How does one buy the latest hardware release.
01-27-2017, 05:53 AM
How does one buy the latest hardware release.
There are 3 hardware releases. The first release, the second and the third, which has the same number as the second, but has darker blue text and lighter number key background color. I am having trouble buying a calculator with the new text colors. In my local best buy store, the calculators are all with the paler colors. Since it has the same number as the previous release, I cannot specify which release to online retailers...so how does one purchase the latest release of calculator?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2017, 08:44 AM
RE: How does one buy the latest hardware release.
This subject was discussed here in another thread here.

If my memory serves me well, basically the NW280AA were the initial production batches (hardware rev.A) that do not support wifi connectivity among other missing features present on the successor G8X92AA series (hardware rev.C) .

The G8X92AA series have at least two known editions, one with the original keyboard color schema used in the NW280AA series, and a new color schema explained in the above link.

Apparently the only way to distinguish between the two G8X92AA editions is to look at it in a shop.
Although the later blister packages comes with a cutout through the plastic above the USB port, but I don't know if this detail is a unique feature of the later editions.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-27-2017, 02:03 PM
That's exactly my point, and the only versions in the shops that I'm seeing is the second version....
01-27-2017, 03:48 PM
I think the only way is to order direct from HP.
01-27-2017, 10:11 PM
I even tried that. I connected to the HP online store and chose to chat with someone there. The person barely even knew what the product was, and their comment was: I think the ones we have in stock are probably the latest revision....
i.e. I'd be gambling by ordering it there.
01-30-2017, 06:21 AM
Hello,

HW rev A to C switch was done years ago...
As a result, I would assume that pretty much all rev A are out of the 'system'. If you order from a low volume retailer, it might be that they still have some on inventory, but I would doubt it.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
01-30-2017, 11:07 AM
I want to buy another prime, also. However, I don't know of any way to purchase one on line, and to be assured of getting the latest hardware. If there were some sku designator, or model identifier, I would purchase it right away. I just don't want to mess around with exchange/return issues. Is there any SURE way to get the latest hardware?

For me, it's all about the 'visibility of the keyboard' hardware change that I actually want to purchase. It's disappointing that such an, otherwise, fine product, and bearing the hp logo(!), even has this problem. Requiring customers to buy it twice in order to resolve the hardware problem, says quite a lot about the ethic's change from the hp product standards, that used to define this company, and that I used to know.

-Dale-
01-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Yesterday I saw only old revs in a Best buy near NorthPark Mall in Dallas. So there is still a danger of getting that one.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-30-2017, 04:25 PM
There is a recent comment on the French Amazon site that complains about the pale colors of the keyboard. So, even a big retailer like Amazon still sells the old version with the bad colors.

I've also learned in a French forum that the new white package can still contain the old version.
There is absolutely NO WAY to insure this is the last version, unless one sees it in a store.

I'm happy not to have bought the Prime, partly because of this problem, and I will still avoid this product.
Shame on HP!

Jean-Charles
01-30-2017, 05:02 PM
What is HP supposed to do about it? Force retailers to throw away old stock for a cosmetic change?

I just got my Prime at Best Buy and I think it is the old one, but I got it with a sale.
01-30-2017, 05:41 PM
Hi Keith -

In order to answer the question about what should be done, makes me wonder what your previous experience with Hewlett Packard might be. For example, are you one of the long standing hp customers, who have evolved through the various calculator offerings? Do you have additional experience with hp test and measurement equipment, etc?

Those of us who have a lot of experience with hp products know that product quality used to be a high priority, and the mere name Hewlett Packard on a product was equivalent to the best that money could buy. Little worry over fitness for purpose and durability.

Forty years worth of my personal experience, electronic test equipment, like the AF and RF generators, distortion analyzers, oscilloscopes, telephone test sets (TIMS), and several calculators from the HP-25, 48, 49, 50, and now we have the hp prime, in at least three versions. I have also purchased several printers, desktops, and my current laptop is an hp Spectre x360. I must have spent well over $100,000 with all the hp 'stuff' I have owned and used professionally, over the years. When I purchased the hp 49, it wasn't long before hp replaced it with the much improved hp50 (at no additional charge).

So what I would like is for hp to offer an upgrade path. Worst case scenario, I pay full retail, and at least <get> a new visible keyboard version. Then other things that would be consistent with earlier corporate quality / customer service, would be to offer a discounted exchange program, or a free hardware upgrade where you send old unit back, and get refurbished new style keys device, or a complete replacement.

