NOS - really?!?
12-12-2016, 01:12 PM
NOS - really?!?
Why do people use abbreviations they don't understand?

TAS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2016, 01:13 PM
RE: NOS - really?!?
(12-12-2016 01:12 PM)Harald Wrote:  Why do people use abbreviations they don't understand?

TAS

They do understand - they simply can live with the obviousl lie if they get a few more clicks and a higher price...
12-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Hello!

Maybe he has a big box full of those HP-35s in which case "NOS" stands for "Never out of stock" which, by the way, is generally the more popular meaning for "NOS".
And what do you mean by "TAS"? True Airspeed? ;-)

Regards
Max
12-12-2016, 01:55 PM
(12-12-2016 01:21 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

Maybe he has a big box full of those HP-35s in which case "NOS" stands for "Never out of stock" which, by the way, is generally the more popular meaning for "NOS".

Regards
Max

For some reason, they won't let people mention The Auction Site by name here. Weird and somewhat childish, I know but rulez iz rulez. Maybe it's like actors never mentioning the full name of Macbeth in a theater, merely calling it The Scottish Play or The Bard's Play. Smile

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-12-2016, 02:30 PM
(12-12-2016 01:55 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 01:21 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

Regards
Max

For some reason, they won't let people mention The Auction Site by name here. Weird and somewhat childish, I know but rulez iz rulez. Maybe it's like actors never mentioning the full name of Macbeth in a theater, merely calling it The Scottish Play or The Bard's Play. Smile

Tom L

What? Can't mention Ebay?
12-12-2016, 02:55 PM
(12-12-2016 02:30 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  What? Can't mention Ebay?

No, one is not supposed to say Ebay. Saying Ebay might reveal that members here use Ebay. lol...

In truth, I've used "TAS" for so long, I've actually used it by mistake in emails to people that have nothing to do with MoHPC. Sorta hard to explain, no one finds the explanation credible.

The funny thing is, as far as I can tell, there never has been any prohibition of using the term itself, only (quite reasonable and appropriate) guidelines to not use the Forum to promote one's item's for sale there. Imagine how messy this place would be if sellers could use it. It would no doubt lead to threads of folks discussing just Ebay. Like this one. Yikes!

--Bob Prosperi
12-12-2016, 03:09 PM
The original rule was that if you referenced an ebay auction, you are supposed to identify your own ebay name so as to clarify your neutrality of the auction. And early on, this site had one or two people who would make some comment about this auction or that auction to bring attention to an auction that in all HIGH probability was THEIR auction. This reason and the other acronym of TOS (The Other Site, an Hp 41c site), made TAS a popular substitute acronym for ebay.
Others are welcome to correct this abbreviated history if they wish.
So, when someone lists an ebay auction, they really should list their own ebay name so as to provide some information on their own motives.
Clearly, at this site the above auction is certainly not applicable due to the outrageous claims of this particular auction.
12-12-2016, 04:49 PM
(12-12-2016 01:55 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  For some reason, they won't let people mention The Auction Site by name here. Weird and somewhat childish, I know but rulez iz rulez.

I've often wondered where "TAS" came from and now there's some "they" that apparently isn’t allowing ebay to be mentioned. Wow! Smile Even more amusing is apparently he's not allowed to say ebay in the text but can have ebay in his link. Smile

We have had some ebay issues over the years. One guy used to post link after link with no commentary and people got repeatedly annoyed. Some people thought they were his own auctions. Others just got annoyed with threads started just to link to ebay. (At one point someone suggested, or maybe we had a rule, that you must say SOMETHING about ebay links, but as I recall the guy doing it didn't bother.)

Another prominent HP calculator dealer on ebay got attacked here by what looked like dozens of collectors - but it eventually turned out that all of them were one guy - another HP calculator dealer on ebay who as far as I can tell had exactly the same business model as the guy he was attacking. I made that guy stop by telling him I would reveal his real name if he kept it up - he had cultivated a goodguy/collector-only image by using one ebay account to buy and a different one to sell, whereas the guy he was attacking here used a single account for both and thus had a badguy/reseller image. Smile

Several times, I have received complaints from people demanding that I remove defamatory comments about their ebay auctions. One guy claimed that he was going to go to the FTC for "restraint of trade". Other people have demanded that I "do something" about people who use this site and who allegedly didn’t deliver an ebay'd calculator or misrepresented it.

Since I provide this forum as a free service and it really isn't focused on auctions elsewhere, receiving threats and complaints like this is kind of an annoyance and I think people should post their complaints on the auction site's feedback system. The auction site takes a share of the price so certainly that can provide some level of customer support - more than I can at least.

Some time back then someone - I think maybe Luiz - had the idea that if people were required to mention their ebay names when they talked about ebay here, that would cut down on the shenanigans. So we tried that for a while but people kept "forgetting". (About 90% of the time.)

