Help needed to load ROMCOPY into Emu71/Win
03-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Help needed to load ROMCOPY into Emu71/Win
Hi,
I have obviously not reached the critical mass regarding insight into the HP-71B, so please bear with me for asking my question again...

I have the following setup:
* A PC with Win/Emu-71
* ILPer
* PILBOX
* 2 HP-71B, both with HP-IL modules
* HP-IL cables
* Some CMT-32KB modules for each of the 71B:s

I would like to:
1. Load the ROMCOPY program into both of my HP-71B machines.
2. Start playing with them :-)

But I really do not understand how to get it to work. Oh yes, I have read the manuals but I still haven't found what I am looking for.

Anyone?

Regards,
Matti Sweden
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2017, 12:34 AM
RE: Help needed to load ROMCOPY into Emu71/Win
(03-11-2017 07:49 PM)MattiMark Wrote:  But I really do not understand how to get it to work. Oh yes, I have read the manuals but I still haven't found what I am looking for.

Do you have a .lif file (on the PC) which contains ROMCOPY? (one source is the file lexfl1.lif in the SWAP folder in Joe Horn's Online Lif Disk Project (http://hhuc.us/2014/files/Speakers/08,09...20Project/).

Mount that .lif file in IL-Per (Drive1), connect your 71B to the PIL-Box, then you can use do this:

RESTORE IO - Configures the HP-IL loop, assigns devices, etc.
DISPLAY IS PRINTER - sets the virtual printer in ILPER as your display device, like a mini-monitor
CAT :TAPE(1) - Lists a catalog of the contents of the .lif file to verify you can read it
COPY ROMCOPY:TAPE(1) TO ROMCOPY - Copies the program ROMCOPY from the .lif volume to your 71's MAIN RAM.

Now you can use ROMCOPY to copy the entire contents of an IRAM Port to a .lif file on IL-Per.

Example:

Insert a RAM module into port 4 of the 71
[ON]
FREE :PORT(4) to create an IRAM in that port
Copy whatever you want into that IRAM
Mount an empty .lif file on IL-Per drive #2
ROMCOPY :PORT(4) TO MYFILE:TAPE(2) - copies an image of the entire IRAM contents to the file MYFILE on the .lif volume on drive #2

There's a lot of moving parts in those steps, so holler if it doesn't make sense, but please be specific about what does work, what doesn't, error messages at what step, etc.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2017, 09:16 AM
RE: Help needed to load ROMCOPY into Emu71/Win
(03-12-2017 12:34 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Do you have a .lif file (on the PC) which contains ROMCOPY? (one source is the file lexfl1.lif in the SWAP folder in Joe Horn's Online Lif Disk Project (http://hhuc.us/2014/files/Speakers/08,09...20Project/).
The files on Joe's site are using the .dat extension, but it's now better to use .lif extensions for make clear that there are LIF files (the .dat extension type comes from my Emu41/71, yes I know :-).

Quote:Mount that .lif file in IL-Per (Drive1), connect your 71B to the PIL-Box, then you can use do this:

RESTORE IO - Configures the HP-IL loop, assigns devices, etc.
DISPLAY IS PRINTER - sets the virtual printer in ILPER as your display device, like a mini-monitor
The DISPLAY IS command is convenient to see the operations, especially the first time you will do it, but be aware that if you later use your HP71 alone without a closed HPIL loop, it will take a longer time to startup due to this command (it will try to find a HPIL DISPLAY). Just do "DISPLAY IS *" to recover.

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)