how to read HP pdf manuals on an iPad
12-31-2016, 12:34 PM
how to read HP pdf manuals on an iPad
I'm loving The Museum's document set. In my ideal world, I would like to sit in a comfy chair, hold an old HP calculator in one hand, and read its pdf manual from an iPad in the other hand. However, the (colour) pdf files for the manuals, tend to be too big to email onto an iPad. Any suggestions? Is it possible to access the museum's manuals online from an iPad?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2016, 05:00 PM
RE: how to read HP pdf manuals on an iPad
(12-31-2016 12:34 PM)mlydean Wrote:  I'm loving The Museum's document set. In my ideal world, I would like to sit in a comfy chair, hold an old HP calculator in one hand, and read its pdf manual from an iPad in the other hand. However, the (colour) pdf files for the manuals, tend to be too big to email onto an iPad. Any suggestions? Is it possible to access the museum's manuals online from an iPad?

Here are several options that I use:

1. Put the PDF files in the "Cloud". I use Microsoft OneDrive because my Office365 account at work provides 1TB of storage. Other options are Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

2. I use the PDF Reader Pro app on my iPad. The application includes its own web server. When this server is enabled, I'm able to open its web site (192.168.1.xxx:5500) from my laptop. From there I can upload PDF files directly into the application's file system.

3. Connect your iPad to a PC via USB and use iTunes to copy the PDF files to your PDF reader's file system.

HTH

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
12-31-2016, 05:02 PM
You can transfer the manuals you wish to read to the iPad from iTunes.

Because the file titles and locations in the MoHPC library are not always intuitive, I would suggest browsing on your computer beforehand to locate the files you're interested in reading.

This is how I do it on my Mac, I can only assume the process is the same or similar in Windows.

Connect your iPad to your computer and select it in iTunes then go to the Apps page for your iPad (the page in iTunes that shows the apps you've installed). If you scroll down, you will come to the File Sharing section of the page and, on the left, a list of apps that can transfer files between the computer and the iPad. I use Adobe Acrobat on the iPad for reading PDF files as I prefer it to iBooks so, I would now select Acrobat from the list on the left and the window to the right will populate a list of documents installed on the iPad in Acrobat. Below the list, you will see a button labeled Add... which allows you to browse for and move documents to your iPad. When you've selected and added the files you're interested in reading, sync your iPad and the files will be available in Acrobat.
12-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Another solution is to use a soft like iFunbox which is easier than iTunes.
I use GoodReader as a PDF reader and with iFunBox, transfering PDF from the Mac or PC is a simple drag & drop.
12-31-2016, 06:56 PM
The best way is put the files in the cloud, as Mark already posted. I use Google Drive, very easy, but actually nothing compares to read a real manual.
12-31-2016, 10:48 PM
Thank you everyone. Armchair nirvana approaches.
01-01-2017, 01:15 AM
I have a Raspberry Pi that I use as a home server, and it's running Apache (among loads of other things). I set up a web site that's only accessible internally, and copied the entire collection to its document root, with the index HTML files from all the discs manually stitched together into a single page. So I just pull up my local MOHPC site, find what I'm after, and save it into iBooks or PDF Expert or whatever is appropriate if it's something I want to keep on the iPad.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Here's the Apple way...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205751

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)