Something like that would make long time customers, like myself, more confident in the hp product offerings of today, and more engaging in purchase selections going forward. Finally, I would like hp to be able to direct me to a resource where I could at least purchase a new visible keyboard prime.

-Dale-
01-30-2017, 06:28 PM
I have had an HP41 and currently have an HP71B and a prime. I have purchased thousands of dollars of HP stuff, including a lot of HP-IL peripherals.

I have also used HP equipment my whole career as an RF Engineer - we *still* use legacy HP stuff - my old job had a bunch of 8510's and my current job really likes 432 power meters.

So, I think I am entitled to an opinion. I also agonized about getting the latest prime, but knew that as long as it was the latest hardware rev, the small cosmetic differences did not matter that much.
01-30-2017, 06:43 PM
(01-30-2017 05:02 PM)KeithB Wrote:  What is HP supposed to do about it? Force retailers to throw away old stock for a cosmetic change?

That cosmetic change is crucial for many, many users that can't see the printed label on the previous series.

Well, HP should have asked the Chinese manufacturers to properly identify each different production model with a unique identifier.
And set a different price for each different model, so the end user can have a choice.

HP has a problem with this model. So HP fixed it on the new production batches.
But HP refuses to fix the very same existing problem on thousands of sold machines, and many still are in the shells for sell.
And to make the things worse, the potential buyer has no way to identify the model to buy. In most of the countries the HP calculators are not available in local stores. You have to order online, so you never know what you get.

What is the logic behind this?
As it is, HP is not really respecting their customers. Sorry for this rant but that's what i feel at the moment.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Your experience suggests that you know the quality of hp products, generally, defines excellence. Contrast that with the lack of contrast on the hp prime keyboard, and what hp should do about it can be easily seen.

I'm with you on not expecting anything above and beyond. It's just that when I bought an hp prime, on line, with historic confidence, I felt the product would be the best, and I didn't see it any other way ... until I saw it, and couldn't hardly see it.
01-30-2017, 07:45 PM
(01-30-2017 07:06 PM)DrD Wrote:  It's just that when I bought an hp prime, on line, with historic confidence, I felt the product would be the best, and I didn't see it any other way ... until I saw it, and couldn't hardly see it.

Smile very well said Smile

I learned to respect and enjoy HP equipment in the 70's, when I was at the Electrical Engineering at the University in Lourenzo Marques (actual Maputo city, Mazambique).

Their laboratory equipment, like the ones you mention before, was among the best at the time (well, for some equipment like oscilloscopes I preferred Tektronix with their top class materials, build and circuit design).
And the HP calculators (I owned a 25C and a 67) were the absolute best and for me there was really no competition at the time.

So yes, I still respect HP for what they did and can still do.
The HP Prime is a good product, I said it many times before.
But no product is perfect. Fixes are being delivered. Great work from HP on firmware releases. Free of charge.

As you have mentioned, I really would love to see HP offering a keyboard fix for the existing customers.
Not for all of them. Just for those who can't read those orange labels, like myself.

I even go further and propose HP to offer spare parts for sell at the local HP branches.
I would pay for a keyboard set and replace it myself.
During the early 80's, HP in Lisbon used to sell or even give away spare parts for their customers. I was a happier HP customer at the time.

To finish this long rant, I have to say that CASIO, the number one calculator seller in Portugal, having the machines for sell in every major shop in every mall (contrary to HP where you just can't find a PRIME or a 12C for sell anywhere anymore), have a totally different attitude dealing with their customers. Here is what happened with me:

Two years ago I acquired a used CASIO Algebra 2.0 calculator and the metal memory backup battery cover was missing.
I contacted CASIO Portugal by mail, never expecting any answer. However a few days later they call me back asking for my home address so they could ship the spare parts.
Not only they sent me the required part but also sent me a complete battery compartment back cover. For free, as they didn't want to charge for that.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-30-2017, 08:24 PM
In spite of the shortcomings, I still love the prime. I must admit that I use the emulator 90% (or more) of the time. It is so much more convenient, and visible.

I have a lot of experience with a variety of Tek scopes, spectrum analyzers and video terminals. My home used to be quite close to the Tektronix campus, and I have several friends that worked in the engineering department there. I spent many evenings at building 50, what we called the "million dollar hobby shop," years ago!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)