However, terms like TAS, fleabay, all seem to predate this, going back to the 90s as far as I recall and show up elsewhere too so I don't think they were created here. For example, if I google "That auction site" (quotes included), I get lots of links to various forums talking about things people saw on - I assume - ebay. Amusingly, if I bing the same string, the second match is ebay! (The first match is one click away from ebay.) So I guess bing gets a point for being clever on this one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2016, 05:43 PM
As a buyer and seller on ebay, I don't usually post anything here. Don't want to be impolite to friends and near family.

I do sometimes post links to ebay auctions if I find them:

a) Amusing (perhaps $5000 for a TI-30 NIB that is missing the display or something.

or

b) RARE beyond my belief. A TI-30 with an ENTER key or such.

:-)

or

c) Something useful.

But the probably is always that you can become suspect if you do this often as either trying to influence auctions, or out a great find on ebay that someone else here really hoped would not be noticed. So, I try to stay with a or b above, but even then not to over use the ability here.
12-12-2016, 06:02 PM
As far as "NOS" is concerned, I have seen the abbreviation used for New Old Stock. From Wikipedia: New old stock (NOS), also backronymed as "new on the shelf" or "new off the shelf," refers to obsolete equipment, or original parts (components) for obsolete equipment, that have never been sold at retail.

I think I like "new off the shelf" myself.

Perhaps it stands for something else in German? Smile

David
12-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Never on sale

Never on special

Never on spec

Not old stock
12-13-2016, 01:38 AM
Ninety-One Scratches? :-)

The serial number smelled like prime to me. Indeed it is (74419). I have yet to get a calculator with a prime serial number.
12-13-2016, 01:42 AM
New Old Stock (i.e. the stock is new in the sense that it has never been opened/used, but is old because it was stock from a long time ago). An example would be a never-opened and still-in-box HP48GX calculator.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
12-13-2016, 01:57 AM
So NIB is Never In Box.
EUC is Extremely Used Condition.
GUC is Gunk Under Cover/Case.
NUC is ?

More eBay acronyms?
12-13-2016, 02:38 AM
(12-13-2016 01:57 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  More eBay acronyms?

Ebay has it's own list, which I guess makes them 'official' (at least in UK).

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/acronyms.html#EC

--Bob Prosperi
12-13-2016, 03:20 AM
(12-12-2016 01:55 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  For some reason, they won't let people mention The Auction Site by name here. Weird and somewhat childish, I know but rulez iz rulez. Maybe it's like actors never mentioning the full name of Macbeth in a theater, merely calling it The Scottish Play or The Bard's Play. Smile
Tom L

This subject comes up regularly. The factoid that "they" don't allow something is usually brought up. The last time was 8 months ago here, commented on in post # 2 & 4. The post originally complaining about the TAS "problem" was ugly and got removed.

Long time members remember that there was no Shakespearian Drama, just a request that If we are using the museum's forum to beat our own drum in an ebay sale; we mention that it is our own sale we are advertising.

This was decided before I was a moderator but it seemed fair enough to me.
12-13-2016, 07:26 AM
To prevent unpleasant discussions, just forbid the use of the TAS acronym Big Grin.

SCNR Wink. I like this acronym, it's part of our culture.
12-13-2016, 12:27 PM
I always assumed that TAS, "the auction site," for eBay, was a play on TOS, "the other site," which really is a site that may not be mentioned on, or at least not linked to from, this one.

Or do I have my time line wrong? :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2016, 01:12 PM
(12-13-2016 03:20 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 01:55 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  For some reason, they won't let people mention The Auction Site by name here. Weird and somewhat childish, I know but rulez iz rulez. Maybe it's like actors never mentioning the full name of Macbeth in a theater, merely calling it The Scottish Play or The Bard's Play. Smile
Tom L

This subject comes up regularly. The factoid that "they" don't allow something is usually brought up. The last time was 8 months ago here, commented on in post # 2 & 4. The post originally complaining about the TAS "problem" was ugly and got removed.

Long time members remember that there was no Shakespearian Drama, just a request that If we are using the museum's forum to beat our own drum in an ebay sale; we mention that it is our own sale we are advertising.

This was decided before I was a moderator but it seemed fair enough to me.

OIC! That *is* fair. I, for one, would certainly be interested in links to auctions of HP calculators so I'm glad there's no ban only a disclosure requirement.

Tom L
AKA - F. Dinkum Tucker

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-13-2016, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 01:18 PM by Thomas Radtke.)
(12-13-2016 12:27 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Or do I have my time line wrong? :-)
No, you're correct. It once was required to disclose the ebay username when posting TAS-links (Big Grin). This was the origin of the legend, and years after TOS.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)