RE: an interesting puzzle
(03-14-2017 09:32 PM)SlideRule Wrote:  My 3¢ analysis - the UNBORDERED square -

SlideRule

no
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2017, 10:42 PM
The first one? (because it is too normal compared to the others)

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-14-2017, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2017 10:52 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
The circle?
Its the only one thats circular/no corners?

No:
The green square: the only green one.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-14-2017, 10:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2017 10:56 PM by smp.)
My guess is the unbordered yellow square. The only figure with no border.

smp
03-14-2017, 11:36 PM
The second figure is the only one without a border.
The third figure is the only circle.
The forth figure is the only green one.
The fifth is the only small one.
And the first one is the only one that is not unique, so it is the odd one.
03-14-2017, 11:36 PM
A hint: one of the posted guesses is correct.

But why?
03-14-2017, 11:41 PM
OK, Dave posted the same time as me. He and Eric have the correct answer. The first figure has no unique features; all the rest do. This makes the first figure "odd man out."

Interesting puzzle, from the cover of the book "Can You Solve my Problems" by Alex Bellos.
03-14-2017, 11:46 PM
(03-14-2017 10:20 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 09:32 PM)SlideRule Wrote:  My 3¢ analysis - the UNBORDERED square - SlideRule
no
from Oxford Reference
odd-one-out test
QUICK REFERENCE
A type of intelligence test item or subtest in which the respondent has to choose which of several alternatives is the odd one out. A typical (difficult) example is ... Although various choices could be justified, the ‘correct’ answer to this item is ... because ... and all the others are ...

A simple no comes across as a bit 'short', no? Perhaps a tiny complimentary clue for others, since I assume this exercise is primarily for giggles and grins?

BEST!
SlideRule
03-14-2017, 11:48 PM
Try this one.
http://blog.tanyakhovanova.com/2010/01/whats-missing/
03-15-2017, 12:56 AM
(03-14-2017 11:46 PM)SlideRule Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 10:20 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  no[/size]
from Oxford Reference
odd-one-out test
QUICK REFERENCE
A type of intelligence test item or subtest in which the respondent has to choose which of several alternatives is the odd one out. A typical (difficult) example is ... Although various choices could be justified, the ‘correct’ answer to this item is ... because ... and all the others are ...

A simple no comes across as a bit 'short', no? Perhaps a tiny complimentary clue for others, since I assume this exercise is primarily for giggles and grins?

BEST!
SlideRule

Sliderule, yeah, it's just for fun, like all puzzles. I didn't mean to be short, and who is to say what is right and wrong? Not moi, certainly. I didn't select the "correct" answer either, I said it must be the green one! But then I read the official answer and it did make sense.

I just got the book in the mail today and there are many interesting puzzles in it. In one of them, you have to figure out a rule for generating a number, and there is an obvious rule that works for all of the examples until you get to the very end, and then it doesn't work, so you have to go back and find the real rule which is not so easy to guess as the first rule you made (now I'm confusing myself!).

Anything that makes you think is a good thing. That's why IBM's motto is what it is.

Don
03-15-2017, 02:49 AM
(03-15-2017 12:56 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Sliderule, yeah, it's just for fun ...

Don
Thanks for the reply - I enjoy the unique answers and approaches of the many members to the various propositions tendered by the diverse membership.
I also intended no sleight. Keep 'em coming!

SlideRule
03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
(03-14-2017 11:41 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  OK, Dave posted the same time as me. He and Eric have the correct answer. The first figure has no unique features; all the rest do. This makes the first figure "odd man out."

Interesting puzzle, from the cover of the book "Can You Solve my Problems" by Alex Bellos.

Don, I think you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the long rectangle that contains ALL THE OTHER SHAPES!!! No other shape has other shapes inside it.

Namir
03-15-2017, 05:05 PM
(03-15-2017 03:57 PM)Namir Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 11:41 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  OK, Dave posted the same time as me. He and Eric have the correct answer. The first figure has no unique features; all the rest do. This makes the first figure "odd man out."

Don, I think you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the long rectangle that contains ALL THE OTHER SHAPES!!! No other shape has other shapes inside it.

Namir
Oh, I see what you mean. That "long (vertical) rectangle" is not one of the shapes to be evaluated, it is a relic of my cutting a copy of the book cover so that the name of the book was not revealed in the image I scanned.

Don
03-15-2017, 08:14 PM
I do not read your posts, my idea is the text below the shapes - because that is a text only.

Csaba
03-16-2017, 03:26 AM
(03-15-2017 05:05 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  
(03-15-2017 03:57 PM)Namir Wrote:  Don, I think you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Namir
Oh, I see what you mean. That "long (vertical) rectangle" is not one of the shapes to be evaluated, it is a relic of my cutting a copy of the book cover so that the name of the book was not revealed in the image I scanned.

Don

Ah OK!

:-)

Namir
03-16-2017, 03:13 PM
(03-15-2017 08:14 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  I do not read your posts, my idea is the text below the shapes - because that is a text only.

OK, and what is the "right" solution?!

Cs.
03-16-2017, 03:49 PM
(03-16-2017 03:13 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  OK, and what is the "right" solution?!

The creator of the puzzle says that the correct solution is the topmost square because there is nothing unique about it, whereas the other figures all have a unique feature.

Don
03-16-2017, 10:24 PM
(03-16-2017 03:49 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  The creator of the puzzle says that the correct solution is the topmost square because there is nothing unique about it, whereas the other figures all have a unique feature.

This is a unique feature of the topmost square.

Pauli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)