It's a pleasure to read this forum.
03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
It's a pleasure to read this forum.
I'm really amazed by communities like the one that populates this forum. Even with the advent of large and "customized" social networks, like network of blogs, subreddits on reddit, subtopics on quora and so on, one has always to swallow a lot of noise generated for - what seems to me - quick visibility and low effort before finding discussions that brings quality.

Instead here, although the community is based on niche products (relatively speaking), the forum is full of valuable topics like this (without mentioning the one where people tested the convergence speed of numerical solvers) that would be often lost when posted in the mentioned "large" communities.

It is really pleasant to read.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2017, 06:55 PM
RE: It's a pleasure to read this forum.
Good!

But let me challenge you (and others!) a bit.

Find more things that interest you and write up posts about them. Who knows when a question, problem or observation might generate lots of other people who find them interesting!

As Richard Nelson always signs emails:

X<>Y
03-27-2017, 07:41 PM
(03-27-2017 06:55 PM)Gene Wrote:  Good!

But let me challenge you (and others!) a bit.

Find more things that interest you and write up posts about them. Who knows when a question, problem or observation might generate lots of other people who find them interesting!

As Richard Nelson always signs emails:

X<>Y

This always! In the 90-9-1 rule, I try to be in the 9 (lowering the quality).

I already started to clear the dust on my hp 50g/math skills here.

03-27-2017, 10:32 PM
(03-27-2017 05:07 PM)pier4r Wrote:  It is really pleasant to read.

~50 people from this forum meet F2F every year at the HHC conference. Two days of very interesting talks and not all calculator based.

IMHO, most vintage forums have very good signal to noise ratios.
06-24-2017, 12:25 PM
(03-27-2017 06:55 PM)Gene Wrote:  As Richard Nelson always signs emails:

X<>Y

"......and wise", remembering the title of a song by Alan Parson's Project

...simply wise Smile
06-24-2017, 01:20 PM
(06-24-2017 12:25 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(03-27-2017 06:55 PM)Gene Wrote:  As Richard Nelson always signs emails:

X<>Y

"......and wise", remembering the title of a song by Alan Parson's Project

...simply wise :)

Why not "old", then?
After all, our devices (if not ourselves) are quite so by now... ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2018, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2018 11:04 AM by pier4r.)
While reading yesterday some articles from datafile (those from Valentin albillo) I realized a very nice quality of the calculator community. At least the community around those publications or discussions.

The point is that many information about explorations with applied mathematics are not mentioned by school textbooks (and I would say also university textbooks don't are bereft of them too) and I feel are frowned upon in the academia.
Instead I find the publications about calculators full of them. The same happens in the online discussions (although with a bit more noise, of which I am guilty).

Therefore one can access to plenty of interesting math / programming bits through those publications, that otherwise won't have much space - I think - in other journals/publications. Thus I am grateful to the community that since the 60' (or even before) tried to collect articles about this or that topic. It is a pity if those efforts got wasted (i.e: not collected in the public domain, for example a public library. Or even not commercially available - well aside giving out thousands of $) but kudos to all those that contributed.

Even better if those contributions are kept "still alive", for example via the document set, jake schwarz's set, the hp41 site, etc.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)