WP34s on Swiss Micros - difficulty and worth
12-30-2016, 06:05 PM
WP34s on Swiss Micros - difficulty and worth
With the HP 30b discontinued, and the excellent reputation of Swiss Micros calculators, I wondered if the WP34s firmware/machine code could be easily rewritten for the DM line's chip:
"they run on a battery saving LPC1115 ARM processor emulating the NUT processor"
from what's written already for HP30b's:
30 MHz Atmel AT91SAM7L128 (ARM7TDMI core)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2016, 09:33 PM
RE: WP34s on Swiss Micros - difficulty and worth
Most likely, such a port would be straightforward. The hardware abstractions are good in the 34S.
However, we'd need a volunteer to do the work.

Likewise, I'm sure an android port would be well received. Again, a volunteer is required.

Pauli
12-31-2016, 02:30 AM
(12-30-2016 09:33 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Most likely, such a port would be straightforward. The hardware abstractions are good in the 34S.
However, we'd need a volunteer to do the work.

Likewise, I'm sure an android port would be well received. Again, a volunteer is required.

Pauli

Hi Pauli,

I started to try to port the Qt WP34s emulator to android, but got bogged down and distracted. What would our ideal volunteer look like? What skills would they have? Where and why would they be looking for projects? Would they be students looking to make their mark?
I'm pretty committed through next fall, and may well not be competent enough. ( I wonder what a hardware abstraction is).

Brian
12-31-2016, 02:57 AM
Some knowledge of Android application writing and UI would be about it I suspect. Of course, I wasn't involved in the various porting efforts but other people here were and would have a better idea of what is involved.

I'm not sure I know how to answer the remainder of your questions. Who knows why people play with calculators.

Pauli
12-31-2016, 04:31 AM
(12-31-2016 02:30 AM)Briancady413 Wrote:  ( I wonder what a hardware abstraction is).

A hardware abstraction layer (HAL) is an abstraction layer, implemented in software, between the physical hardware of a computer and the software that runs on that computer.
Its function is to hide differences in hardware from most of the operating system kernel, so that most of the kernel-mode code does not need to be changed to run on systems with different hardware.

Reference: wikipedia

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)