016, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2016 03:09 PM by Jan_D.)
(06-21-2016 02:41 AM)MattMercado Wrote:  I have the HP Prime app on my Android phone. I got it to replace the TI-86 I've been using on my phone via Andiegraph. My problem is that it doesn't stop the phone from going to sleep when I've been idle. It's unusable to me. Andiegraph didn't have this issue.

Is there a fix for this?

I have a Samsung tablet, and have no problems in this respect.

In the Settings I chose:

Device - Lock screen - Lock automatically - 30 minutes.
Device - Display - Screen timeout - 1 minute.

So the screen dims after 1 minute, which is good for the battery life.
When I want to see the screen again I only have to press the central button, or press shortly the power button, and I can go on where I stopped.

When 30 minutes locking time is too long I can easily manually lock it by pressing the power button shortly.
11-14-2016, 05:10 PM
(11-02-2016 03:27 PM)moonbeam Wrote:  While I'm at it, it would be nice if the in-app paste wouldn't crash the Android and iOS apps; it's a bummer to be reduced to Plan C, i.e. retyping...

I have the Android app on my Samsung tablet, but I can paste source code into the Prime.

Be sure to be in Home view. Then it is pasted into the command line.

After that I can copy the source code into the program editor.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)