HP46 Simulator
12-05-2016, 10:47 PM
HP46 Simulator
Hi all,

I posted a simulator for the HP-46 (desk top printing version of the HP-45) at http://www.teenix.org

I didn't have much to work from but it appears to work as described in the owners manual.

It is a stand alone application for Windows and will run after unzipping the files into any directory.

Original operating sounds are included and you can print the paper roll to a PDF file etc if required.

Many thanks to Kees van der Sanden for providing the final few clues.

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2016, 10:17 PM
RE: HP46 Simulator
Always like to play with new things! thanks.

Haven't had any problems with anything I've done, but the keys (incl. orange) are hard to read. Just a comment.

thanksl
12-09-2016, 11:49 PM
(12-09-2016 10:17 PM)Duane Hess Wrote:  Always like to play with new things! thanks.

Haven't had any problems with anything I've done, but the keys (incl. orange) are hard to read. Just a comment.

thanksl

Hi Duane

I uploaded a new version with yellow key legends on the grey button [shift] functions. Non standard :-(, but red on grey is a difficult colour combination to read.

I will try to do clear up the yellow buttons when I get more time.

cheers

Tony
12-14-2016, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 03:56 PM by Harald.)
Hi Tony,

I finaly found the time to try your emulator. Unfortunately I did not get very far. It starts and I can type numbers. But as soon as I press enter, I get an error message saying the number is not a valid floating point number.

I am running Windows 8, might that be the problem?

Edit: I do not get the error message if I turn off the printer. However, once I have entered a number and turn the printer back on, I can print it. Just can't enter numbers or calculate while the printer is on.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-14-2016, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 07:50 PM by jch.)
Same issue on Windows 10 / 64 bits.

Cheers. Jean-Christophe
12-14-2016, 10:00 PM
(12-14-2016 03:52 PM)Harald Wrote:  Hi Tony,

I finaly found the time to try your emulator. Unfortunately I did not get very far. It starts and I can type numbers. But as soon as I press enter, I get an error message saying the number is not a valid floating point number.

I am running Windows 8, might that be the problem?

Edit: I do not get the error message if I turn off the printer. However, once I have entered a number and turn the printer back on, I can print it. Just can't enter numbers or calculate while the printer is on.

(12-14-2016 07:49 PM)jch Wrote:  Same issue on Windows 10 / 64 bits.

Cheers. Jean-Christophe

Thanks for the feedback guys

It might be a compatibility issue(?) It seems odd because looking at the error message 2.000000 is a valid floating point number.

I will look into it, although if it works properly on my computer it will be hard to track down.

I have a new 64 bit compiler at home but have not been back to put it to use yet. I'll try it on a 64 bit machine when I get home also.

cheers

Tony
12-14-2016, 11:05 PM
Hi all,

I might have found the problem

As I didn't have access to the original HP46 code, the project uses slightly modified microcode from the HP45.

The Windows program has to monitor the calculator code flow and work out when the printer has to function and what to print. To do that the program has to get values from the 56 bit calculator registers and format the data into numerical printer text as set by the current FIX or SCI setting.

The only problem I can see, is that some Windows versions may not recognise the (.) decimal separator as I expected, giving the invalid float message. I have modified the way the formatting is done using a different Windows routine.

New upload available - Hope it works :-)

cheers

Tony
12-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Hi Tony,

yes, you have found the problem. Works fine now!
Thanks for the bug fix!

Cheers,
Harald

(12-14-2016 11:05 PM)teenix Wrote:  Hi all,

I might have found the problem

As I didn't have access to the original HP46 code, the project uses slightly modified microcode from the HP45.

The Windows program has to monitor the calculator code flow and work out when the printer has to function and what to print. To do that the program has to get values from the 56 bit calculator registers and format the data into numerical printer text as set by the current FIX or SCI setting.

The only problem I can see, is that some Windows versions may not recognise the (.) decimal separator as I expected, giving the invalid float message. I have modified the way the formatting is done using a different Windows routine.

New upload available - Hope it works :-)

cheers

Tony
12-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Hi Tony,

Bug fixed for me too !
Many thanks for your quick fix.

Cheers. Jean-Christophe

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)