Update firmware
12-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Update firmware
Hello everyone,

I'm a new HP Prime user and the version of my HP Prime firmware is 8151 (2015-06-17). Do you recommand me to update my firmware to the new 2016-08-29? If there is a problem with the update, can I downgrade the HP Prime?

Thank you

François
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2017, 04:20 PM
RE: Update firmware
Bonjour, François,
Welcome to our MoHPC forum.

I'm not the expert here, but while Tim is away and not having the chance to give you a better answer, I would say that it is a good idea to have the Prime up to date with the latest firmware version, in order to have the new features available and even have most of the known issues (bugs) fixed as well.

Before proceeding with any tasks, please read this post in full.

General update procedure

1.- I would start by installing the HP Prime Connectivity Kit on your PC.

2.- Then I would install the HP Virtual Calculator to take advantage of the Prime features at a even higher speed than using the physical Prime machine.

3.- Then I would update the physical Prime calculator.
To do this, run the HP Connectivity Kit (HPCK) and then connect your physical Prime to your PC using a USB cable.
You Prime should be recognized and listed in the HPCK.
The HPCK will detect the Prime firmware version and it will download the latest firmware version for you. Just follow the wizard to update your physical Prime.

Update issues

Some people reports on issues experienced during the firmware update procedure.
This forum has plenty of posts explaining on how to fix these issues.
Should you run into trouble, please use the "Search" function at the top right corner of this MoHPC forum and in the "Search by Keyword" field, type the words "Prime" and "update".

General recommendations

Now, there are a few things to do before staring the firmware update in order to avoid some of the reported issues:

- Use a Windows 7/8.1/10 PC.
Use an Windows administration user account (local Administrator or any other user account belonging to the local administrators group are good for this job).

- Use a powered USB version 2.
USB3 should work fine on the latest releases, but should be avoid at this stage.
Powered USB means a PC direct internal USB port; do not use USB external hubs.

- Make sure the Prime battery is fully charged.

- Always assume that the update procedure may result in a memory reset machine.
So, copy all your existing Prime work and put it in a safe place.

- Use a direct, low latency, Internet access connection on your PC.
A home Internet connection protected by a NAT router/firewall is good for this task.
However, using Internet access from within Corporate Organizations can result in failed firmware downloads/updates caused by very restrictive firewall policy rules that we are not aware of and can't check/change.

Good luck with your update.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)