Typing special characters on the Connectivity Kit
02-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Typing special characters on the Connectivity Kit
HI all,

This is one that's been bugging me since I started using a Prime, the emulator and the Connectivity Kit (CK).

Using the CK to talk to the emulator and write/debug code makes life so much easier than having to type stuff out on the Prime's keypad, but there is one exception. Comparison operators, more specifically inequality. Trying a few things out it looks like you can use this to make things easier when trying to do a less (or greater) than or equals comparison:
Code:
IF A>=B THEN ...... END;
But what about inequality? This obviously doesn't work:
Code:
IF A!=B THEN ...... END;
...because you're testing to see if the factorial of A is equal to B. As far as I can see you need to find a way of entering the inequality character, which is not readily available on a keyboard:
Code:
IF A≠B THEN ...... END;
In order to get that I had to switch to the emulator, enter the appropriate symbol then switch back to the CK (and copy/paste it into this message).

Am I missing something obvious here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 04:20 PM
RE: Typing special characters on the Connectivity Kit
For inequality you can use:
Code:
IF A<>B THEN ...... END;
02-06-2017, 04:35 PM
[SOLVED] Typing special characters on the Connectivity Kit
(02-06-2017 04:20 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  For inequality you can use:
Code:
IF A<>B THEN ...... END;
Parfait et tellement simple ! Merci.

Perfect and so simple. Thanks!
02-06-2017, 11:39 PM
It would seem useful to have some way of selecting the 2-character relation variants (and also := instead of arrow) from the pop-up box, or translating one symbol into the other, otherwise if you write a bit on the PC and a bit on the device, one will end up with a mixture of different symbols doing the same thing, only some of which edit/print easily.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2017, 08:34 AM
(02-06-2017 11:39 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  It would seem useful to have some way of selecting the 2-character relation variants (and also := instead of arrow) from the pop-up box, or translating one symbol into the other, otherwise if you write a bit on the PC and a bit on the device, one will end up with a mixture of different symbols doing the same thing, only some of which edit/print easily.

In the absence of such a feature, what I do on the rare (painful) occasions when I use the actual Prime to write code is discipline myself to use the 2-character relation symbols always.

Note to self: try out the HP-PPL syntax highlighting plug-in for Notepad++...
03-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Another one in the same series...

I've needed to use the R→B and B→R functions recently. Is there an easy way of typing the '→' or a sequence that the Prime recognises as it in the ConnKit?
03-10-2017, 03:19 AM
(03-09-2017 03:49 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  I've needed to use the R→B and B→R functions recently. Is there an easy way of typing the '→' or a sequence that the Prime recognises as it in the ConnKit?

On my Windows computer, holding down the ALT key, typing 26 on the keypad, and then releasing the ALT key, types "→" in the Connectivity Kit's program editor, as well as in this forum. It is correctly inserted as Unicode character 8594 (the right-arrow character).

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 04:01 AM
Create a program that calls each command and name them R2B and B2R for easier typing.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
03-10-2017, 11:25 AM
(03-10-2017 03:19 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  On my Windows computer, holding down the ALT key, typing 26 on the keypad, and then releasing the ALT key, types "→" in the Connectivity Kit's program editor, as well as in this forum. It is correctly inserted as Unicode character 8594 (the right-arrow character).

Thanks Joe.

I've been using desktop computers since before Microsoft even existed and I never knew that one! The old Alt+0nnn to get the character with code "nnn" in the Windows-1252 codepage, yes (I use that frequently when writing in French and German), but not that one.

Cheers,
Godwin
03-11-2017, 11:02 AM
(03-10-2017 04:01 AM)Han Wrote:  Create a program that calls each command and name them R2B and B2R for easier typing.

Code:

EXPORT R2B(r)
BEGIN
RETURN(R→B(r));
END;

EXPORT B2R(b)
BEGIN
RETURN(B→R(b));
END;

With those two programs, you will never have to use R→B() or B→R() again. You can also place them inside a program file (without the export) and treat them as a macro for these commands.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)