To glue, or not to glue (HP28C repair)
02-04-2017, 11:22 PM
To glue, or not to glue (HP28C repair)
After receiving an HP 28C as a gift, the very next day I dropped it. Which, was kind of terrifying. The good news is, all of the circuitry works, the screen is fine, and there are 0 cracks. The only problem is that the left keyboard is loose. The keyboard sort of stays on the calculator, but it wiggles around and if you rotate it upside down the keyboard kind of leans away from the calculator.

So my question is... Should I try to glue the keyboard in place? Or just leave it as is? I'm never going to sell it, so I really don't care about resale value(Not that's worth much) but I want it to still look nice as possible.

If so, what kind?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2017, 04:42 PM
RE: To glue, or not to glue (HP28C repair)
Hello!

(02-04-2017 11:22 PM)Isaac S. Friedman Wrote:  The only problem is that the left keyboard is loose.

You mean the housing itself is intact with no cracks, but the keyboard is loose inside the housing? The problem is that there are no screws for opening the housing. I have not tried myself to open an HP28, but according to internet wisdom (http://www.hpcalc.org/hp28/docs/hp28io.txt) this is almost impossible without causing a lot of damage to the calculator.

And I wouldn't know how to apply any glue from the outside without blocking the keys in the process.

Personally, I would leave it as it is as long as the calculator is fully functional. The left keyboard is really only needed for programming and symbolic math and you will soon discover than the 28C does not have enough memory for either.

Regards
Max
02-05-2017, 08:13 PM
RE: To glue, or not to glue (HP28C repair)
Quote:You mean the housing itself is intact with no cracks, but the keyboard is loose inside the housing?

Yep. Your probably right about leaving it as is. Also... the 28C/S maybe the most fragile calculator HP ever made!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)