HP-41CX Emulator for Android?
03-18-2017, 04:40 PM
HP-41CX Emulator for Android?
RE: go41cx emulator

I'm using a very nice 41CX emulator, written by Oliver. I'm using it on an Android phone (Samsung 6 Edge +) but it's having some issues, related to module import and overlays.

I'm hoping to get this resolved without rooting my device. It's not clear what the solution is.

Symptoms:

1) When I touch the ANS field in the display, I get a page switch showing module slots, and some buttons.
2) When I click one of the module buttons, I get a popup, asking me to select a module. But the list is blank.
3) I have downloaded the .MOD files and put them in the recommended location, but the list is still blank.
4) I've tried other locations (i.e. files) but no change.

I did see a note about external SD storage which doesn't actually exist on my phone. But the author says he was going to try and rethink the way this is done and come out with a solution. Followed by DONE, which implies that it's resolved. But apparently not on my phone.

Also, I don't see any specific menus for the go41cx, for importing and such. I just see the popup, when clicking the buttons.

Same symptoms when I click the overlay tab. Overlay list is blank, even though I have loaded overlays to my phone.

Anyone know if modules and overlays are supported on the Samsung 6 Edge +
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2017, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 06:00 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
RE: HP-41CX Emulator for Android?
Once you are on the page showing the modules slots select Mods on the bottom, then press the three dots on the bottom right and select import.
The module images you placed in the go41cx modules directory will show up and you will be able to select the ones to plug in the modules slots.

See here for more details.
03-18-2017, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 06:38 PM by MikeSD.)
That's the problem. When I select the "Mods" button, it highlights, but there is no menu at bottom. No three dots, or anything. See photo. This is what I see, when I select Mods.

The problem seems to be, others see a menu at the bottome of the screen, with the 3 dots, to bring up menu. I don't ever see that. On my 6 Edge +, those buttons aren't soft buttons, on the screen. They are actual buttons below the screen.

Why no menu? No way to select import. And no actual mods show on the screen. Even though they are in the folder: /sdcard/Android/data/os2.emul.hp41cx/files/ as instructed in the manual.

I've also tried /os2.emul.hp41cx/ and I have even tried the old folder of /go41cx/

BTW, that link says this is where the modules go:
sdcard/Android/data/o2s.emul.hp41x/files/modules
Does that mean I need a "modules" folder under files? I tried it and it didn't make any difference.

[Image: Mods.png]
03-18-2017, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 06:59 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
(03-18-2017 06:27 PM)MikeSD Wrote:  The problem seems to be, others see a menu at the bottome of the screen, with the 3 dots, to bring up menu. I don't ever see that. On my 6 Edge +, those buttons aren't soft buttons, on the screen. They are actual buttons below the screen.

You may try the trick described here. Disclaimer: I have a Sony Z3 compact phone & a Sony Z3 compact tablet, but no Samsung device so I can't confirm this is working well.
03-18-2017, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 08:49 PM by MikeSD.)
Thanks, Making progress. That does bring up a button, that's more of an app that sits on top of every app, that allows access to those controls.

I tried it, and it did allow me to install the modules. But not the overlays. Also, I turned off the 41cx and now it won't turn on again. I had to uninstall and reinstall, and repeat. This time didn't turn the calc off and it's ok, except for the overlays.

Also, I can now turn off that trick app and the installed modules remain and the ones already imported, still show up. So that appears to be an "as needed" trick.

Thanks,

Update:

Overlay.TXT seems to work a little. I see the overlay and can select it, but it's very tiny and overlays with the existing overlay, instead of replacing it.

Also, if the 41cx is ever turned off, it can't be turned back on, best I can see. I've only been able to fix that by uninstalling and reinstalling everything.
03-18-2017, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 09:58 PM by MikeSD.)
Ok, got the overlays working and figured out. The only thing remaining is why the calc can't be turned ON and OFF, not that it's really necessary.

I have determined that the mere running of the other app to give modules and overlays is not the problem. I can run it and turn the calc ON and OFF. Only after using it to IMPORT, do I lose the ON / OFF functionality.

Once I've actually imported a module or overlay, IF I turn the calc OFF, I can't turn it back on. Note to self: Don't turn Calc off Big Grin

Also, the haptic effect doesn't work on the go41cx. Works fine on the go41c though. Must be a setting somewere.
03-19-2017, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 04:36 AM by MikeSD.)
More progress. That "trick" that brings up the menu has settings for the haptic feedback. That works too.

I have successfully built an overlay for a test program and verified the method of importing templates.

Now, the only thing that's keeping this from being perfect, is figuring out why the ON button doesn't work. It still will not turn on, once I import programs or overlays. Prior to that operation, I can turn the calc ON and OFF. But after importing, if I use long press, it's OFF for good, until I uninstall and reinstall everything.

Just a nit, because I really don't have to use ON/OFF Wink

Update: Found a way to turn it back ON, without uninstalling and reinstalling. A soft reset can fix the problem. But it sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries before it resets.
03-19-2017, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 05:42 PM by MikeSD.)
Almost there . Just a few more questions.

1) the .txt overlays seem pretty useful but the text is too small. Is there a way to change the overlay text size, with .txt overlays?

There,is,a text size in go41cx settings but that must be for another purpose, since it doesn't impact text size for text overlays.

2) speaking of the,"text size" in settings what is that for? Same question for the,"Full" check box. What is that for?

3) How does one use a, custom skin? Or create one? I understand there is,an UP image file snd an DN image file. But where,do they go (folder,location). I thought it might be In "skins" folder similar to modules and overlays, but putting some there does nothing.

And once skin files are, created and located properly, how does one change a skin? I see the selection input for skins, in the settings area, but I don't see any way to add new ones.

I have read the skins and overlay text file but it doesn't say where they go or how to add them. Anyone have answer to this puzzle?

4) How does one SAVE a program, as a file? I don't see that option anywhere. I'm sure it must exist.
12-23-2023, 04:12 AM
HP-41CX Emulator: Catalog?
I can't seem to run a catalog 1 2 or 3? When I try it accepts the 1 2 or 3, but then returns to the display.

Was it something I changed?

I have tried doing a hard reset.
12-24-2023, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2023 01:15 PM by Pierre.)
The modules are not in the go41cx package but are provided with the V41 emulator for Windows :
68 .mod files in MOD folder to transfer to smartphone.

on my smartphone the modules must be copied to the folder:
/Android/data/o2s.emul.hp41x/files

then in go41cx I can use these modules (see photo)

I use V41 and vb41cx on my windows PC to test my programs and I save my programs in RAW format for go41cx (and my DM41X)
but also for my 41X interface (downloadable from http://clones.phweb.me) in order to:
- generate the source in text format from the RAW file and print the program
- generate the barcode for my HP-41C and CV
- generate the dump for my DM41L DM41X and PX41CX calculators

programs in RAW format can also be taken from go41cx and transferred to the PC.
(the .RAW files are also in /Android/data/o2s.emul.hp41x/files)

http://ti58c.phweb.me
http://clones.phweb.me
"No! Do or Do not. There is no try!" [Master Yoda]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-24-2023, 01:38 PM
clarification :
To load/save... a program in RAW format, you must press the RAW button at the bottom right once to see the .raw files present in the /Android/data/o2s.emul.hp41x/files folder and you must press a second time to see the popup menu: save as / rename / load / delete / infos

http://ti58c.phweb.me
http://clones.phweb.me
"No! Do or Do not. There is no try!" [Master Yoda]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)